Did Alanis Morissette ever respond to Ed Byrne... Page 2

Quote: Badhead @ September 12 2010, 5:41 PM BST

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nT1TVSTkAXg

Fankoo

Quote: Godot Taxis @ September 12 2010, 5:59 PM BST

You haven't missed anything. The trouble is, 'ironic' in terms of pop lyrics is extremely well written.

I agree. All her stuff from the Jagged Little Pill album are fab.
Nothing great since though. :(

Quote: bamalamafizzvaj @ September 12 2010, 8:53 PM BST

Really? Reallllllllly?

Most pop lyrics are garbage - beyond garbage. They don't scan, rhyme or make sense. They step in and out of tense and fail to adhere to even elementary parameters of syntax and grammar. See the examples I gave. There are millions more execrable lines to choose from. In the context of that, 'Ironic' is Seamus Heaney.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ September 13 2010, 12:33 AM BST

Most pop lyrics are garbage - beyond garbage. They don't scan, rhyme or make sense. They step in and out of tense and fail to adhere to even elementary parameters of syntax and grammar. See the examples I gave. There are millions more execrable lines to choose from. In the context of that, 'Ironic' is Seamus Heaney.

Thanks for the great insight Godot.

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ September 13 2010, 12:43 AM BST

Thanks for the great insight Godot.

Don't tell me, Ed Byrne's your dad.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ September 13 2010, 1:40 AM BST

Don't tell me, Ed Byrne's your dad.

Laughing out loud

Quote: Godot Taxis @ September 13 2010, 12:33 AM BST

Just because there's a lot of guff in pop lyrics, that doesn't mean Ironic is any good. Perhaps slightly less shit than many pop songs, but still essentially arse.

Give her a break, she was only a teenager when she wrote that album. Take a look at the smash hit pop songs you were writing back then and see if they match up.

Quote: David Bussell @ September 13 2010, 1:31 PM BST

Give her a break, she was only a teenager when she wrote that album. Take a look at the smash hit pop soings you were writing back then and see if they match up.

I'm really Kate Bush.

Quote: bamalamafizzvaj @ September 13 2010, 1:34 PM BST

I'm really Kate Bush.

Damn it, why does this keep happening to me?!

Ironic is an excellent song, if you ignore the obvious fault.

There are plenty of songs that I love despite having major problems with them...

The Clash, "Should I stay or should I go now, if I go there will be trouble, if I stay it will be double", well go then, it's half the trouble of staying, it's a no-brainer.

Billy Bragg "I was 21 years when I wrote this song, I'm 22 now but I won't be for long" well were you 21 or 22 when you wrote the song? If you were 21 why were you writing that you were "22 now"?

Deacon Blue "I'll do what I should've did", what I should've did? Just because it rhymes with "real gone kid" doesn't excuse such shoddy grammar.

I could go on but this is a brief example of my problems with pop music... I am a troubled man.

Quote: Tony Cowards @ September 13 2010, 2:04 PM BST

I could go on but this is a brief example of my problems with pop music... I am a troubled man.

You are, Tony, you are.

At least the examples that you cite are to do with artistic licence, rather than the total misunderstanding of a concept.

The amount of times you hear people going on about things being 'ironic', when they are actually just coincidence. Makes me do a big Rolling eyes

There are plenty of songs that I love despite having major problems with them...

The Clash, "Should I stay or should I go now, if I go there will be trouble, if I stay it will be double", well go then, it's half the trouble of staying, it's a no-brainer.

That was basically crap.

Billy Bragg "I was 21 years when I wrote this song, I'm 22 now but I won't be for long" well were you 21 or 22 when you wrote the song? If you were 21 why were you writing that you were "22 now"?

That was class.

Not sure why my first observation was "basically crap", 100% trouble is more desirable than 200% trouble surely? It's not much of a dilemma.

I also don't really get Carly Simon's song "You're so vain, you probably think this song is about you", well it is about him isn't it?

It's about him being so vain, so him thinking the song is about him is more perceptive than a sign of vanity, surely?

Quote: Tony Cowards @ September 13 2010, 5:54 PM BST

Not sure why my first observation was "basically crap", 100% trouble is more desirable than 200% trouble surely? It's not much of a dilemma.

I also don't really get Carly Simon's song "You're so vain, you probably think this song is about you", well it is about him isn't it?

It's about him being so vain, so him thinking the song is about him is more perceptive than a sign of vanity, surely?

I bet you love the Pulp song 'Something Changed'