The Larry Sanders Show

Recently I was challenged to compile a Top 20 list of the best ever TV shows and The Larry Sanders Show was the highest ranked sitcom. Having re-watched a few episodes over the last couple of days, I maintain this to be true.

The scripts were crammed full of crackling cynisism and three of the greatest ever lead characters, played to perfection by Garry Shandling, Rip Torn and, especially, Jeffrey Tambor ("Hey Now" Hank Kingsley is the best of the three).

Any other fans of this classy programme?

Yup, count me in.

Only got around to seeing it a few years ago when they ran it in the early hours on ITV4. Still haven't seen the full run.

Quote: john lucas 101 @ February 17 2010, 9:32 AM GMT

Yup, count me in.

Only got around to seeing it a few years ago when they ran it in the early hours on ITV4. Still haven't seen the full run.

Yes, it was ridiculously scheduled. All the more frustrating since Larry's a funny bugger and won't seem to let anybody do a proper full release of the show on DVD.

Hank Kingsley was a truly great character.

Quote: chipolata @ February 17 2010, 9:50 AM GMT

Larry's a funny bugger

He does seem like quite an arse from what I've seen of him.

This show is a hole in my comedy knowledge, I know it's supposed to be great, but I've never seen it. I do remember enjoying his previous show when I was a youngster though. Where he sang the theme tune pointing at the words on a board. I think.

'It's Gary Shandling's Show'; that was it.

Larry's a funny bugger

>_<

I meant Gary. Although his mauling of Ricky Gervais was rather splendid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LljWm8umGIE

Quote: chipolata @ February 17 2010, 10:02 AM GMT

>_<

I meant Gary. Although his mauling of Ricky Gervais was rather splendid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LljWm8umGIE

That was one of the things I saw where he seemed rather oddly aggressive and arsey, he didn't have to agree to a sodding interview. But I'm sure this has been discussed elsewhere on here.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ February 17 2010, 10:05 AM GMT

But I'm sure this has been discussed elsewhere on here.

More than likely it has. I still think it's funny the way the interview clearly doesn't go the way Gervais hoped, and you don't get the sort of mutual backslapping Gervais indulges in with most of his comedy heroes.

That Ricky Gervais Meets... interview certainily was a fascinating bit of television, both of them having made it to the big time with sitcoms featuring a great deal of comedy through cringing awkwardness, the interview itself becoming remenisicint of both of their shows.

Shandling, a vaguely enigmatic entertainer, doesn't often pop up on TV all that much, but he made an appearence with Sean Penn on Bill Maher's topical satire show a couple of years ago and was absolutely on fire - Sadly the You Tube clip appears to have vanished.

The account of the very nice You Tuber who uploaded virtually every single episode of Larry Sanders Show seems to have disappeared too. But the episodes are still out there if you know how to search for these things.

Quote: Dusty Substance @ February 17 2010, 10:25 AM GMT

That Ricky Gervais Meets... interview certainily was a fascinating bit of television, both of them having made it to the big time with sitcoms featuring a great deal of comedy through cringing awkwardness, the interview itself becoming remenisicint of both of their shows.

Shandling, a vaguely enigmatic entertainer, doesn't often pop up on TV all that much, but he made an appearence with Sean Penn on Bill Maher's topical satire show a couple of years ago and was absolutely on fire - Sadly the You Tube clip appears to have vanished.

I think Shandling also appeared on The Daily Show to plug a best of Larry Sanders DVD which collected together about twebty odd episodes of the show. That interview might be somewhere.

Yes, it was ridiculously scheduled. All the more frustrating since Larry's a funny bugger and won't seem to let anybody do a proper full release of the show on DVD.

Hank Kingsley was a truly great character.

I really don't think it's Gary Shandling holding up the release of the series. If anything I would say he's been more involved with his DVD releases than most actors... the extra's on The Best of and the First Season DVD's have a lot of new material/interviews.

The Larry Sanders Show is one of my favourite American sitcoms. The three main characters (Larry, Hank and Artie) are just sublime.

A few years ago, I managed to buy all 89 episodes (bootleg, obviously) on US eBay. (That was a fantastic Christmas.)

If you're interested, it's still available for 55 dollars or Best Offer (try 45). That is great value. By the way, I have no connection with the seller...and I'm definitely not liable if the transaction does not have a happy ending! Good luck.

Looks like it's coming out on DVD (officially): http://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2010/03/03/10614/flipping_brilliant

I've never really seen much of it, but always wanted to, so would get this.

Dan

Bout bleedin time.

Quote: swerytd @ March 3 2010, 9:46 AM GMT

Looks like it's coming out on DVD (officially): http://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2010/03/03/10614/flipping_brilliant

They really are first with all the comedy news that's fit to print.

Quote: john lucas 101 @ March 3 2010, 9:56 AM GMT

Bout bleedin time.

Ditto.

If I may quote a comment I read on the 'youtube'.

"I've got a Semi Davis Jnr. Complete with one eye."

Really looking forward to this. Seen the first season a fair few times and it's amazoid!