How about this for a sitcom idea?

A take-off of Coro Street. Could be very funny. A bit like 'Soap' but British style. Could be a good laugh for at least one series.

There's already been at least one spin off sitcom of Coronation Street.

Not quite the same thing as you're suggesting though, I suppose.

Sustained parody is extremely hard to write. It only really works when it succeeds in transcending the original concept and takes on a life of its own.

Coronation Street pretty much began its life as a sitcom. Dig out the writing credits for the first few years and you'll see names more recognised for their comedy than dramatic credentials by far.

Do you mean like keith Chegwin Whistling nnocently

There was an US version of Corrie starring Wiener Sharples.

Quote: Frankie Rage @ July 25 2010, 10:53 AM BST

There was an US version of Corrie starring Wiener Sharples.

I first read that as Wesley Snipes.

Quote: Timbo @ July 25 2010, 10:13 AM BST

Sustained parody is extremely hard to write. It only really works when it succeeds in transcending the original concept and takes on a life of its own.

That's what 'Soap' did successfully I suppose. It started off as a parody but became a soap itself kinda as it continued.

Quote: Timbo @ July 25 2010, 10:13 AM BST

If you recall, 'Allo 'Allo! was based on the very serious war drama Secret Army and succeeded in becoming much more popular. I loved Secret Army and remember finding 'Allo 'Allo! quite distasteful at first, although it grew on me of course.

Hi, I am a very experienced BBC trained Comedy Producer/Director. I run a Online
One to one email mail/skype comedy script mentoring course. My aim is to help writers get there script and pitch in the best possible shape for them to send into the Indies & Broadcasters. Email me. See my profile and look me up on IMDB Roy Gould

Quote: Roy Gould @ July 28 2010, 11:59 AM BST

Hi, I am a very experienced BBC trained Comedy Producer/Director. I run a Online
One to one email mail/skype comedy script mentoring course. My aim is to help writers get there script and pitch in the best possible shape for them to send into the Indies & Broadcasters. Email me. See my profile and look me up on IMDB Roy Gould

Ugh, we get it Roy. And how about you at least check your spelling before you go around offering script mentoring?

Quote: Roy Gould @ July 28 2010, 11:59 AM BST

look me up on IMDB

You were assistant floor manager of Are You Being Served? and production manager of 'Allo 'Allo!? Got any good anecdotes about either of those shows?

Quote: James BradburyHarding @ July 25 2010, 11:08 AM BST

I first read that as Wesley Snipes.

So did I.

Harry Hill did a pilot called Soapington Way which I saw. Shame it was never taken up. I reckon they should put it out on DVD.

Quote: Kenneth @ July 28 2010, 12:11 PM BST

You were assistant floor manager of Are You Being Served? and production manager of 'Allo 'Allo!? Got any good anecdotes about either of those shows?

No.
But he can lick your double-entendres into shape.
Oohh! Missus!