Laughing Stock 2011 Page 17

Quote: sean knight @ March 11 2011, 10:49 AM GMT

I'm currently writing a sci-fi drama which I was looking to submit to BBC writers room through the normal channels.
It would be nice to know where else I could submit it (no anatomical suggestions please)

Not sure whether now is an inspired time to be doing SF or after the drubbing that Outcasts has received will put the Beeb off for a while.

Quote: KLRiley @ March 11 2011, 10:54 AM GMT

Not sure whether now is an inspired time to be doing SF or after the drubbing that Outcasts has received will put the Beeb off for a while.

Never worry about stuff like that. Just right what you enjoy at this stage.

Totally, I'm really enjoying writing this and I'm not fretting as much about it as I was with laughing stock and sitcom mission (my first attempts at script wrting) just going where it takes me and worrying about the shiny, shiny after.

Outcasts is dire, I watched one episode and put my foot through the TV in a typical 1970's over-reaction

Quote: RJ @ March 11 2011, 10:43 AM GMT

The last script I entered for a BBC writing comp received absolutely no feedback whatsoever. Not even a "Dear Gertrude Perkins... Get stuffed..."

That same script has got me meetings with producers and interest from agents. Believe me, I know they're not the be all and end all.

This is true. I remember I entered a script to the BBC Comedy College thingy; didn't even make the top fifty, or whatever it was, who recieved a 'close but no thanks' email; that script got picked up by a production company, got me an agent, and has since put other work my way. Subjective, 'innit.

Quote: chipolata @ March 11 2011, 10:35 AM GMT

Of course I would (although I'd rather it be for a show that wasn't worthless doggeral). The point I'm making is that virtually every writer you admire didn't get their break through a writing competition.

Which is, I'd say, by and large down to it being easier to get your stuff read back in the day.

I'm in general agreement that the Beeb comps haven't unearthed masses of gold, but I'm not sure many other routes have either. It's really tricky getting in if you're not a writer performer these days. Hell, even experienced writers find it hard getting their stuff made (there was a great blog by James Cary on this recently...)

I wasn't saying don't do it. But it would probably be better going via the indie producer route.

Red Planet Media is probably one of the obvious. Tony Jordan's production company. They will look at unsolicited stuff but check out the website for details if they are running their drama competition as well.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ March 11 2011, 11:05 AM GMT

This is true. I remember I entered a script to the BBC Comedy College thingy; didn't even make the top fifty, or whatever it was, who recieved a 'close but no thanks' email; that script got picked up by a production company, got me an agent, and has since put other work my way. Subjective, 'innit.

Absolutely. I've had a widely varied amount of responses to mine.

At the moment I am just about to start writing a script for a company who rejected the exact same synopsis eight years ago. Now they couldn't be more keen.

Not another competition :O

Only kidding, thanks!

Quote: sean knight @ March 11 2011, 11:10 AM GMT

Not another competition :O

Only kidding, thanks!

have amended post. Its not solely death by competition. They'll happily read your stuff and then crush your dreams any time.

Quote: Antrax @ March 11 2011, 11:10 AM GMT

Absolutely. I've had a widely varied amount of responses to mine.

At the moment I am just about to start writing a script for a company who rejected the exact same synopsis eight years ago. Now they couldn't be more keen.

It's a funny old game, ain't it?

Well chuffed, my 1st attempt at a sitcom script has slipped through the net into round two.

Looking forward to the judges houses now - I hope I get Cheryl!

Laughing out loud

I have also received the rejection email, aka the rejection email that almost makes you feel you still might have a chance email (which is kind of cruel BBC, naughty naughty). I'm sure the people saying that this type of competition doesn't unearth success would be singing from a different hymn sheet if they had got through. Don't be bitter like an Arsenal supporter.

I (reluctantly) congratulate those of you who have made it to the next stage, be proud, be happy, have a drink for me. x

Quote: Jolley @ March 11 2011, 12:34 PM GMT

I'm sure the people saying that this type of competition doesn't unearth success would be singing from a different hymn sheet if they had got through. Don't be bitter like an Arsenal supporter.

I got through and I'm saying it!

I have heard nothing. Am now feeling much better about not getting an acknowledgement, clearly it never arrived otherwise...

Sorry Antrax, in that case just tell 'em to stuff it :P