Stewart Lee's Comedy Vehicle - Series 1 Page 48

Quote: Tony Cowards @ April 11 2010, 11:13 AM BST

Apparently the last series is going to be repeated, slightly slower and more deliberately than first time around, and then repeated again, even slower and with an even more pronounced delivery...

They could do something to make it in some way funny.

Quote: Aaron @ April 11 2010, 12:18 PM BST

They could do something to make it in some way funny.

It already was.

Oh no it wasn't!

We know you like pantomimes Aaron, but some comedy just isn't like that...

This has been nominated for a BAFTA for best comedy programme.

And quite right too!

I've never 'got' Lee. What's the appeal?

Quote: Nogget @ May 21 2010, 9:17 AM BST

I've never 'got' Lee. What's the appeal?

No explanation is going to make you 'get' him. To me, he's one of the funniest, smartest stand ups around.

I have to be honest, I don't get him either.

People rave about him but I just see a slightly embarrassing 40+ year old man ranting like a teenage student activist whilst labouring "jokes" and being, what seems, almost deliberately unfunny.

Still, different strokes for different folks, can't say I ever really got the big deal about Bill Hicks either.

Quote: Tony Cowards @ May 21 2010, 9:23 AM BST

Still, different strokes for different folks, can't say I ever really got the big deal about Bill Hicks either.

You don't like Lee OR Hicks?!

They're two stand ups that not only make you laugh, but also challenge you and make you think. Now I know that some people don't really like that from their stand ups, they just want the 'make me laugh' bit, which is understandable, I like plenty of those stand ups too; I adore Steve Martin for instance.

As you say, not everyone can like everyone, anyway.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ May 21 2010, 9:32 AM BST

You don't like Lee OR Hicks?!

They're two stand ups that not only make you laugh, but also challenge you and make you think. Now I know that some people don't really like that from their stand ups, they just want the 'make me laugh' bit, which is understandable, I like plenty of those stand ups too; I adore Steve Martin for instance.

As you say, not everyone can like everyone, anyway.

Pretty much, neither really makes me laugh or think, both, in my opinion, were/are preaching to the converted and basically showing off their, supposed, cultural/intellectual superiority in front of their like minded audiences.

I've nothing against so-called intelligent comedy, love Mark Thomas, Andy Zaltzman, Rob Newman but I like to laugh, generally at silly things, hence my true comedy heroes are people such as Tommy Cooper, Eric Morecambe, Tim Vine, Milton Jones etc.

People slate populist comics, look at the slagging Michael McIntyre gets, and yet I would say it's harder to entertain the majority rather than find your own little niche audience and then continually feed them what they want, a type of comedy which in its own way is just as "safe" as anything considered "mainstream".

Quote: Tony Cowards @ May 21 2010, 9:53 AM BST

Pretty much, neither really makes me laugh or think, both, in my opinion, were/are preaching to the converted and basically showing off their, supposed, cultural/intellectual superiority in front of their like minded audiences.

I've nothing against so-called intelligent comedy, love Mark Thomas, Andy Zaltzman, Rob Newman but I like to laugh, generally at silly things, hence my true comedy heroes are people such as Tommy Cooper, Eric Morecambe, Tim Vine, Milton Jones etc.

People slate populist comics, look at the slagging Michael McIntyre gets, and yet I would say it's harder to entertain the majority rather than find your own little niche audience and then continually feed them what they want, a type of comedy which in its own way is just as "safe" as anything considered "mainstream".

I wasn't saying you should like him, just saying why I do. And of course in many cases they're going to 'preach to the converted'; people pay to see acts they like after all, stands to reason, don't it?! I'm not going to watch someone I don't like!

"I would say it's harder to entertain the majority rather than find your own little niche audience "

Well that depends, doesn't it; it's a very sweeping statement. I enjoy a really good 'mainstream' comedian as much as the next person, I just go by what's funny, not whether it's cool to like them or not.

Sorry if my comments seemed to be having a go or just being deliberately contrary wasn't my intention, just that I'm a bit evangelical about jokes and comedians being funny first and foremost, and thought-provoking second.

I know it's comedy heresy to say this but I actually find Richard Herring much funnier than Stewart Lee, and I'm not a massive fan of his either!

Quote: Matthew Stott @ May 21 2010, 9:19 AM BST

No explanation is going to make you 'get' him.

It could help me get into him though, if I know where the funny is located. The best comedy, or any art, can take some getting used to. So if there's a comedian who's highly respected by people who have a similar taste to me, then I fell I'm missing out.

Quote: Tony Cowards @ May 21 2010, 9:23 AM BST

I have to be honest, I don't get him either.

People rave about him but I just see a slightly embarrassing 40+ year old man ranting like a teenage student activist whilst labouring "jokes" and being, what seems, almost deliberately unfunny.

This.

Quote: Aaron @ May 21 2010, 1:47 PM BST

This.

This.