Anything with Sandi Toksvig

I can't stand the Radio 4 panel shows with the right on 'left' middle class PC style of Mz Toksvig. All very smug and self righteous, all she is however is some childern's Saturday TV presenter who has got a 2-1 degree from somewhere very nice.

Turned off her when lots of fun made of the cabin crew member who was sacked for showing signs of her Christian faith, come on Mz Toksvig, how cutting edge are you, notice no jokes about the Muslim faith or is that just too cutting edge and topical? My point is she, like many on such shows, goes for the easy target, much like the comedians of the past who she obviously hates; then it was the Irish etc.

Written by people for people who want to or are living near a farmers' market and within a good catchment area for good schools in the 4x4.

I can't add anything to that. Colin?

Damn those middles classes with their witty repartee and secular values. Bastards!

Quote: MGF Driver @ April 10 2010, 2:18 PM BST

Wriiten by people for people who want to or are living near a farmers market and within a good catchment area for good schools in the 4x4

That's Radio 4's main demographic as well, so they may as well write for it.

Well she is Danish after all.

I should like her to be my lesbian aunt.

Quote: MGF Driver @ April 10 2010, 2:18 PM BST

Turned off her when lots of fun made of the cabin crew member who was sacked for showing signs of her Christain faith, come on Mz Toksvig, how cutting edge are you, notice no jokes about the Muslim faith or is that just to cutting edge and topical? My point is she laike many on such shows goes for the easy target, much like the comedians of the past who she obviously hates then it was the Irish etc.

I don't really care if you like Sandi Toksvig or not but to make insinuations that the News Quiz or Radio 4 in general, don't make jokes about "the Muslim faith" is utter tosh.

Fundamentalism, suicide bombings, the Danish cartoons, Abu Hamza, etc are all subjects which have been joked about on various Radio 4 programmes.

There seems to be this thinking at the moment that Christianity is the only religion that has fun poked at it, which is totally untrue. Go to any comedy club in the country and you will hear jokes about virtually every religion under the sun, okay the majority will be about Christianity but that's purely a numbers game, most comics are white and of Christian descent, thus it's what they know most about (following the tenant "joke about what you know". Plus the Catholic church keeps obligingly providing plenty of opportunities for cheap laughs thanks to Pope Razinger and his ineptitude).

Let's see what people like Stephen Green, at Christian Voice, have to say about the upcoming comedy films "The Infidel" and "Four Lions" and then try to claim that it's only Christians that comedians feel capable of mocking.

Quote: zooo @ April 11 2010, 1:07 AM BST

I should like her to be my lesbian aunt.

*has fantasies about zooo and a lesbian aunt*

Filthy scamp.

Is there a link for this story? I can't find it.

That said it does sound like the usual dreary antiPC made up of bollox.

Sandi Toksvig is hilarious and erudite and something of a national treasure.

Quote: sootyj @ April 11 2010, 7:16 PM BST

Is there a link for this story? I can't find it.

That said it does sound like the usual dreary antiPC made up of bollox.

There isn't a story in the Jimmy Carr or Frankie Boyle sense, sootyj. It's a BCG forum poster not liking Sandi Toksvig.

I meant the story about cabin crews being sacked?

Think it is this old story:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/8512215.stm

Sorry sootyj. I think Timbo has it. There was also this story recently. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/religion/7560059/Christian-nurse-who-refused-to-remove-crucifix-loses-tribunal.html

I always tend to think there is more to the story than than the cross, though.

Quote: sootyj @ April 11 2010, 7:16 PM BST

A treasure for which nation? She's Danish, and has named her home Denmark House. The Danes can have her, imo, she's a dry, detached liberal who thinks she's funnier and cleverer than she is.