Why doesn't England have a hockey team?

I live in Minnesota (the 'State of Hockey' as we like to call it), and I find it interesting that England is actually further north than Minnesota and yet there doesn't seem to be any hockey being played (from what I can see from 5000 miles away, if there is I apologize).

Do the lakes freeze over in the winter in England? Scotland must have some kind of winter sports, and yet the only Hockey I could find being played in the UK is field hockey. There must be some attraction to gliding around on ice with all the Nordic blood running through your veins.

We've got curling. Does that count?

Quote: chipolata @ February 19 2010, 6:54 PM GMT

We've got curling. Does that count?

Ah, yes. the US national team is based in northern Minnesota.

Upon further research (I should really do my before starting a thread) Great Britain does have a national ice hockey team:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Britain_men%27s_national_ice_hockey_team

Won the 36 gold medal.

We do play hockey. I believe our national mens and ladies teams do very well internationally. But I think you're referring to ice hockey, which isn't as widely played, nor anywhere as popular as it is in North America. I have a family member who is very good and has been playing since she was very young. From what I understand there are no professional ice hockey players in the UK - but I might wrong.

Quote: deckard @ February 19 2010, 6:48 PM GMT

I live in Minnesota (the 'State of Hockey' as we like to call it), and I find it interesting that England is actually further north than Minnesota and yet there doesn't seem to be any hockey being played (from what I can see from 5000 miles away, if there is I apologize).

Do the lakes freeze over in the winter in England? Scotland must have some kind of winter sports, and yet the only Hockey I could find being played in the UK is field hockey.

We may be more northerly, but the Gulf Stream ensures that we have a very warm - albeit also very wet - climate. Some bodies of water do freeze over, but you'd have to go pretty damn far north in pretty harsh weather to find anything safe enough for one person to skate on, let alone two whole teams.

We do have indoor ice rinks of course, and there is at least one league operating, but it's a pretty niche, minority sport. (In fact, it's the only sport which I have ever attended an event of. Unless you count Robot Wars.)

There must be some attraction to gliding around on ice with all the Nordic blood running through your veins.

Myth. Recent genetic surveys revealed that the various invasions from the likes of the Vikings had next to no effect on the populus or makeup of the country; most are still descended from people who were here long before they invaded.

Do the lakes freeze over in the winter in England? Scotland must have some kind of winter sports, and yet the only Hockey I could find being played in the UK is field hockey. There must be some attraction to gliding around on ice with all the Nordic blood running through your veins.

We generally don't get winters cold enough for lakes to freeze over to a safe standard. We also don't have many ice rinks in the UK. I loved skating - both on land and ice and woulod have loved to have taken up figure or speed skating as a youngster, but the nearest rink was about 30 miles away. :(

It's just one of them things that hasn't caught on much over here.

We only got Oreos a few years ago.

And Root Beer isn't popular here either.

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ February 19 2010, 7:09 PM GMT

From what I understand there are no professional ice hockey players in the UK - but I might wrong.

Yes, I've certainly heard this stated in the past.

Quote: Aaron @ February 19 2010, 7:12 PM GMT

Myth. Recent genetic surveys revealed that the Viking invasions had next to no effect on the populus or makeup of the country; most are descended from people who were here long before they invaded.

Yep apparently, most indiginoius white Brits are of celtic hertigage. So basically the English are Scottish, Irish and Welsh. Unimpressed

I knew a girl who played ice hockey when I was at school, so there are obviously local teams, but it is not remotely a widespread or popular sport over here.

Plus ice hockey's quite violent. We're far too civilised in this country for that malarky. Whistling nnocently

Quote: Aaron @ February 19 2010, 7:12 PM GMT

Myth. Recent genetic surveys revealed that the various invasions from the likes of the Vikings had next to no effect on the populus or makeup of the country; most are still descended from people who were here long before they invaded.

My family came to America from England almost 400 years ago and were established there for centuries. DNA tests show that my male ancestors originated in Sweden/Norway/Denmark.

Ice hockey is too normal for England, people over here like car skating instead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MPRmOUxRMY

;)

We're getting an ice rink here in Widnes in 2011/12 but I think I'll pass on using it.....

Quote: David Carmon @ February 19 2010, 7:13 PM GMT

It's just one of them things that hasn't caught on much over here.

We only got Oreos a few years ago.

And Root Beer isn't popular here either.

I don't know if this was intended to be funny, but it is.

Quote: The Giggle-o @ February 19 2010, 7:21 PM GMT

Ice hockey is too normal for England, people over here like car skating instead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MPRmOUxRMY

;)

Why the hell did they jump out of the car?!?