The all-in-one consolidatory football thread Page 167

Yeah, he kicked it onto his face. First of many I hope.

Quote: Jack Massey @ August 8 2010, 5:31 PM BST

First bit of silverware of the season. Was a good performance today. Scholes ran that midfield with excellet passing and Valencia's crossing as ever was top class. Berba got a goal, hopefully he'll go on a good run and show everyone his full potential.

Does the Community Shield count as silverware? United only 'qualified' by default because Chelsea won the double and they were runners- up in the league. ;)

Jack, I hope you take this in the manner intended - it's called footie banter and as a Liverpool fan that's about all we've got left these days. Rolling eyes

I take it in the manner that you're a Liverpool fan, Tuumble i.e. one of the original glory hunters.

Rats, ship come to mind ?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/8896134.stm

Quote: Ben @ August 8 2010, 8:29 PM BST

I take it in the manner that you're a Liverpool fan, Tuumble i.e. one of the original glory hunters.

How dare you sir! Laughing out loud

I have quite a few family members in Liverpool so I do at least have a connection with the place. Actually, Liverpool are in second place in my teams: Lincoln are first as that's where my immediate family are from, the 'pool are second, Peterborough third because I was brought up round here, Norwich fourth as I used to live there and by a bizarre tenuous link, Derby are fifth.

An important point: No-one should call themselves a supporter of a club unless they go to games or make some form of financial commitment to a club. In my case I'm a follower these days though I do go to games when I can and more often when I can afford it...which is not often. :(

Quote: Oldrocker @ August 8 2010, 9:27 PM BST

Rats, ship come to mind ?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/8896134.stm

Jeez! What a fiasco!

That's another reason for me to dislike Brown as I never rated him anyway but at least he had the decency to do it face to face.

I don't think you need to make a financial contribution to be a supporter. That's season ticket snobbery!

You can follow a teams fortunes or you can support them by paying to watch them play or by buying a shirt or the clubs merchandise. I wouldn't necessarily say I do enough of the latter to claim to be a supporter to be honest.

I'm not going to lose any sleep over the difference but I just think the act of 'supporting' is by providing some financial backing - however small - that helps build the club for the future.

If I don't support Liverpool then I'm happy to call myself a follower or whichever is the appropriate terminology.
I Live in London & have never even been to Anfield, or even been to Liverpool which is why I call myself a Beatles fan & not a shareholder.

I just wish I'd never bothered to try & explain myself when being accused of being a Cockney red or a glory hunting armchair whatever.
Liverpool are the team I would like to see win, and always have been, and if I'm not quite enough of a supporter then I'm happy to be left off the register.

No worries Steve - I almost wish I hadn't mentioned it because I don't really think it's that important. It was just something that occured to me the other day that there is a difference in the way that people follow/support their clubs - it's certainly not one size Fitz Hall.

I mean, I care how Norwich do because I used to live there and have seen probably a dozen or so Norwich games home and away. That's all well and dandy but compare that to my wife's friend Andrea who has just 'celebrated' her 1000 consecutive Norwich City match. She's seen them in the San Siro in Milan and the Olimpiastadion in Munich as well as places like Yoevil. That's a real supporter.

I'm not sure why I seemed to be ranting about something that I obviously don't care that deeply about.

There are definitely some very dedicated supporters, I wonder how many regular fans of Clubs like Chelsea have been priced out of Season tickets in recent years.

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ August 8 2010, 11:42 PM BST

I'm not sure why I seemed to be ranting about something that I obviously don't care that deeply about.

There are definitely some very dedicated supporters, I wonder how many regular fans of Clubs like Chelsea have been priced out of Season tickets in recent years.

True.

I took my boy to see Posh play Sunderland in a pre-season friendly last season and by the end of the evening I'd spent nearly £40. I just can't afford that kind of money on a regular basis.

Wonderful quote from The Sun's report on the Charity Shield . .

Terry's failure to get closer to Rooney in the chase for Paul Scholes' punt allowed his England pal to turn the ball through JT's legs for Antonio Valencia to score.

It is not the first time the space between Terry's legs have caused him problems in recent months.

:D

Why don't you like Wes Brown Tuumble. I think he's a legend. Outstanding in the 07-08 season at Right Back. Get him in full fitness, get him back at right back.

Peter Crouch. Tut tut tut.

Martin O'Neill has resigned (for real this time). To cut a long story short, we're f**ked.