Rev - Series 1 Page 7

Quote: David Carmon @ July 13 2010, 2:56 AM BST

With a title like that I thought it was going to be about cars. Might have to watch it now.

Laughing out loud Jeremy Clarkson's in it next week, you'll like that.

Quote: Lee Henman @ July 13 2010, 1:27 AM BST

This isn't a sitcom, it's a comedy-drama surely. You can tell by the 2.3 laughs per episode. How is this being touted as a sitcom? Sitcoms have loads of funny bits in them. This doesn't.

My feeling so far is that it's really well-written and has some great performances, but it's a comedy-drama.

Not a sitcom.

And Hollander is a fine actor but he ain't funny. Not in this show anyway.

I've only watched the first ep so far BTW so I might be being premature.

But - "sitcom"? Nah.

Can we just settle on good TV then?
We should be thankful - there's precious little.

Excellent TV.

Quote: Lee Henman @ July 13 2010, 12:38 PM BST

Excellent TV.

Even better.

I always judge a programme by how much I look forward to it and how I feel afterwards.
This continues to score well on both fronts.

Quote: chipolata @ June 28 2010, 10:44 PM BST

When we heard him praying it reminded me of Butterflies or Open All Hours.

Also these scenes are starting to remind me of the Don Camillo stories. There is very good BBC adaptation of this witty Italian comedy in the early 80s with Mario Adorf in the title role
Instead of battling the Communist mayor, secular apathy seems to be the Rev Smallbone's main opponent.

Is his name, Smallbone, supposed to be a gag? It's the sort of name you expect Kenneth Williams to be called in a Carry On film.

Yes, it only struck me as funny after he was introduced to someone while in the strip club. :)

Quote: zooo @ July 13 2010, 3:32 PM BST

Yes, it only struck me as funny after he was introduced to someone while in the strip club. :)

It seems weird though, in the style of show it is, if it is supposed to be a joke.

I don't think it's funny enough to be a deliberate joke, really.

I'm not sure.

Quote: zooo @ July 13 2010, 4:13 PM BST

I don't think it's funny enough to be a deliberate joke, really.

I'm not sure.

Exactly, but it's a weird name, like it's supposed to be a joke. He's more or less called Rev. LittleWilly.

Teehee. Now that would be funny.

Absolutely love this show. It's not a laugh a minute, but it's just got some really cracking characters. And it gets a lot of mileage out of the urban and cynical setting. I subtitled it elsewhere as "Definitely not 'The Vicar of Dibley.'"

Quote: youngian @ July 13 2010, 3:24 PM BST

Also these scenes are starting to remind me of the Don Camillo stories. There is very good BBC adaptation of this witty Italian comedy in the early 80s with Mario Adorf in the title role

Fondly remembered, but sadly not available on DVD - I just checked (though bizarrely there is a version starring Spaghetti gunslinger Terence Hill).

I never realised Olivia Colman could look so sexy.

Stupid Rev wants to have his cake and eat it. He has sexy wife at home, shouldn't need haughty teacher lady as well. Greedy.