Live At The Apollo - Series 6 Page 2

Just watched this on BBC iPlayer. Lee Mack was quite good, if a bit frenetic. Had some decent material and I'm a fan of his anyway, so it was nice to see him.

Rich Hall was as awful as ever. Not sure what others made of him, but I've never liked him.

Danny Bhoy didn't live up to his reputation. I've seen him a few times on TV before and he's been good, but I thought he was seriously average. Poor material, he got sidetracked and has the annoying habit of laughing at his own jokes.

I've never heard of this Whitehall bloke. I thought you meant the government stole Stewart Lee's joke.

Anyway Lee Mack and Rich Hall were great. Who cares if there's only one woman as long as who are there are funny? It's not the Guardian.

I do like Rich Hall by the way.

(And Mack but that goes without...)

The usually-funny Lee Mack was good in parts but much of his set was drawn-out and mediocre. There's better stuff written in the BCG Critique section. Lee Mack is great on panel games but he struggles to hit the same comedic heights in his stand-up routines.

Rich Hall was very good. He's a naturally funny man and such people have difficulty NOT being funny.

Danny Bhoy was mediocre: he's not naturally funny and his star won't remain in the ascendant for long.

Another 'average' episode wasn't it...

Quote: Veronica Vestibule @ December 3 2010, 10:55 PM GMT

The usually-funny Lee Mack was good in parts but much of his set was drawn-out and mediocre.

As much as I don't want to admit this, I think this is a sign that top stand-ups like Mack are now on TV too often, and doing tours that are a bit too big in scale. We know they're funny people, but many of the top flight comics seem to be struggling to get enough material together to span all their appearances across a year now.

Previously, a comedian could easy survive with an hour of material a year, but with multiple stand-up shows on TV now, it's all 'used up' very quickly indeed. Hence why we get John Bishop having to resort to telling us a boring story, and Lee Mack delivering a gag that he himself admits doesn't always work.

It'll be interesting to see what Michael McIntyre does at the Royal Variety Performance. Has he managed to come up with some new stuff, or is he going to have to recycle some Comedy Roadshow stuff?

Mack's performance did seem a little stop and starty, but I reckon that's because he was being mindful not to swear. On his DVD he says f**k where on Live at the Apollo he'd say bloody, and I think he flows better when he doesn't need to worry about naughty words.

I thought it was more consistent than last week. Lee Mack is a good host, he puts effort in but doesn't try and steal all the attention. LOVED the 'disabling cookies' joke :D

Not a big fan of Dara, but I really enjoyed his stuff about gaming. :D

Tonights episode was great. I laughed lots! Possibly my favourite Apollo lineup so far.

Yes the gaming part was good. Haven't thought of it like that before. (Books not letting you on to the next chapter, etc.)

Best episode for a while - all three delivered some funny stuff.

Loved some of the gags by Stewart Francis...

"In school other kids used to push me and call me lazy... I used to love that wheelchair"

"When I was a kid my fairy godmother asked me if I wanted a long memory or a long penis... I forget my response"

"I think women who think size doesn't matter are shallow"

Personally feel the series was tons better when it was Jack Dee's Live At The Apollo. His knack for detail and his storytelling is one of a kind. It has started to go downhill with performers not being alternated much and the material just being a rehash of their DVDs. Come on Live At The Apollo, make an effort.

Quote: Nil Putters @ December 9 2010, 9:49 PM GMT

Not a big fan of Dara, but I really enjoyed his stuff about gaming. :D

Just tweaked material off of Charlie Brooker's Gameswipe. Old + stale.

Dara is Irish so everything he says is funny. (Or so he thinks)

Quote: Chappers @ December 10 2010, 11:09 PM GMT

(Or so he thinks)

Yes yes exactly. He ain't all that. Ed Byrne is better by miles. Maybe it's over exposure. Always thought Mock The Week was only kept alive by Hugh and Frankie and the rest were just the button pushers. Eeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...........

What's the difference between Stewart Francis and UK standups?
He's slick.

See it's Shappi Khorsandi and Jack Whitehall up next... :( Between those two, I expect fewer laughs than from watching Live At The Apollo 1 Space Launch.