Ever seen a comedian die on stage? Page 2

The first person I ever saw do stand-up live was a 40 (something) year old man, back in the year 2000. He was taking part in a talent competition. He wore a baggy shirt with huge collar. He also wore huge shoes (wasn't club footed) and tight jeans.

Anyway, this man absolutely died on his arse. None of his material got a laugh. One person started to laugh out of utter embarrassment. Once off stage the man left the building immediately and didn't wait for his results. He finished bottom, out of ten acts. He was poor.

That man was.......I literally have no idea.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ December 16 2010, 10:10 AM GMT

I saw Paul Shane (of Hi-de-Hi! fame) die on his feet at a working man's club - probably in the early 1970s.
He told a joke about a dancing duck that went on forever. People started shouting 'get off' and eventually the compere said to him 'come off lad, nobody's listening' and he walked off stage very embarrassed.

:D

Are you sure it wasn't Joe Beezley and Cheeky Monkey?

My dad used to go some annual trade association booze up that would hire a good circuit stand-up.

One year the guest was the bloke who played Percy Sugden in CoronationStreet who proceeded to tell a load of anecdotes in character to a room of pissed middle aged men who were expecting Frank Carson or someone.

After 30 minutes of being ignored, talked over and groaned at someone shouted; "You're not funny, you might as well of bought Ena Sharples along."

Quote: youngian @ December 16 2010, 1:08 PM GMT

Someone shouted; "You're not funny, you might as well have brought Ena Sharples"

It was probably someone with a vestried interest in the night's success.

Quote: Lord Meldrum @ December 16 2010, 1:00 PM GMT

The first person I ever saw do stand-up live was a 40 (something) year old man, back in the year 2000. He was taking part in a talent competition. He wore a baggy shirt with huge collar. He also wore huge shoes (wasn't club footed) and tight jeans.

Anyway, this man absolutely died on his arse. None of his material got a laugh. One person started to laugh out of utter embarrassment. Once off stage the man left the building immediately and didn't wait for his results. He finished bottom, out of ten acts. He was poor.

That man was.......I literally have no idea.

Laughing out loud

It happened at an event I was at but I didn't get to see it - I was facing the wrong way :(

I have, and I always find it weird how angry people get with someone for not making them laugh. :S

I saw a comedian when I was at Uni get so frustrated with the crowd that he handed the mic to someone in the front row and gave up.

As a stand up I've seen plenty of deaths but lukily it's never really happened to me.... YET.

The thing is with my act I find that if I just keep on going, they eventually come round to it. Luck of the Welsh I guess!!

Still though it is horrible when one of your friends is getting a rough time on stage. I once had to get on stage and tell everyone to be quiet during his act. It didn't go down great but you live and learn. I was very green then!

The closest I've ever seen to anyone dying on stage was Tommy and the Weeks while was at Edinburgh about two years ago. They were on the bill as part of Frank Skinner's Credit Crunch Cabaret. One or two people did boo them, but that was about it.

I went once to an event where the BBC Essex roadshow was in attendance. Later, after the roadshow had gone off the air, Paul Lee the presenter appeared on stage. He started to die a death and resorted to taking his BBC Essex shirt off and trying auction it.

The audience were spellbound looking at their watches and the room was full of the noise of car keys being jangled and the rustle of bus timetables being consulted.

Nope. Ive never recorded myself on stage.

On telly (whilst on stage) the best had to be Ricky Gervais at a charity concert. It might have been the global enviromental one a few years ago. Asked to fill in for a few minutes he did the David Brent dance and then ran out of Ideas. It's the only time iv'e laughed at him.