Mark Gatiss's A History of Horror

This has been an enjoyable guide through three great ages of horror with some great interviews with participant directors and actors (John Carpenter and Barbara Steele being particularly memorable).

I have to agree strongly with his closing statement that although the horror movie business is financially stronger than ever, it doesn't seem to have moved on much from the ground breaking slasher movies of the 70s.

I thought I was just getting older and just clinged to the favourite films of my youth, but no they are unbelievable tired, formulaic and clichéd. It is unusual to get a well made horror with an individual vision and flair.

Ones I have enjoyed in recent years have been the Orphanage and Let the Right One In, but sadly a very small list.

I haven't seen the final episode yet (must watch it on Sky +) but it's been fantastic. Wish the series was longer.
He's a great presenter for things like this - his love for it really comes through, he's made me want to rewatch all the old horror films he talked about.

I particularly enjoyed his defence of some of horror's best actors, such as Cushing, and Karloff, who have often been looked down due to appearing in horror.
Peter Cushing in particular could play any part; snarling villain, dashing hero, bumbling professor and however bad the film he appeared in, he would play the character like it was his last performance.

Quote: youngian @ October 26 2010, 1:46 PM BST

This has been an enjoyable guide through three great ages of horror with some great interviews with participant directors and actors (John Carpenter and Barbara Steele being particularly memorable).

I have to agree strongly with his closing statement that although the horror movie business is financially stronger than ever, it doesn't seem to have moved on much from the ground breaking slasher movies of the 70s.

I thought I was just getting older and just clinged to the favourite films of my youth, but no they are unbelievable tired, formulaic and clichéd. It is unusual to get a well made horror with an individual vision and flair.

Ones I have enjoyed in recent years have been the Orphanage and Let the Right One In, but sadly a very small list.

Well, the seventies were pretty much a golden age for cinema. Full stop. It was the decade when Scorcese, DePalma, Coppola and a whole host of other great directors burst on the scene. So it's hardly surprising that some of the seminal horror movies also came from that period.

Quote: youngian @ October 26 2010, 4:44 PM BST

I particularly enjoyed his defence of some of horror's best actors, such as Cushing, and Karloff, who have often been looked down due to appearing in horror.
Peter Cushing in particular could play any part; snarling villain, dashing hero, bumbling professor and however bad the film he appeared in, he would play the character like it was his last performance.

Yes, Cushing always brought dignity to a role, and like Price was always entertaining. Seemed like a lovely chap too.

Really enjoyed it, I felt a bit silly when they talked about the church spire Omen death, and then showed the clip. I had no idea he was just stood in front of it. It's a shame there's only 3 episodes and so many great films didn't get a look in (was sad The Innocents never got a mention but hooray that The Haunting did) Hopefully BBC four will do more of this. It's just nice to see some horror stuff on TV for a change.

Quote: bamalamafizzvaj @ October 26 2010, 9:40 PM BST

Really enjoyed it, I felt a bit silly when they talked about the church spire Omen death, and then showed the clip. I had no idea he was just stood in front of it.

Yeah, that's ruined it a bit now!
:(

Great series, great enthusiastic presenter. Shame there were a few spoilers; could have done with a warning maybe.

Spoilers? On films before the 80s?

Yes. Unless you're suggesting everyone has seen every one of those films? And what about teens or others coming to the genre for the first time?

That is what I'm suggesting, yes. ;) No, but as it's a history of horror I'd expect some facts and behind the scenes info. I'd imagine that most of the people watching would have seen most of the films presented and know that Norman Bates had his mother, dead, upstairs etc.

Look at the Sixth Sense, no one worries about blurting that spoiler out and that's a recent film.

I think the series was great and included choice clips. I'm sure they considered their options. I'm just saying that the clips were spoiler heavy, often a crucial scene near the climax. Take Rosemary's Baby for example. One of the brilliant things seeing that for the first time is the sense of mounting paranoia and the possibility that Rosemary is going nuts, but the clip basically told you she wasn't. isn't this likely to diminish the enjoyment of the first time viewer?

Quote: Badge @ October 27 2010, 9:46 AM BST

Yes. Unless you're suggesting everyone has seen every one of those films? And what about teens or others coming to the genre for the first time?

Teens can f**k off! :)

Laughing out loud Agreed, mostly.

Apparently, the birthday of three of the best horror actors ever, Lee, Cushing and Price was within one day of each other, destiny or what! I haven't caught up with this series yet but I will have to watch it sometime.

I rarely watch new horror movies now, they are us too infested with special effects for my liking, I prefer a good story myself. The Ring? appallingly incomprehansible and disjointed, like so many of them now. My favourite of recent years is Blair Witch.

The Japanese Ring?

I find that terrifying.

Blair Witch was enjoyable though. (And scary.)