Current radio comedy Page 49

Just listened to Rudy's Rare Records. I don't think tonight's episode was as good as the series usually is, partly due to the fact the character of Richie is not in it.

Quote: chipolata @ January 14 2011, 9:29 AM GMT

That was possibly the worst half hour of radio ever.

I wrote that before hearing Shostopper! The Improvised Musical. Oh dear...

Quote: chipolata @ January 19 2011, 6:36 PM GMT

I wrote that before hearing Shostopper! The Improvised Musical. Oh dear...

I heard about 10 minutes of this on my way to the chip shop.

If you didn't hear it imagine the worst song rounds from "Whose Line Is It Anyway?", done by reasonably talented but incredibly annoying and smug Oxbridge am-dram students.

I can see that critics would fawn over this at the Edinburgh Festival but whoever thought it would be a good idea for the radio should be shot out of a cannon and into an industrial threshing machine.

Quote: Tony Cowards @ January 20 2011, 10:14 AM GMT

I heard about 10 minutes of this on my way to the chip shop.

If you didn't hear it imagine the worst song rounds from "Whose Line Is It Anyway?", done by reasonably talented but incredibly annoying and smug Oxbridge am-dram students.

I can see that critics would fawn over this at the Edinburgh Festival but whoever thought it would be a good idea for the radio should be shot out of a cannon and into an industrial threshing machine.

I tend to agree with Griff that Improv is horrible. It just about worked in Whose Line (although I think we remember that through rose-tinted spectacles), and it was tolerable in that Josie Lawrence/Jim Sweeny(?) show on Radio 4 a few years ago, but generally radio and television commissioners should steer clear of it.

Quote: Ian Wolf @ January 18 2011, 6:59 PM GMT

Just listened to Rudy's Rare Records. I don't think tonight's episode was as good as the series usually is, partly due to the fact the character of Richie is not in it.

It's never been a premier league radio sitcom, but I think it's developed into a nice easy-to-listen-to-show. I didn't really miss the son, though, and I suspect he'll pop up in the rest of the series.

I can't remember for how long Mark Steel has been doing that "Thought for the Day" gag which he repeated on tonight's edition of The News Quiz. I know it appears in the radio version The Mark Steel Lectures so it dates back to at least 2002.

Quote: chipolata @ January 21 2011, 3:09 PM GMT

It's never been a premier league radio sitcom, but I think it's developed into a nice easy-to-listen-to-show. I didn't really miss the son either, although I suspect he'll pop up in the rest of the series.

I do like this idea of Premier League radio sitcom. What's in it? Champions League Positions: Bleak Expectations, Old Harry's Game, Cabin Pressure, Absolute Power. Europe: On The Blog (in case anyone was in any doubt), Hut 33.

Anyway, Bleak Expectations series 2 starts on Radio 7 on Sunday 10:30pm, in case anybody is interested. Series 3 is being repeated on Radio 4, Friday, 11:30am (that's morning!)

Dan

Quote: swerytd @ January 24 2011, 9:41 AM GMT

I do like this idea of Premier League radio sitcom. What's in it? Champions League Positions: Bleak Expectations, Old Harry's Game, Cabin Pressure, Absolute Power. Europe: On The Blog (in case anyone was in any doubt), Hut 33.

On The Blog? Are you sure that's not fighting relegation?

It's good! I refer you to my previous assertions (cf. numerous posts treated with derision)

Dan

Whistling nnocently

Ed Reardon rules in very heaven itself. I'm surprised any other shows have the balls to air when they've got a series running.

Having said that the intro to ISIHAC from Chatham yesterday was the best for a long time. Paricularly liked the Dutch altitude sickness gag.

I agree that last ight's ISIHAC was very funny from start to finish. TBT and GG are underrated (and thankfully, underused).

For me, "On the Hour" was the show that took radio comedy to a completely new place.

Quote: Griff @ January 28 2011, 11:12 AM GMT

Really enjoyed Mark Thomas: The Manifesto last night. For someone I always associate with earnest agitprop

I think his TV work has been, and he's always come across as a Michael Moore immitator in that medium. But on the radio he's not bad and has a more relaxed presence. This series of Manifesto has definitely improved as it's gone a long.

Quote: chipolata @ January 28 2011, 6:20 PM GMT

I think his TV work has been, and he's always come across as a Michael Moore immitator in that medium. But on the radio he's not bad and has a more relaxed presence. This series of Manifesto has definitely improved as it's gone a long.

Smarmy Oh I agree very funny, not self-indulgent wank, everyone gets a go!.