Sitcoms from the past that you've seen lately

I've seen a few lately, and this was my response:

- The Rag Trade (BBC version): Only watched a couple of episodes. Dissapointing. Unbelievable storylines (ok, sitcoms are often unbelievable - but these didn't make sense). Seemed very 'American'. I might watch some more. But I felt it was pretty bad. A few good moments to be found - but too few.

- Pardon The Expression: Only saw first episode. Production standards seemed good. A bit thin on laughs. Ok. Hope it picks up laugh-wise though. Didn't seem to establish main character's character well.

- The Two Of Us: Saw all of Series 1 for first time. 1980s sitcom with Lyndhurst about defacto relationship. I thought it was excellent. Writing to me seemed great. Lots of funny moments and witty dialogue. End of first series was a little corny - but in keeping with genre and clever enough. I want to see more.

- So Haunt Me: First time I've seen this properly. Only watched Series 1. Yes, a good sitcom. Above average, but not as good as The Two Of Us above. Once I got a feel for the style I was into it. The first Christmas special was a bit over the top - but okay. I'd watch more.

Barely remember the first two, but I agree The Rag Trade seemed quite American in its format, big, bold and unsubtle, a servceable sitcom where viewers knew what they were getting. I think it was quite popular though, if I'm right.

I recall this as my mums favourite, Jewish comedy stuff, very funny.

Quote: dellas @ February 8 2011, 7:38 AM GMT

I recall this as my mums favourite, Jewish comedy stuff, very funny.

You mean So Haunt Me? Yes, there are a lot of Jewish jokes in this. Curious choice of subject matter - but, why not.

Yeah, like I said, I might give The Rag Trade another go. The writers did On The Buses, which I'm a big fan of. The Rag Trade also has Reg Varney.

Quote: Steve Charlie @ February 8 2011, 5:23 AM GMT

'The Two of Us'

One of my all-time favourites, and the theme tune is great!

I love So Haunt Me. Very funny, very clever. Really deserving of a DVD release.

Pardon The Expression I also really enjoy but admit it has a tendency to drag in places. I don't recall having any problems with the first episode not introducing the characters myself, but don't forget that it's a spin-off from Coronation Street so - I assume - the main ones would have been featured in and familiar to viewers through that.

The Two Of Us I've not got around to buying yet, but might do on the strength of these comments.

Watching Nathan Barley again. Not from the very very past, but still a great, funny, satirical sitcom, that's under-appreciated.

I've started watching Citizen Smith, I'm really enjoying it!

Oh, I've also been watching Roseanne, also very good.

Quote: Epiphany @ February 8 2011, 7:32 PM GMT

Oh, I've also been watching Roseanne, also very good.

The early Roseannes are excellent, shame it jumped the shark in its final season.

Quote: don rushmore @ February 8 2011, 7:43 PM GMT

The early Roseannes are excellent, shame it jumped the shark in its final season.

Yeah I heard it gets worse but I've just finished season 1 and really enjoyed it.

I love the relationship that Dan and Roseanne have together. It's never perfect, they make the most of what they've got and while they might take the piss out of each other a lot, there's also a lot of genuine affection there. I like it.

I remember my memories of Roseanne before I started re-watching this was of a whining annoying mean spirited woman, but I actually think she's great.

Quote: john lucas 101 @ February 8 2011, 1:52 PM GMT

Watching Nathan Barley again. Not from the very very past, but still a great, funny, satirical sitcom, that's under-appreciated.

Yes, Citizen Smith is very good. Thought it was a shame the girlfriend went, but they kept the show going well anyway. The Dad changed three times, as I remember.

Quote: Epiphany @ February 8 2011, 7:49 PM GMT

I remember my memories of Roseanne before I started re-watching this was of a whining annoying mean spirited woman, but I actually think she's great.

In that late 80s era of nauseatingly saccharine sweet American sitcom families, Roseanne was a great breath of fresh air. Like Married With Children.

Quote: john lucas 101 @ February 8 2011, 1:52 PM GMT

Amazing series that rewards multiple viewings. The meticulous (and hilarious) details in the "world" that Brooker/Morris constructed are great and have a biting truth to them.

I've been rewatching a bit of Black Books lately. Not too old but certainly something of a classic.

'Not On Your Nellie'.

Fellow members, give it a try you may just like it.