Why is 'A Fish Called Wanda' funny? Page 2

Quote: chipolata @ February 20 2010, 11:14 PM GMT

It is a great film, but Four Weddings And A Funeral and Shaun Of The Dead match it in terms of quality.

I also agree that youre a mentalist! Four Weddings may come close in terms of success only, but not quality. And SOTD?? Not the most original and inventive script. (cant stand the 'From Dusk till Dawn' ending)

I have always found AFCW funny mainly on account of the zany Michael Palin part. I have my problems with much else in it, due to the unlikeability of most of the characters. It did seem very much of its time when last I saw it.

Quote: Cheesehoven @ February 23 2010, 10:10 AM GMT

It did seem very much of its time when last I saw it.

Strange that. Things seemingly being of their time. I hope we're not due for a remake with ipods and twitter, and Russell Brand as Archie Leach, and Jim Carrey in the Otto role.

And of course if it's funny or not it does have the wonderful Jamie Lee Curtis at hecr peak. What a stunning woman!

Quote: Kenneth @ February 23 2010, 11:21 AM GMT

Strange that. Things seemingly being of their time. I hope we're not due for a remake with ipods and twitter, and Russell Brand as Archie Leach, and Jim Carrey in the Otto role.

Who would play Ken and Wanda then?

Dave, you're not alone in not finding A Fish Called Wanda funny. I can only remember one joke - the one about thinking the London Underground was a political organisation.

It joins a number of films that are supposed to be funny such as 4 Weddings, Blues Brothers, Hot Fuzz... but actually aren't.

It's hard to know whether people actually find these funny - in which case they're VERY easily amused - or whether they're bouyed along by subliminal peer pressure.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ March 2 2010, 1:32 PM GMT

It joins a number of films that are supposed to be funny such as 4 Weddings, Blues Brothers, Hot Fuzz... but actually aren't.

It's hard to know whether people actually find these funny - in which case they're VERY easily amused - or whether they're bouyed along by subliminal peer pressure.

Or just enjoy something you don't . . ? It happens.

I've never seen 'Wanda', I'll have to get round to it at some point.

I think there's very often "subliminal peer pressure" at play in any comedy. Laugh and the world laughs with you. I'm sure many of us find it far easier to laugh in company than alone for reasons connected to this.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ March 2 2010, 1:39 PM GMT

Or just enjoy something you don't . . ? It happens.

It doesn't really work like that. A good example is a 'racist comedian' like Bernard Manning. You will find umpteen post on here by people saying they don't find him funny. What they mean is they're not prepared to laugh at his jokes. They stop themselves because they are offended by what he represents to them. It's not that his jokes are unfunny. Comedy after all is a formula. It's just that people require a lot of reassurances before they laugh at anything - which is why jokes are ethnically defined.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ March 2 2010, 5:54 PM GMT

It doesn't really work like that.

Sometimes it just does Godot. I liked Hot Fuzz, not as much as some of their previous work, but I did like it. Nobody told me to like it, I just do.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ March 2 2010, 7:28 PM GMT

Sometimes it just does Godot. I liked Hot Fuzz, not as much as some of their previous work, but I did like it. Nobody told me to like it, I just do.

I told you to like it. Don't you remember, I was hammering bamboo under your fingernails and everything.

I just watched A Fish Called Wanda a couple of weeks ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. Clever script, great performances and some cracking norks on Jamie Lee Curtis.

Quote: David Bussell @ March 3 2010, 2:25 PM GMT

... some cracking norks on Jamie Lee Curtis.

Always with the norks, huh Bussell? In which case, I hope you've watched Trading Places and The Tailor of Panama.

Not a fan of Four Weddings or Shaun of the Dead, but I do love The Blues Brothers, probably because I am easily amused and follow the herd. Great music, great fun and great heart.The 2000 sequel was dire though.

Quote: peter gazzard @ March 2 2010, 8:32 AM GMT

Who would play Ken and Wanda then?

Julian Clary and Paris Hilton.

Quote: Kenneth @ March 4 2010, 4:53 AM GMT

Always with the norks, huh Bussell? In which case, I hope you've watched Trading Places and The Tailor of Panama.

The Taylor of Panama? I may just have to bump that up my rental list now.

It is an awful film. Complete hack job. Palin is DIRE.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ March 2 2010, 7:28 PM GMT

If I didn't know better I'd think sometimes that an 11 year old girl writes your posts.