BBC Comedy Blu-Ray

As I'm all HD-ed up now (technically I'm 3D-ed up with our new telly, but let's not go that far yet), does anyone (ie usually Aaron!) know about BBC Comedy releases in Blu-ray?

I'm thinking primarily of The Thick Of It and Rev. TTOI series 3 was, as far as I know, shown on BBC HD and I'm not going to get the DVD if I know there'll be a Blu-Ray release at some point. And Rev is out sometime soon on DVD but nothing on Blu-Ray as far as I can find.

I've searched the interweb and can't find anything about it either way, so thought I'd ask people in the know!

Ta

Dan

It hardly seems worth investing in Blu-Ray for TV shows (except for beautifully shot ones, like Mad Men). Mostly it just highlights flaws you wouldn't have noticed on a DVD release. I watched an early season of The Sopranos Blu-Ray the other day and it looked like shite. Unless you're getting some absolutely 'must see' extras I don't see it justifying the price.

But the telly's really big and the DVD loses definition!

Dan

You'd think that but give it a go and see what looks best. The difference between a DVD and a Blu-Ray (even on a big screen) when it comes to something that wasn't shot on HD in the first place is so marginal as to be worthless. It's TV comedy after all, not a Hollywood motion picture. Take advantage of the plummetting DVD prices I say!

Can you even buy Blu-Rays of things that weren't shot in HD? That seems terribly silly.

But The Thick Of It and Rev *were* shot in HD! That's my point. They just don't seem to be available to buy in HD (yet).

I take it The Sopranos is upscaled rather than true HD then?

Dan

Quote: Nat Wicks @ September 23 2010, 10:40 AM BST

Can you even buy Blu-Rays of things that weren't shot in HD? That seems terribly silly.

How about any film created pre 2000?

Unless it's digitally enhanced, there's no point in putting it on Blu Ray.

Quote: swerytd @ September 23 2010, 10:43 AM BST

But The Thick Of It and Rev *were* shot in HD! That's my point. They just don't seem to be available to buy in HD (yet).

I take it The Sopranos is upscaled rather than true HD then?

Dan

I know what you're saying but how much definition do you really need for a shaky cam sitcom following a bunch of guys dicking around offices and the back of taxis? How sharp do you really need that to be to find it funny?

PS. early Sopranos was upscaled, yeah. They looked like they were shot originally on 16mm film.

I think we've lost focus...

You're right -- I'll just buy it on CD ;)

Dan

Quote: swerytd @ September 23 2010, 11:15 AM BST

I think we've lost focus...

You're right -- I'll just buy it on CD ;)

Dan

If you like I could come to your house one night and pretend to be Chris Langham.

I was up for that for a second but had confused 'Langham' for 'Packham'.

Would it be Blu-Ray you or SD?

Dan

Quote: David Bussell @ September 23 2010, 10:58 AM BST

How about any film created pre 2000?

Unless it was shot on film, in which case it (probably) has HD resolution.

Quote: swerytd @ September 23 2010, 11:23 AM BST

I was up for that for a second but had confused 'Langham' for 'Packham'.

Would it be Blu-Ray you or SD?

Dan

Sorry, I'm presented in SD Panoscope.

Quote: Aaron @ September 23 2010, 11:25 AM BST

Unless it was shot on film, in which case it (probably) has HD resolution.

Not True HD surely? Isn't that a video thing?

Back to the original question. There are no plans that I'm aware of at present for Blu-ray releases, so I'd advise to just buy the DVD (through the BCG shop, naturally). I would expect them to emerge at some point, but 2 Entertain/BBC Worldwide do not really have what one could consider an encouraging track record in keeping up with format trends, technological changes and whatnot. In fact, if I were a betting man I might put money on the aforementioned shows being available via HD on demand streaming services before they're released on Blu-ray.