Why is 'A Fish Called Wanda' funny? Page 3

Quote: Godot Taxis @ March 5 2010, 12:22 AM GMT

If I didn't know better I'd think sometimes that an 11 year old girl writes your posts.

I'll do my very best in future just to agree with whatever opinion you have, so as not to get on your wick. Aren't I a nicey? :)

Quote: Matthew Stott @ March 5 2010, 9:07 AM GMT

I'll do my very best in future just to agree with whatever opinion you have, so as not to get on your wick. Aren't I a nicey? :)

No man, you're so way off. I don't want you to agree with me (in fact I'd prefer it if you didn't) If you don't accept my point about people looking for reassurances before they laugh at something then you must believe some other process goes on. I just want to know what you think it is.

If someone says 'all elephants are grey' and someone else says 'actually they aren't' the person saying they aren't is entitled to say what colour they think they are if they're not grey.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ March 6 2010, 12:28 AM GMT

If you don't accept my point about people looking for reassurances before they laugh at something then you must believe some other process goes on. I just want to know what you think it is.

Obviously that happens sometimes, but you seem to be under the misapprehension that if you yourself don't like something, then the people who do are either idiots, or just going along with the crowd/peer pressure. Of course this can't always be true, sometimes you just don't happen to like something that others do; it doesn't make these people idiots or lesser. If that isn't your actual opinion, it's how you come across.

Well I'd make a distinction between liking something and it being good. I like loads of things that for sure are total toss. Sometimes I like them because they are toss.

I liked Shaun of the Dead and thought it was both clever and funny. I thought Hot Fuzz was lazy, unpleasant and unfunny. Now it's perfectly possible to enjoy both films but not for the same reasons because they are not of similar quality.

Everyone's got a plimsoll line below which they think everyone is a f**king idiot. The tide is just higher and lower for different people.

If I may interject, where does the phrase plimsoll line come from?

A Fish Called Wanda is funny because of the great characters they created and the situations they put them in. Almost all of them were unique, non-stereotypical and quirky. Also the script is very lean and gets on with it from start to finish. But of course people won't like it. Because humour is subjective.

I wish we could have this sentence splashed across the banner or something as so many arguments on this forum start because one person finds something funny that someone else doesn't. It will always be the case and the conclusion will always be 'humour is subjective'.

Quote: zooo @ March 6 2010, 11:51 AM GMT

If I may interject, where does the phrase plimsoll line come from?

It's on a ship and tells if it's overloaded - ie if you can see it you're safe -if not you could be in trouble. I think Plimsoll was the name of the bloke who devised it.

Quote: ContainsNuts @ March 10 2010, 3:07 PM BST

I wish we could have this sentence splashed across the banner or something as so many arguments on this forum start because one person finds something funny that someone else doesn't. It will always be the case and the conclusion will always be 'humour is subjective'.

Spot on. Also, to accuse people of sheep mentality for finding something funny smacks of arrogance and an absolutely egocentric view of the World.

Going back to the original question, I'd have to say I find the film very funny.
It's worth watching just for the scene where Wanda visits Archie at his home, and his wife and daughter return. John Cleese's performance in that scene is fantastic! Laughing out loud

Go away you spamming bastard.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ June 10 2010, 11:21 AM BST

Charming!

Quote: Godot Taxis @ June 10 2010, 11:21 AM BST

Eh?

It's Godot's time of the month, don't worry about it. :)

Quote: Aaron @ June 10 2010, 11:28 AM BST

And it's been a very long month...

Quote: Aaron @ June 10 2010, 11:28 AM BST

Ker-tish! Joke #11 from Aaron's slim joke fund (adopts Lotto voice) appearing for the third time on this forum and a variant of prison-rape-syndrome slang where men are feminised for degrading and controlling purposes.

Quote: David Bussell @ June 10 2010, 11:54 AM BST

And it's been a very long month...

You love it. Anyway, shouldn't you be in America spending Stott's money?

Apologies to the original poster if he is not actually a spammer. His post initially looked like one.