Frankie Boyle's Tramadol Nights Page 30

Quote: Godot Taxis @ December 24 2010, 12:30 AM GMT

That's where you're argument becomes irrelevant - when you say Boyle is 'unfunny'.

I think you'll find I said "mostly unfunny". :) What I wonder is why you are so vociferous in defending Boyle? Enjoy his comedy, fine. Argue against his detractors, fine. But I simply don't buy that Boyle is some kind of subversive comedy genius, too subtle and nuanced an act to be understood by the casual viewer. I did watch one episode of this show tonight. It was puerile, bereft of any class - a series of disjointed and fairly tired sounding stand-up shockers, interspersed by sketches which desperately wanted to be considered deep, meaningful, controversial and left-field, but which were the worst kind of wacky humour. Bad writing, bad composition and simply Not Funny Enough To Care About.

(Oh and the hierarchy of the identify of victims of disasters/atrocities bit? That was done, with far more wit, humour and without the need to use the 'P' or 'N' word 20 years ago. By Alexei Sayle.)

Fair enough to question why I might waste my energies attacking FB and his comedy. But why would you and others, as intelligent people, try to suggest that this Emperor is anything other than naked? I may indeed have an agenda - my point is that Boyle doesn't have an agenda underpinning this shit - at least not a coherent one.

Quote: Tim Walker @ December 24 2010, 12:38 AM GMT

I think you'll find I said "mostly unfunny". :) What I wonder is why you are so vociferous in defending Boyle? Enjoy his comedy, fine. Argue against his detractors, fine. But I simply don't buy that Boyle is some kind of subversive comedy genius, too subtle and nuanced an act to be understood by the casual viewer. I did watch one episode of this show tonight. It was puerile, bereft of any class - a series of disjointed and fairly tired sounding stand-up shockers, interspersed by a series of sketches which desperately wanted to be considered deep and left-field, but which were the worst kind of wacky humour. Bad writing, bad composition and simply Not Funny Enough To Care About.

Fair enough to question why I might waste my energies attacking FB and his comedy. But why would you and others, as intelligent people, try to suggest that this Emperor is anything other than naked?

It's just irritating when pricks say he isn't funny when he crafts very memorable, original jokes. It's f**king annoying. I like Boyle for the same reasons I like Derek and Clive: because he annoys people with small minds. Those small-minded c**ts annoy me every f**king day but I have to put up with it because there're millions of them and they control and own everything. FB is a bit of payback for me.

I loved Derek & Clive. A pair of pissheads not afraid/not caring about what they said. But underneath those pisshead exteriors were one comedy genius and one genius comedy sparring partner. Different class compared to Boyle. He might want to enrage and f**k with the heads of the mediocrities, but all he really does is enlist their sympathy. He's not a natural and not intelligent enough to achieve what Derek & Clive did. Cook (especially) had a sympathy and deep knowledge of his intended targets - Boyle doesn't have the wit or the humanity of someone like Peter. He's just a bitter recovering drunk/addict lashing out. And it really does show.

Derek and Clive were easily the worst thing Pete and Dud did.

Quote: sootyj @ December 24 2010, 12:55 AM GMT

Dereck and Clive were easily the worst thing Pete and Dudd did

True. And, paradoxically, the very best. If only because no-one else could have (or has done) that kind of comedy with anything like the same degree of success and respect.

I don't think songs like 'I love you so much I can't shit' and 'I'm a nigger and I f**ked a white chick', jokes about coming in the Pope's bellybutton and a public school headmaster giving his pupils a 'dickyback ride' are in a different class to the stuff on Tramadol Nights.

I think they are! I could write a whole f**king article on why they are a different class of comedy (and perhaps one day will, just to bore everyone). You've really got to look a long way beyond the words. One of Boyle's problems is he thinks that it's what you say that's the message. It isn't. It's the way you say it.

No need to pen a thesis, start with a few pointers. Although I may misunderstand you... :)

Too late to start trying to take every difference I can think of in my head and form them into some kind of coherent argument. But one of the most important reasons that Derek & Clive has a kind of warped charm to it, why it is forgiveable, is because of the characters of Pete & Dud. We very much know that Cook and Moore are playing a pair of characters, rather than versions of themselves, because we understand that they played a far more innocent and genial pair of idiots previously. Derek and Clive as characters, or as a performance, does not work nearly so well in isolation. We can accept the extremes of the language, the aggression, the misogyny etc... because we are aware that Cook and Moore, though not saints by any means, were generally respectable and respectful comedians/people in their backgrounds. We know that they are intelligent with cultured and cosmopolitan lives.

Frankie Boyle has never shown another side of himself, so what is an "act" and what is "him" is not as clear-cut. Plus, Cook and Moore (via some wonderful improvised dialogue, especially the ever-eloquent Cook) really nail their characters: these inadequate yet pompous, seedy, pathetic white working class men called Derek & Clive - men who only get any respect from themselves and each other. They're a couple of bullshitters, filling the desperate hours with talk of "that big poof nigger" and kicking Valerie in the c**t for half a f**king hour, or "naturally, I stooped down to rape her". They are, simply, boring and hollow bullies and losers. They are the joke. That much is clear.

With Frankie Boyle he a) doesn't have the attention to detail in his use of language in order to make the use of such aggressive/dark humour funny enough, and b) doesn't give any sign that tells us he doesn't actually agree with the vile things he says. In short, he doesn't give us a character which is the loser of the piece. He is the winner. And the winner (unlike Derek & Clive) will always look as though he is someone whom you should respectfully agree with, not someone who is laughable by their pathetic - if funny - disgusting-ness.

Many of the improv sketches in Derek & Clive work so successfully because Cook & Moore had spent years doing exactly the same kind of sketches, with the same rich use of character and language, but just without the really hideous, dark side let loose. Cook and Moore get away with breaking the rules of comedy with Derek and Clive because they know the rules so well. Frankie Boyle has not learnt the rules well enough to be good enough to get the language and the performance correct in order to subvert them.

(I could continue spewing this rubbish, or I could go toss off into a sock? Errr Yep, agreed.)

I disliked Boyle's disabled kid jokes intensely but the Afghan war jokes using racist language are done for a point that even the dumbest Daily Mail reader could surely work out.

However the accusation the media doesn't give a damn about faraway people we know little about is hardly new material.

Every week now seems to be mock outrage at Frankie Boyle week.

The P word is horrid it really has no place on TV, along with the R word etc.

Re: Derek and Clive. I've always liked crude stuff. But even aged 12 D&C what was the charm? Cook and Moore were 2 of the greatest comic minds this country has ever had (well, Cook) but at some point it's pretty much acknowledged they just dropped off the edge and gave up (Cook sort-of came back later).
Derek and Clive was the start of the peak for me. Nasty without wit or humour.

"Off-topic posts in this forum will be hidden"

Will they?

If so, given that the topic is 'Frankie Boyle's Tramadol Nights', we might need to take on a few extra staff to help with the forthcoming hiding operation.

Comparisons between Frankie Boyle and Peter Cook might be interesting but I can't believe anyone doubts that PC is the superior comedian by several million miles.

That's not to say Frankie isn't highly talented and Tramadol Nights isn't one of the funniest shows currently on TV

He is.

And it is.

Quote: sootyj @ December 24 2010, 9:43 AM GMT

Re: Derek and Clive. I've always liked crude stuff. But even aged 12 D&C what was the charm? Cook and Moore were 2 of the greatest comic minds this country has ever had (well, Cook) but at some point it's pretty much acknowledged they just dropped off the edge and gave up (Cook sort-of came back later).
Derek and Clive was the start of the peak for me. Nasty without wit or humour.

The first Derek And Clive album is brilliant. The others I'm not as fussed about.

Quote: Nat Wicks @ December 23 2010, 10:27 PM GMT

My article on the racism scandal and racism in comedy generally is online now if anyone cares to read.

http://www.gigglebeats.co.uk/2010/12/an-african-a-pakistani-and-frankie-boyle-walk-into-a-bar/

Really well-written article Nat. Nice one :)