Trial sitcom scene

Hello,

I'm working on a sitcom set in a library. I'm just trying to get a feel of the characters, so this was a scene I wrote as an exercise. It's incomplete, and nothing much happens, so it doesn't really seem to go anywhere. But I would like some input on the characters and dialogue and...well, the jokes. Am I getting the right mood?

Ellen: Grace I'd like you to meet Rachel, our new starter.

Rachel: Hiiiii.

Grace: What do you want to work here for?

Ellen laughs.

Ellen: Oh, you'll get used to Grace, she's always playing the grumpy boots, but she's delightful really. You'll be in good hands with her.

Grace: You mean I'm getting lumbered with the new girl?

Ellen: Grace, I'd like Rachel to learn about the library from the person who knows most about it.

Grace: Well, I suppose...

Ellen: And you've probably been here since before she was born.

Grace: Alright, no need for that. If you want me to babysit, I'll babysit. Come and sit here Rachel, I'll show you how to keep your eyelids open without resorting to the use of matchsticks.

Ellen: [to Rachel] You see what I mean, you'll get on like a house on fire. Off you go Rachel, she'll look after you, and I'll come back for you later.

Grace: Yeah, when the smouldering has stopped.

Rachel sits, Ellen leaves.

Rachel: [Nodding in the direction of Ellen] She's lovely, isn't she?

Grace glares at Rachel.

Grace: So, what are you doing in this rock-pool of wisdom I like to call 'Aristotle's Lagoon'?

Rachel giggles nervously.

Rachel: I don't know.

Grace: Right. Well, I'm glad to see the selection and interview process is up to its usual standards. Plucking out the intelligentsia and casting them on the compost heap of life in favour of the mundane.

Rachel pretends to understand what she's saying.

Grace: What I mean is; how did you come to work here?

Rachel: Oh, I've got kids...

Grace: Oh good Lord, Darwin would have a fit.

Rachel: ...and it's difficult to get a decent job-share anywhere. The library seems really flexible though.

Grace: Well, we pride ourselves on catering to the lowest common denominator.

Rachel: That's maths, innit? You sound very clever. I was a bit nervous about coming here with all the clever people.

Grace: Well don't worry; I'm the exception not the rule. You'll get along fine...with Ellen.

Rachel: But Ellen seems quite clever too.

Grace: You're joking. Ellen doesn't know Jack Kerouac from Jacques Chirac. I'm not kidding; at her last book group meeting she told everyone that she thought 'On the Road' was an astounding first novel for someone with English as a second language.

Rachel: Would you like to see some pictures of my children?

Grace: No.

Rachel gets some photo's out of her pocket.

Rachel: Look, aren't they sweet?

Grace: Mmmm.

Rachel: I'm still potty training the youngest at the moment.

An old lady walks in.

Grace: Oh good, a customer. How can I help you madam?

The old woman is too out of breath to talk. She leans on the desk dramatically and hyperventilates.

OLD DEAR: All those...stairs...such a long...way...

GRACE: Alright, don't milk it.

RACHEL: Why don't you have a sit down, love?

GRACE: Don't encourage her!

OLD DEAR: Now...why won't my bus pass work?

RACHEL: Bus pass?

GRACE: Yes. Two things worth noting here. Firstly, the council decided that this year the library should issue all pensioners' bus passes in the borough. And secondly, this lady seems to be mistaking me for gypsy Rose Lee. [To the Old Lady] Have you got it with you?

OLD DEAR: Oh, wait a minute.

She empties the contents of her handbag onto the desk.

GRACE: Oh that's it, snot rags all over the desk. Charming. [Pointing at a tissue] Look, that one's got deep vein thrombosis in it. Look at it, I can see it throbbing from here.

OLD DEAR: [Handing her the bus pass] Here it is.

GRACE: Yep, that's what I thought. We went through this last week, Mrs Baker. [Reads from the pass] Expired in 2006. The bus pass, not you...unfortunately. I can do a new one for you, but you need a new photo.

OLD DEAR: A new photo?

GRACE: Yes, dear. A photograph. It's what they use now instead of wood cuttings.

(Not answering your question, but) I would avoid new-starters in a workplace in a Pilot.

It's a bit of a lame device.

It reads like a VERY poor Are You Being Served? script.

The jokes are feeble. Take this one for example:

Ellen: (to Rachel) You see what I mean, you'll get on like a house on fire. Off you go Rachel, she'll look after you, and I'll come back for you later.

Grace: Yeah, when the smouldering has stopped.

It's a terrible one-liner, worthy of Mrs Slocombe. Passable in 1975, but not today.

The dialogue is often overly-wordy and sometimes appears less than natural but this bit:

Quote: joebloggs69 @ December 6 2010, 12:44 PM GMT

GRACE: Yes. Two things worth noting here. Firstly, the council decided that this year the library should issue all pensioners' bus passes in the borough. And secondly, this lady seems to be mistaking me for gypsy Rose Lee.

is funny.

:D

Thanks for the input. I'm having trouble getting the tone right.

I look at what actually gets comissioned (e.g. Miranda), and think that the jokes are very poor. I also look at things I like, for example Blackadder, and realise that there are also a lot of creaky jokes in there too, and that it's actually very unrealistic and wordy.

It's also difficult to work out the difference between what works on stage but looks poor on the page and vice versa.

Quote: joebloggs69 @ December 6 2010, 5:24 PM GMT

Thanks for the input. I'm having trouble getting the tone right.

I look at what actually gets comissioned (e.g. Miranda), and think that the jokes are very poor. I also look at things I like, for example Blackadder, and realise that there are also a lot of creaky jokes in there too, and that it's actually very unrealistic and wordy.

It's also difficult to work out the difference between what works on stage but looks poor on the page and vice versa.

I suspect the 'Miranda' sitcom isn't especially funny on paper: but Miranda Hart's appearance and performance make it the success it is. The same is often true about other sitcoms created as comedy vehicles for people TV moguls want to make famous.

There's defo some potential to exploit humour here, yet I'm not sure about the two characters. Grace has got some quite good lines, but I feel that for such a cutting character it is strange that she gets so familiar with Rachel so quickly. Also if I was in Rachel's position of being a "newbie" and came across Grace I think my response would be more extreme, either being quite timid around her, or downright confrontational, BUT perhaps they forge a common alliance against MANAGERIAL Ellen during an episode? Just some thoughts

Thanks Bard, where is the potential - in the setting? I agree that no-one would put up with being treated like that, but couldn't the same be said for Basil Fawlty?

The setting I think. Books are interesting thinks and open up interesting questions - who's looked at them, why do they want them etc.

On the Fawlty thing, you may have a point. However if you book yourself into a hotel, on route from some other part of the world, you might we willing to put up with a load of rudeness. For one there's necessity's sake and two, for the reason you'll be leaving in the morning.

Also BF moves quickly between curt/surly, comments that he thinks/knows he can get away with, and downright unacceptable behaviour, depending on the status/nature of the person he's speaking to.

Quote: joebloggs69 @ December 6 2010, 12:44 PM GMT

GRACE: Yes. Two things worth noting here. Firstly, the council decided that this year the library should issue all pensioners' bus passes in the borough. And secondly, this lady seems to be mistaking me for gypsy Rose Lee. [To the Old Lady] Have you got it with you?

Wasn't gypsy Rose Lee a burlesque 'artist'?

Quote: Ross Armstrong @ December 9 2010, 7:24 PM GMT

Wasn't Gypsy Rose Lee a burlesque 'artist'?

She was indeed, but that shouldn't cause you to doubt her abilities as a clairvoyant.

In those days, contraception being unreliable and the consequence of unplanned pregnancy severe, aspiring young starlets often found themselves in a position to see what was coming.