How to come up with good titles for your work Page 5

Quote: Hardcorr @ October 27, 2007, 2:48 AM

God, there's some touchy characters on here! Pirate

No there aren't, NONE of us are touchy. How DARE you suggest that there are touchy people on here? LIBEL, LIBEL, LIBEL....

How about you call the sitcom......Trudging Towards The Apocalypse. Well done for managing to write an entire series, I can never finish off pilots without getting heartily sick of the idea.

Quote: Martin Holmes @ October 27, 2007, 11:11 AM

You haven't actually written 7 full episodes of the same sitcom have you? Because that's not such a wise idea because if it doesn't get picked up you have 7 wasted scripts.

What I usually do is write the pilot episode, get that perfect and then plan out the rest of the series, but I don't write the other episodes. I send the pilot episode off and then I start working on a brand new sitcom.

I've mentioned my reasoning in previous threads, but here it is again.

The reason I'm writing the series in full is because:

1 - It feels good to have a sense of achievement of having a complete set of scripts, even if it is for your own enjoyment.

2 - It's good writing practice. You can only get better, the more you write.

3 - As the scripts develop, you get a better sense of the series as a whole and character development may require a change in direction in the plot, which may lead to a need to rewrite the pilot.

4 - Better to be a sit-com writer, than just a pilot writer.

5 - You have a broader choice of episodes to send.

6 - I won't feel like a failure if this doesn't get picked up. The last 4 years of my life have gone into it's conception. I'm putting everything I have into it and I'm loving it. Whether it gets picked up or not, I'll have this great experience forever.

I'm sure there are many reasons for and against on the two schools of thought, but for better or worse I'm an all or nothing kind of guy. And this way suits me. The only waste for me would be giving up after the pilot episode.

Hope that straightens things out. Of course, work whatever way feels best for you.

Yeah that's cool if you're enjoying it.

For me I prefer to have a series planned out in fine detail, know where my series is going what needs to happen in each episode and where the series ends but I don't want to write every single episode because then I'll get bogged down in that one series and I may come to love it so much that if it doesn't get picked up I'd feel gutted.

So for me working on one and then moving on just seems the best way to go because you get to try different things, different styles and ideas, so if one script is rejected you always have plenty of others to send.

Nice one. Each to his own eh amigo!

Out of interest, how many have you written? Have you sent any off? Got any feedback? Have you ever completed a series before?

It's an interesting way of working. How long do you spend on any one project?

Sorry for all the questions!

Personally I've been working on this for a month. Some episodes take a week to write, some only a couple of days. They're still in first draft stage, but apparently the art's in the rewrites. I expect to do about 9 at the most.

Quote: Hardcorr @ October 27, 2007, 2:48 AM

Are you on your period or something?

Sorry for claiming to be a decent writer. I was exaggerating. I'm only half-decent, and at my tender age of 28 I should have known. Sorry. *sarcasm*

What's wrong with being proud of your ability any way? It's a craft I've put a lot of effort into. And I only claimed to be decent. I suppose it's a pretty ambiguous term. I think apt would have been better.

God, there's some touchy characters on here! Pirate

And you seem to be one of them...

I am not sure what your problem is, geezer.. honest! :)

It's just banter mate, don't get your knickers in a twist!!! ;)

I'm getting my period :$

Alls well that ends well!!!

:)

I have a title idea, but I'm going to stick with the working title "Project: Barred" until it's done and dusted. I'll stick some synopses of the episodes when I'm done and let you all rip them apart (if you want to) I'd appreciate it.

I'll start writing them next week. Does anyone else work back to front like me? I dunno. Must be someone! Wave

I am sure they must. I have not tried to work like that. I like to get the characters going with some plot ideas and dialogue and let them loose for awile first just to see what happens. I have 30 mins of a sitcom/dramedy, but no overall plot yet. I have a basic premise but that's all.

It's horses for courses, of course.

The process I've used in this project:

Develop main characters, a general idea of the supporting characters.

Write the pilot as good as you can, put it to sleep.

Second episode, build on conclusion of pilot, take the plot in a different direction, keep audience guessing.

Third episode, build on previous episodes, using hybrid plot, inverse conclusion to pilot.

Polish all three episodes so plots have no continuity issues, decide what direction to take the rest of the series.

Fourth episode (Series turning point) now character and plot is firmly established, use to direct the character arcs to an appropriate conclusion by crafting character-specific sub-plots for all main characters. Cliff-hanger ending after episode conclusion.

Fifth episode, characters fighting back against the obstacles decided before writing episode 4. Conclude and end with bigger cliff-hanger.

Sixth episode, (the one I'm on now) with all characters, main plot, and sub-plots in full swing, push toward the final episode by concluding supporting character sub-plots, leaving main character arcs to be concluded in final episode. End with a "to be continued". A bit of a cliche, but it fits the theme.

Finale, main characters put to the test in their new states, but not really focusing on it right now. I have a general idea of where I want to end up. It may change.

During the writing process of each episode, I have one or two word docs open for making notes on step outline, so I know what I've written, and map out in my mind where I'm going to take it.

It's a weird way of working, but it works for me.

Right - seconds out!

I am only a prize fighter - so what is the prize on offer? mmm?

Quote: Hardcorr @ October 27, 2007, 11:33 PM

Finale, main characters put to the test in their new states

An excellent plan btw re: your seven episodes and it's an interesting debate you open about the character's 'new' states.

In most sitcoms, the characters never really escape the rut they're in (Homer always reverts to hating Ned despite becoming best buddies in some shows, Rimmer always irritates Lister despite the moments of seeming friendship that disappear by the next episode's opening).

Changing character or characters that learn is a more dramatic form, characters frozen in time and never learning by past mistakes is a more common sitcom form. Personally I like the first.

Quote: SlagA @ October 28, 2007, 2:09 PM

An excellent plan btw re: your seven episodes and it's an interesting debate you open about the character's 'new' states.

In most sitcoms, the characters never really escape the rut they're in (Homer always reverts to hating Ned despite become best buddies in some shows, Rimmer always irritates Lister despite the moments of seeming friendship that disappear by the next episodes opening).

Changing character or characters that learn is a more dramatic form, characters frozen in time and never learning by past mistakes is a more common sitcom form. Personally I like the first.

I am, foremost, a feature film script writer. I see my sitcom as segments of a (long) movie that would be watchable in one sitting (if you were lazy enough)!

I liked the idea of having characters change during the course of the series. Doesn't mean they'll stop being naive/psychotic/whatever, as they'll always be who they are.

Quote: Hardcorr @ October 28, 2007, 5:37 PM

I am, foremost, a feature film script writer. I see my sitcom as segments of a (long) movie

Yep, but I was close to guessing that by the description of your series arc, as it showed awareness of the more dramatic form and had far more depth and continuation than, for example, The Simpsons.

Wasn't disagreeing with your approach by the way, just observing. One of our sitcoms is also very series driven rather than episode driven and I agree you were right to wonder if it was strictly sitcom or comedy-drama because the strong arcs would indicate it wasn't a traditional sitcom. Perhaps you can coin a new genre?
:)