Top Sitcom Monster? Page 3

I'd put forward a nomination for Jill from Nighty Night. In the first series I thought her actions were completely monstrous; she was extremely mean spirited and calculating. But by the second series, she just seemed to be insane. In fact the difference between the two series made me think of Jill as two seperate characters. Don't get me wrong, I thought both "incarnations" of the character needed to be sectioned, but I thought the second series Jill was just so childlike and detached from reality; she'd have probably been able to plead insanity to avoid a prison term.

Good point, good thought. Welcome. :)

Are you Irish Pati?

Only something silly like 1/8th, lol. To be honest the username came to me looking at some old photos of certain relatives at a BBQ last summer...

:)

I second Alan B'Stard ("The New Statesman") - utterly immoral, murderous, callous and selfish. Rivalled by his wife, Sarah.

Columbine, Comptess De Vache ("Let Them Eat Cake") prepared to kill and cause suffering to achieve her ends. Mean and ungenerous - and her underlings Bouffant and Lisette were pretty dreadful too.

Adonis Cnut ("Believe Nothing") - Another machiavellian megalomaniac with precious little consciece when it comes to achieving his own ends.

Richie and Eddie ("Bottom") - Compulsively violent, sneaky, immoral, depraved criminals.

Patsy Stone ("Absolutely Fabulous") - Sold her best friend's daughter into slavery in one episode and tried to have the same girl's newborn taken from her. Killed the girl's pet cat many years before.

Edmund Blackadder ("Blackadder") - Machiavellian would-be tyrant prepared to kill and betray in order to succeed.

The hitcher ("The Mighty Boosh") - An ancient, evil cockney who is consistently violent and intimidating. Killed all of the show's main characters in the stage version (they were later revived).

Quote: ToddB @ February 25 2011, 3:16 PM GMT

Edmund Blackadder ("Blackadder") - Machiavellian would-be tyrant prepared to kill and betray in order to succeed.

Not sure about that one. He gets more cunning as the series progress, but would any incarnation of Blackadder that we've seen, actually kill? I don't think so: he's ultimately somewhat cowardly, and that's half of the reason why - until he has a time machine to hand - he never achieves anything he wishes to. The one time he did take a life was almost by accident (in The Black Adder), and see his reaction in that one when he realises what he's done, and who to!

Murderous? Nah. Monster even? Well he's certainly not nice, but I'd say even that's debatable...

I know that he kills at least one person in the first series and poisons someone who uncovers his plot in the third. He is prepared to betray his Queen and allow her to be assassinated in the second series and allows the Prince Regent to die in his place in the third. His time travelling incarnation saves his own skin by convincing the merry men to kill Robin Hood. The first variant plans to kill his own family to get the crown. In "The Cavalier Years" - he is prepared to give up his King to be executed to save himself.

He's a scoundrel but he's never struck me as a full-on monster. And in Blackadder, he's probably the character the audience identifies with most. Not sure they would if he was a true grotesque.

Timothy's mother in Sorry! and Joanna Lumley, Patsy? in Ab Fab, and wassername in Gimme x3. My word, they all seem to be female!

I always saw Chris Finch as more of a scrote than a "monster". My nominations would be Alan B'Stard, Herr Flick or Joe Maplin.

Quote: Aaron @ February 25 2011, 3:43 PM GMT

Not sure about that one. He gets more cunning as the series progress, but would any incarnation of Blackadder that we've seen, actually kill? I don't think so: he's ultimately somewhat cowardly

Richard III aside, does he not also despatch Dougal McAngus via the medium of a loaded cannon?

Quote: Void @ February 25 2011, 9:14 PM GMT

My nominations would be Herr Flick...

Isn't he too surrounded by and clouded with ineptitude to be a real monster? He'd certainly like to be, but in reality...?

Not a full blown regular. But Slater in OFAH gets my vote.

Blackadder wasn't a monster just a realist in a world he saw as insane, a nihilist in fact, a real monster was General Melchett, who was insane.