Humour is a sign of intelligence. Discuss.

Hi, great to find a UK forum devoted to comedy and look forward to enjoying more of this site. Today I particularly liked the post that reminded me of Basil Fawlty's "Brahms' Third Racket" quip.

Wave Welcome.

Yes humour is a sign of intelligence there's no doubt about that. The ability to make people laugh not at you, but with you is a one of the best definitions of what being intelligent is. Using your natural wit to turn a awkward situation into a comic situation can't be done by someone who is not intelligent.

I don't understand the question.

Welcome to the BCG.
:)

Hello.

Wave

Hello and welcome - but what on earth has humour and intelligence got to do with the decathlon?

Hello.

Welcome in; mind the step ... Wave

Quote: James Cotter @ June 8 2010, 9:52 PM BST

Yes humour is a sign of intelligence there's no doubt about that. The ability to make people laugh not at you, but with you is a one of the best definitions of what being intelligent is. Using your natural wit to turn a awkward situation into a comic situation can't be done by someone who is not intelligent.

Indeed. Creators of humour have that cerebral wiring that converts understanding into words of wit. 'Mock The Week's Things You'll Never Hear (etc) slot has some inspired contributions, for example.

Quote: Dreck @ June 9 2010, 4:25 PM BST

Indeed. Creators of humour have that cerebral wiring that converts understanding into words of wit. 'Mock The Week's Things You'll Never Hear (etc) slot has some inspired contributions, for example.

I quite agree and can I say how nice it is to have a intelligent conversation with someone although both of us are currently not being funny.

Wave Howdy

Well, Dreck didn't last long ... :|

Quote: don rushmore @ June 11 2010, 11:06 PM BST

It's a sign of intelligence.
Whistling nnocently

Quote: don rushmore @ June 11 2010, 11:06 PM BST

But it is our duty to carry on his his honour- He will not be forgotten! Everyone raise your glasses- a toast!
To Dave!

Quote: James Cotter @ June 8 2010, 9:52 PM BST

Hmmmmm I had best think of an alternative career path then.

Quote: James Cotter @ June 9 2010, 5:27 PM BST

I quite agree and can I say how nice it is to have a intelligent conversation with someone although both of us are currently not being funny.

Laughing out loud