What's the most stupid song lyric? Page 2

And "Deborah, you look a zebra" by Mr Bolan had deep meaning obviously, rather than just an attempt to find a word to ryhme with 'Deborah'.

Not stupid, but for me the most cringeworthy rhyme was Depeche Mode's career/Korea.

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ March 2 2010, 1:59 PM GMT

And "Deborah, you look a zebra" by Mr Bolan had deep meaning obviously, rather than just an attempt to find a word to ryhme with 'Deborah'.

Sorry Dolly, that's in the DuranDuran/Reflex camp. There are loads of those. I mean stuff that's meant to be sensible but isn't because the band played truant from double English once too often.

Unless she'd just had white hilights put in her black glossy hair, prompting a typically camp, theatricalised 'Oh my god, Deborah, what have you done, girl?' response from the elfin faced troubador, then deciding to write a song about it.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ March 2 2010, 1:56 PM GMT

Yeah well I think the fact that it's on Iggy's radio station in GTA 4 might have something to do with it...

I didn't know you were doing a turn - I thought you just introduced the acts and collected glasses or something. Got anything online? (preferably without a guitar)

Just proves that I only need to hear something five hundred or so times before I generate a joke out of it.

I take turns MCing and doing 10 spots at Clown Chowder. There's a bit of me titting about at 6:15 here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McLZ5LDSG9U

Quote: zooo @ March 2 2010, 1:58 PM GMT

They never said they were walking in a straight line.

They went round in circles like a brain damaged pigeon.

That's a fine solution.

Of course some bands just don't care that the words don't make sense. Take Yes, for instance:

"A seasoned witch could call you from the depths of your disgrace,
And rearrange your liver to the solid mental grace"

In the theme song from Fame It always confuses me that one minute it's
'I wanna live forever' then 'I'm gonna make it to heaven'

I think maybe they are in fact angelic beings with a love of dance

I'd say it's more down to the natural self aplomb and unrestrained ambition of young desperately wannabe stars who go a through a stage of wanting it all, regardless of whether it's feasible or not.

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ March 2 2010, 1:59 PM GMT

When I saw the title of this thread the first thing I thought of - was everything written by Marc Bolan.

Then of course any (c)rap lyric.

Quote: Chappers @ March 2 2010, 7:59 PM GMT

When I saw the title of this thread the first thing I thought of - was everything written by Marc Bolan.

:) but bless him - still gotta love 'im. He thought he was writing Tolkeinesque poetry and wrote stuff like "have you ever seen a woman coming out of New York City, with a frog in her hand."

Oasis - Champagne Supernova

"Slowly walking down the hall
Faster than a cannonball
Where were you when we were getting high?
----------------

Men At Work - Down Under

Buying bread from a man in Brussels
He was six foot four and full of muscles
I said, "Do you speak-a my language?"
He just smiled and gave me a vegemite sandwich

Quote: Mr Snodworthy @ March 2 2010, 8:28 PM GMT

Oasis - Champagne Supernova

"Slowly walking down the hall
Faster than a cannonball

That's supposed to represent feeling off your head. Apparently.

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ March 2 2010, 8:19 PM GMT

:) but bless him - still gotta love 'im. He thought he was writing Tolkeinesque poetry and wrote stuff like "have you ever seen a woman coming out of New York City, with a frog in her hand."

Oh there's better than that, even Ride a White Swan is totally nuts, but what was that really florid pre-T rex phase he went thru when everything was 'majestic' and 'princely', he was off his head when he wrote those lines, they're fab - The King of the Unicorns and songs like that. He definitely loved his bedtime stories when he was a nipper.

Quote: Nogget @ March 2 2010, 2:10 PM GMT

Of course some bands just don't care that the words don't make sense. Take Yes, for instance:

"A seasoned witch could call you from the depths of your disgrace,
And rearrange your liver to the solid mental grace"

I love Yes - but I agree Jon Anderson did write some pretentious crap.

Quote: Chappers @ March 2 2010, 8:47 PM GMT

I love Yes - but I agree Jon Anderson did write some pretentious crap.

I'm not for a moment calling it pretentious. He simply liberated the sounds and rhythms of the words from their literal meanings, in much the same manner as a doo-wap singer.

Although I admit that my attempt at explanation does itself sound awfully pretentious.