Camera Directions in Screenplays Page 2

Quote: David Bussell @ March 30 2010, 3:44 PM BST

Yeah, but I don't see any of your shows on the telly, Stott.

Piss pants you are.

I'm still right though. I think. And so does my good buddy Russell T Davies in that book he wrote about writing Dr Who when asked the very same question! So Neeerrrr!!!!

Quote: Matthew Stott @ March 30 2010, 3:46 PM BST

Piss pants you are.

I'm still right though. I think. And so does my good buddy Russell T Davies in that book he wrote about writing Dr Who when asked the very same question! So Neeerrrr!!!!

Ugh, you can't solve everything with Doctor Who, Matt!

Quote: David Bussell @ March 30 2010, 3:48 PM BST

Ugh, you can't solve everything with Doctor Who, Matt!

*Bottom lip trembles* You take that back-!

Quote: Matthew Stott @ March 30 2010, 3:46 PM BST

Nobody listens to that old hack Davies thesedays, Matthew! It's all Moffat-this-and-Moffat-that, all Tim Dawson and Daniel Peak BBC masterclasses. Get with the programme! You can't handle the truth! Forget it Stott, it's Chinatown... Unimpressed

Don't put them in, it's death to a writer I've been told.

But you can hint at camera directions with your pacing and writing style. Eg - 'raises an eyebrow' 'looks from the corner of the room' etc etc. To make a 'cut' simply break up a line of action when there is one. For fast cuts, a new line per action. For longer, include one or two (but never more than a few for when starting a new line of action.

I'd still put 'close up on receipt' if it's crucial to the joke, some editors are thickos

Quote: James Turner @ March 31 2010, 9:09 PM BST

Don't put them in, it's death to a writer I've been told.

If you had one camera direction in a script, you're hardly going to be banished from TV. If you can get around not actually using one, then do so, you'll find in most cases you can.

I suppose it's a matter of avoiding it unless you really, really can't think of any other way to get your point across. Knew I was doing something wrong when my script was littered with "CUT TO"

Which is another thing! My instruction back at uni was to start each scene on a new page and end each scene with the transition (CUT/FADE etc.) but I wanted to double check. Do scenes always start on a new page even if it's just a simple stage direction that will only take up a couple of lines?...sometimes it feels odd having an entire page for three sentences.

For TV sitcom format, I do start a fresh page for each scene, but not for stage directions within a scene.

For screenplay format, I never start a fresh page for a new scene.

Never had any complaints.

Cheers.

You're welcome. :)

(Cue other writers to tell me I'm completely wrong, deranged, deluded, misguided, a prick etc... but no prod company or my agent has criticised my formatting decisions so far.)

Quote: Tim Walker @ April 1 2010, 12:04 AM BST

For TV sitcom format, I do start a fresh page for each scene, but not for stage directions within a scene.

For screenplay format, I never start a fresh page for a new scene.

Never had any complaints.

That's correct.

Two blank lines between scenes in 1-camera (film format) scripts.

New page per scene in 3-camera (studio/sitcom format) scripts.

We covered this item not long ago.

Cheers Bill, knew I could count on you. ;)

Quote: Tim Walker @ April 1 2010, 12:38 AM BST

Cheers Bill, knew I could count on you. ;)

A wasted life devoted to Script Formats... That's me.

:D

And electronics and computers and scuba diving and my Lotus car and .....

Sex???

Quote: billwill @ April 1 2010, 12:49 AM BST

Sex???

As I say, I'm grateful for your validation, Bill, but I'm going to have to turn you down I'm afraid.