Farce

Hello

I'm trying to write a farce. Could anyone please recommend any good ones.

Ideally I'm looking for the old classic of one person trying to please two people in different rooms at the same time.

Massive thanks for any help.

AA

Fawlty Towers is an obvious example.

The Fraser episode set in the Log Cabin is very good
The Importance of Being Earnest is worth a squizz.
The recent film Moliere was very good too.

Just looked into that griff. Sounds close to what I'm looking for. Thanks. Any others would be gratefully received.

Specifically looking for someone who is struggling to entertain two different people/parties at the same time.

Bit like the Blackadder 'great booze up,' ep or a bit like the Dibley Christmas dinner ep.

Can't think of a Fawlty ep that quite does that.

Thanks though, Matthew.

Cheers Marc.

Le Cage au Foilles

No idea how to spell it, but maybe not in the same entertaining sense you mean. Will ponder.

I suppose Run For Your Wife - is this kind of farce, not my favourite but it is along these lines.

Quote: Griff @ March 26 2011, 1:10 PM GMT

I thought of suggesting Cooney and Ayckbourn also but the request was for 'good' ones and thus they don't qualify.

I also thought of Earnest, which does the pretending-to-be-different-characters-to-different-people routine, but you'd be stretching it to call it a farce? (A brilliant comedy though.)

Didn't know there was a Moliere film. I will add it to my Lovefilm list.

*checks*

Oh there's two of 'em. I'll rent the recent one.

It's great. I'd call Earnerst a farce, just not a broad knockabout one. Restoration COmedies in the main used a lot of elements of farce, coming I guess from your man across the channel.

Noel Coward's Hay Fever is full of that kind of stuff.

Quote: Griff @ March 26 2011, 1:10 PM GMT

I thought of suggesting Cooney and Ayckbourn also but the request was for 'good' ones and thus they don't qualify.

:D

I think Acybourn is notch up from Cooney, a tad petit bourgeois perhaps, but some of them read better than I thought they would.

I think I've got Hay Fever and it isn't even spring.

Oh hang on it is. :)

Thanks very much, that's all very useful.
I really appreciate your help.

Griff beat me to it with Feydeau.

But Fawlty farce? Gourmet Night is maybe the closest to the situation you're aiming toward.

When I were a lad Brian Rix always performed a farce on the Beeb at Christmas.

Another fine exponent of the farce is PG Wodehouse.

'Noises Off' A show/film about a farce within a farce. Very silly and very funny. And besides, it's got Nicollette Sheridan from Desperate Housewives looking in a way that still gets my ankles sweating. Whistling nnocently

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2fO6dzwZB0

<Dan's Joking Apart template answer>
Steven Moffat's Joking Apart.

If it was sitcom farce you were looking for.

Dan

Talking of moffatt, coupling was largely farce. And very good for it too.

Will check that out. Ta dan.