Nineties - Golden Age Page 2

Quote: Afinkawan @ March 10 2011, 1:35 PM GMT

I didn't say it wasn't better than most other US sitcoms...

There are TONS of great US sitcoms!

As for Cybill, I always quite enjoyed watching it, it was fun, but it's not a great, no.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ March 10 2011, 1:43 PM GMT

Rubbish? Oh dear-! I'm not prejudiced about a lot of things, but I always assume that any comedy writer who doesn't like Seinfeld must surely be awful. It's the best sitcom ever.

Well then, maybe I'm an awful comedy writer.

That doesn't make Seinfeld any funnier.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ March 10 2011, 1:43 PM GMT

I always assume that any comedy writer who doesn't like Seinfeld must surely be awful. It's the best sitcom ever.

umm.. are you sure... you seem to have forgotten several American sitcoms and most British ones... ;)

Quote: Afinkawan @ March 10 2011, 1:45 PM GMT

Well then, maybe I'm an awful comedy writer.

Maybe not an awful writer, but surely a terrible person who should be locked up?

Quote: ToddB @ March 10 2011, 1:46 PM GMT

umm.. are you sure... you seem to have forgotten several American sitcoms and most British ones... ;)

No, I'm sure.

I'll settle for your indulgence of "Cybill" then, we'll agree on that! :D

Quote: Matthew Stott @ March 10 2011, 1:47 PM GMT

Maybe not an awful writer, but surely a terrible person who should be locked up?

No, I'm sure.

Well perhaps we should have a vote:

Show of hands everyone - which is the most heinous comedy offence?

a) Not liking Seinfeld

b) Thinking that Seinfeld is better than Blackadder, Fawlty towers, OFAH, Father Ted, Porridge, Hancock's Half Hour, Dad's Army, Yes Minister, Red Dwarf, Rising Damp, I'm Alan Partridge and The Rise and Fall of Reginald Perrin.

Not a fan of all that you've mentioned - but I'll agree that several are better than "Seinfeld"!

Quote: Afinkawan @ March 10 2011, 1:52 PM GMT

b) Thinking that Seinfeld is better than Blackadder, Fawlty towers, OFAH, Father Ted, Porridge, Hancock's Half Hour, Dad's Army, Yes Minister, Red Dwarf, Rising Damp, I'm Alan Partridge and The Rise and Fall of Reginald Perrin.

All very good to amazing.

I think Seinfeld is often quoted by a lot of comedy writers as their favourite. That or The Simpsons.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ March 10 2011, 1:54 PM GMT

All very good to amazing.

I think Seinfeld is often quoted by a lot of comedy writers as their favourite. That or The Simpsons.

Bit of trivia: Robin Williams says that the funniest man alive is Barry Humphries - I couldn't agree more!

Barry Humphries is wonderful. Very clever.

Cybill, I like. Seinfeld, I also like.

And now you know.

Quote: ToddB @ March 10 2011, 12:47 PM GMT

The seventies is often viewed as a Golden Age for the sitcom, but I believe that another ocurred in the nineties - on both sides of the Atlantic - think about it...

British:
The Vicar of Dibley
Father Ted
Absolutely Fabulous
Bottom
Men Behaving Badly
The Thin Blue Line
The Office
Spaced

US:
Cybill
High Society
Frasier
Seinfeld (Haven't got into it - but seems clever and popular)
Married With Children
Murphy Brown
Roseanne (Okay - it sterted in '88 - bit was mostly nineties).

I'm sure other people have suggestions from both sides of the pond - I might even disagree!
Join the chat! :D

Game On too, not many get excited about that one but I loved it. Huh? :D

90s were better for everything; comedy, music, clothes, toys, biscuits, cartoons.. everything!

Clothes?
Are you sure???
:)

Quote: AfternoonTea @ March 10 2011, 5:56 PM GMT

90s were better for everything, cartoons.. everything!

Cartoons were better in the eighties!!

Quote: Matthew Stott @ March 10 2011, 6:07 PM GMT

Cartoons were better in the eighties!!

Without a shadow of a doubt.

This isn't the first time I've seen High Society listed as a great sitcom but I have zero recollection of the show.

While it doesn't rank too high with me, Murphy Brown is always worth remembering for coming up at least twice in Seinfeld. Kramer appeared as one of Murphy's secretary's in the 'Kramer in LA Episodes' and Elaine's spec-script Jerry and George find.