The Television Writers Strike Page 3

You man slag!

Quote: Aaron @ November 8, 2007, 11:14 PM

You man slag!

*In Scottish Ewan McGregor Trainspotting accent*

Don't tell me you're not tempted!

I think that I may be sick. Excuse me.

The news story from the front page is quite interesting https://www.comedy.co.uk/news/news.php?story=000327

So UK writers are considering sending material across to the US, although I was just making a joke. I reckon people not a part of the Writers Guild will have a good chance of getting material made over in the US if this strike goes on for a long while.

Quote: Martin Holmes @ November 8, 2007, 6:11 PM

America is going through a golden age of television at the minute though,

We are? Then how come there was nothing on TV at the start of the season? There's only a handful of shows that I like, and then the writer's strike has put a damper to it.

We mostly get the best of the bunch imported over here though Camo. I'm sure 90% of US television is a shit as ours.

Quote: Camo @ November 11, 2007, 3:39 PM

We are? Then how come there was nothing on TV at the start of the season? There's only a handful of shows that I like, and then the writer's strike has put a damper to it.

Well I named about 13 shows on the last page, that's a hell of a lot more quality TV shows than we've got at the minute.

Quote: Leevil @ November 11, 2007, 4:44 PM

We mostly get the best of the bunch imported over here though Camo. I'm sure 90% of US television is a shit as ours.

If not worse. Much of it takes "cack" right down to whole new levels.

Having said that, they have the right idea with their sitcoms (the ones I've seen recently anyway). Stuff that's unashamedly funny, without trying to be clever and challenging. So basically, everything I like about comedy, and nothing I hate. :)

Quote: Martin Holmes @ November 11, 2007, 5:10 PM

Well I named about 13 shows on the last page, that's a hell of a lot more quality TV shows than we've got at the minute.

All depends on your tastes though, doesn't it? I'd sit through a million Green Green Grasses before a single episode of most of the programmes you listed.

Quote: Aaron @ November 11, 2007, 5:30 PM

All depends on your tastes though, doesn't it? I'd sit through a million Green Green Grasses before a single episode of most of the programmes you listed.

Well yeah it's a matter of good taste and bad taste, you seem to fall into the latter. :P

If you haven't seen any of the programmes I've listed I'd definitely recommend checking them out, Dexter especially that show is just pure quality.

Good taste, bad taste, Yank taste... It's all relative. Bad taste is Big Brother et al. though.

Some I've seen, some not. Shall investigate this Dexter dealy.

Quote: Martin Holmes @ November 6, 2007, 8:15 PM

It was a joke by the way. Hence the winking smiley. :)

This is really going to mess up a lot of shows though, hope it doesn't go on too long because it could effect Season 4 of Lost and we've been waiting long enough as it is.

Yeah, what will channel 5 and E4 show?!

Back on topic...

There's a demo in support of the Writers' Guild of America strike this Wednesday 28th November at 12 noon outside the TUC in Great Russell St, London WC1.

Check out this interesting NewsWeek.com article which explains what the fuss is about and talks some financial numbers.

Anyone can attend this Wednesday's strike - if you're an aspiring writer I'd say it'd be worth turning up to help ensure your future wages in the industry - but also because it's going to be a great place to meet some of your heroes and do a bit of networking!

Finally, here's the e-mail about the demo from the Guild themselves:

"The demo, which is part of an International Day of Solidarity, will take place at 12 noon outside the Trades Union Congress HQ in central London. The event will be headed by the President of the Writers' Guuild of Great Britain, David Edgar, and we hope that as many members as possible will join us to show their support. Official Writers Guild of America T-shirts and placards will be distributed to participants in the demo. The event will be filmed and we hope that a video compilation covering demos in Britain, Ireland, Australia, Canada and other countries will be added to the many strike-related clips on YouTube. Supporters from other British trade unions will also be taking part. A top-level TUC meeting will be discussing the US screenwriters' strike earlier the same day. WGGB General Secretary Bernie Corbett said: "Guild members and other supporters are urged to come to the TUC in Great Russell Street (near Tottenham Court Road tube station and the British Museum) at 12 noon sharp on Wednesday to make this a convincing demonstration of support. This demo coincides with reopened negotiations aimed at settling the strike by achieving fair payments for the use of writers' work on new media platforms such as the internet and mobile phones." WGA supporters have posted a number of informative and entertaining videos on the internet. For these and other strike information please visit www.unitedhollywood.com or www.wga.org

Yeah, if anyone is attending (and coming via TCR Tube) head for the north-east exit, which brings you up outside the Dominion Theatre (We Will Rock You). Head straight up TCR and it's the first road on the right. TUC building is about 2 or 3 minutes walk from the ticket barriers in the station.

Can you tell I know the area quite well?

Quote: Aaron @ November 26, 2007, 4:40 PM

Yeah, if anyone is attending (and coming via TCR Tube) head for the north-east exit, which brings you up outside the Dominion Theatre (We Will Rock You). Head straight up TCR and it's the first road on the right. TUC building is about 2 or 3 minutes walk from the ticket barriers in the station.

Can you tell I know the area quite well?

If you're going past Birbeck College you can wave at my Dad :)

Haha, ok.

*secretly sends bombers*