Why doesn't England have a hockey team? Page 2

Quote: deckard @ February 19 2010, 8:01 PM GMT

Why the hell did they jump out of the car?!?

Just 2 more victims of Obama's disastrous bailout.

Quote: Aaron @ February 19 2010, 7:12 PM GMT

Myth. Recent genetic surveys revealed that the various invasions from the likes of the Vikings had next to no effect on the populus or makeup of the country; most are still descended from people who were here long before they invaded.

I guess I was referring to the Anlges, Saxons and Jutes with my 'Nordic' comment. I am not savvy enough on my early Medieval ethnography to know what the difference is between the Anglo-Saxons and the 'Vikings'. I was always under the impression that they were pretty similar ethnically, but I could be wrong.

Quote: DaButt @ February 19 2010, 8:04 PM GMT

Just 2 more victims of Obama's disastrous bailout.

Or maybe they were from Florida ;)

Quote: deckard @ February 19 2010, 8:07 PM GMT

Or maybe they were from Florida ;)

I spent most of my life in Florida, but when I drive to Oklahoma City this weekend I'm quite confident that I won't jump out of the car if I hit a patch of ice.

Yes there are pro ice hockey players in Britain, The Guildford Flames have several pros, I'm not sure if they all play exclusively in UK or still play off season in their own countries as well, but they they are pro. Yes I think their pros are mostly foreigners, Fins and Slavs, that kind of thing. There's a relatively popular national league here now.

As for the Vikings reference, you happen to be right, the Vikings DID interbreed with us and by the mid 11nth C had long settled in many parts of Britain particularly the north, inc. Scotland, and this is why so many Nothern towns have nordic names. I don't know where people get this idea that they didn't affect our bloodline, they affected it enormously. Many of us have Viking blood.

Quote: deckard @ February 19 2010, 6:48 PM GMT

I live in Minnesota (the 'State of Hockey' as we like to call it), and I find it interesting that England is actually further north than Minnesota and yet there doesn't seem to be any hockey being played (from what I can see from 5000 miles away, if there is I apologize).

Do the lakes freeze over in the winter in England? Scotland must have some kind of winter sports, and yet the only Hockey I could find being played in the UK is field hockey. There must be some attraction to gliding around on ice with all the Nordic blood running through your veins.

Minnesota is a beautiful state ... has the Mall of America become an autonomous principality yet? It's a matter of time methinks!

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ February 19 2010, 8:55 PM GMT

I don't know where people get this idea that they didn't affect our bloodline, they affected it enormously. Many of us have Viking blood.

I imagine Aaron got the idea from the same place as me; a TV show that did random DNA testing around the UK on people who could trace their ancestors many generations back to the same area, and which would trace one's origins from thousands of years ago. IIRC the presenter was the Scottish man with long black hair from Coast.

I've been told by Danish friends that I must get my colouring from their ancestors over here on a raping holiday and many of my ancestors came from a part of Scotland just across the way from Norway. I'd be interested to see whether this is part of my hertigage or not.

I soooooooooooo want that DNA thing done.

Quote: zooo @ February 19 2010, 9:36 PM GMT

Jeremy Kyle is your friend !

Ha. Not that one!

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ February 19 2010, 8:55 PM GMT

Many of us have Viking blood.

Quote: The Rook @ February 19 2010, 9:10 PM GMT

Minnesota is a beautiful state

Agreed. I'd love to live there if it weren't so damn cold.

Quote: zooo @ February 19 2010, 9:36 PM GMT

Women don't have Y-DNA, so they typically have a male relative (brother or father) take the test. Y-DNA mutates very slowly and, because most of us have our fathers' surnames, it is very useful in genealogy. It's a direct father to son to son to son link.

My friend was interested in the DNA testing I've done, so for Christmas I bought him a test kit. He's of Mexican descent and was expecting to trace his roots back to Spain, so he was very shocked when he learned that his closest matches were all Jews. It seems that many Jews fled Spain during the Inquisition and settled in Mexico.

Neil Oliver?, I didn't see that prog but I saw one with an archeologist and anthroplogist, Aubrey something, he had a geneticist on explaining the results of DNA testing, proving that we had both Germanic and Nordic heritage, the Nordic DNA being particularly strong in the north and especially Scotland and the Isles. The archelogist presenter could believe the Viking bloodline, mainly because of the vast Viking archeology here but curiously, said he was surprised to hear that the English are so genetically linked to the Angles and Saxons!! The bloke was a crank, unless I'd been drinking that night and got it all terribly wrong.

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ February 19 2010, 9:34 PM GMT

I've been told by Danish friends that I must get my colouring from their ancestors over here on a raping holiday

Tell your Danish friends they didn't just come over and rape, they co-ran the mighty Kingdom of Northunmbria for well over a hundred years, helped establish major towns like York and Derby, settled in the midlands, East Anglia and Kent and even put a King on the throne of unified England before the Normans came. I understand they even invented their famous pastry while living here, having been seduced by the English custom of tea, and wanted to show the natives they could be civilised too. So it wasn't all rape and pillage.

Because it's not gay?

Quote: DaButt @ February 19 2010, 8:20 PM GMT

I spent most of my life in Florida, but when I drive to Oklahoma City this weekend I'm quite confident that I won't jump out of the car if I hit a patch of ice.

Haha!

Quote: The Rook @ February 19 2010, 9:10 PM GMT

Minnesota is a beautiful state ... has the Mall of America become an autonomous principality yet? It's a matter of time methinks!

Minnesota is a beautiful state. I didn't grow up here but when I moved here I thought it was odd that everyone didn't talk like in the movie 'Fargo' (which my wife, a native Minnesotan, hates because of its stereotypes). I guess I have become that stereotype, starting a thread about hockey on a message board.

I try to stay away from the Mall of America, it is for the tourists--kind of like Bede's World in Jarrow.

Quote: DaButt @ February 19 2010, 10:16 PM GMT

Agreed. I'd love to live there if it weren't so damn cold.

The cold is character building. There is really nothing that reminds you that you are alive like walking out the door into some -30F degrees weather. It reminds you just how much Mother Nature actually hates you.

=============================================================

I love that this thread turned into a hockey/Minnesota/Anglo-Saxon discussion. Those are three of my favourite things!

I never understood the appeal of hockey. I always wonder why you'd want to break your nose and lose teeth that often?....