Beyond The Pole - Stephen Mangan & Rhys Thomas Page 6

I was going to ask why we almost universally condemned this film without having seen it but then I came to my senses and remembered this is the BCG.

Considering most of us haven't read the reasonable-to-actually-rather-good reviews from independent film sources such as Empire, or seen the film in its entirety (although some may have seen the trailer), we seem remarkably well-informed to come to these conclusions.

Yep, some people may have an issue with the original poster but that doesn't explain why we've been dissing the product from the very first response onward.

Quote: SlagA @ January 21 2010, 12:07 PM GMT

I was going to ask why we almost universally condemned this film without having seen it but then I came to my senses and remembered this is the BCG.

Considering most of us haven't read the reasonable-to-actually-rather-good reviews from independent film sources such as Empire, or seen the film in its entirety (although some may have seen the trailer), we seem remarkably well-informed to come to these conclusions.

Yep, some people may have an issue with the original poster but that doesn't explain why we've been dissing the product from the very first response onward.

For all I know the film might be spectacular; though I'd question why they chose to cut a trailer with no jokes in it. It's the way the film's being promoted that's caused me to boycott it. If good advertising encourages a person to covet a product, surely bad advertising must inspire the opposite reaction?

Quote: David Bussell @ January 21 2010, 1:29 PM GMT

For all I know the film might be spectacular; though I'd question why they chose to cut a trailer with no jokes in it. It's the way the film's being promoted that's caused me to boycott it. If good advertising encourages a person to covet a product, surely bad advertising must inspire the opposite reaction?

Agreed re: the film and the trailer. And I wasn't singling any one out. You should know that.
:)
It just seemed regs jumped on this thread from the outset, dissing the film, even before the original poster began to irk regulars with frequent bumps. And a few people here would trust sources such as Empire when it came to reviews but they discount it in this example.

Quote: David Bussell @ January 21 2010, 1:29 PM GMT

If good advertising encourages a person to covet a product, surely bad advertising must inspire the opposite reaction?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdcVRueT2cw&feature=PlayList&p=0AE2D09F03418153&index=8 - I was a six tubes a day man after this ad campaign. :O

You comedians make me laugh! Here's a comedy film. It's got gd reviews. It's got no money for advertising. I like it and thought I'd introduce it to you because apparently this is a website that likes new comedy. But do you know what you rabid lot? The time for jokes has passed. Anyone want a fight?

This is on a similar theme to that Ben Fogle/James Cracknell series, On Thin Ice, which was funny, but unintentionally so. I'll probably catch Beyond The Pole at the ICA, wherever the hell that is.

I explained my misgivings for Beyond The Pole from the moment I saw the trailer - it just doesn't look that funny.

Based on previous low budget British comedy films that have emerged in the last few years, you will have to excuse my sceptsism that this film will break the mould. I'm not going to shell out £8 at the cinema in the 'hopes' that this one will be worth it.

I trust a review from Empire about as far as I can spit a Land Rover and as for the online reviews, I only check out Rotten Tomatoes to get an indication of a film's critical worth.

Every time some new piece of shit Brit flick hits DVD, there's always some bullshit quote from Empire '4 out of 5 stars, a rollicking British romp, etc.'

Beyond The Pole isn't about Cockney Gangstas, so I should at least be grateful for that.

If this film is actually any good, I'm more then happy to eat some humble pie and apologise publicly on this Forum.

And show a bit of winkie?

Alright try this for size http://bit.ly/6H5E8J

The crew laughing at their own movie plus a thousand comments from birds who want to shag Alexander Scotchguard - woohoo.

I am convince-a-fied. Unimpressed

Quote: wowthats bonzer @ January 21 2010, 4:24 PM GMT

Alright try this for size http://bit.ly/6H5E8J

I thought Mangan came across well in this excerpt.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ January 21 2010, 4:12 PM GMT

I explained my misgivings for Beyond The Pole from the moment I saw the trailer.

Yep, at least you've seen the trailer. :)

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ January 21 2010, 4:12 PM GMT

If this film is actually any good, I'm more then happy to eat some humble pie and apologise publicly on this Forum.

I don't think anyone should eat humble pie or apologise, that's not the issue. It's the gang mentality, that occasionaly raises its head; where people pile in to kick something before they've given it a fair chance. It reminds me of countless playtimes I spent running away from the big lads.
:O

Okay, the OP hasn't helped his / her self.

"If this film is actually any good..." shows that you still aren't 100% sure it's going to be cobblers. You're more likely convinced it's rubbish but that element of doubt or leeway shows that our harsher comments here are unjustified because, in truth, we just don't know if the film is any good. Yet our negative comments have been far from uncertain.

Here's another one just in! Up yer bum! http://bit.ly/screengeek

Quote: wowthats bonzer @ January 21 2010, 8:37 PM GMT

Here's another one just in! Up yer bum!

You really aren't helping me on this, are you, Bonzer. :P :)

With all due respect SlagA, someone turning up and joining purely to constantly plug a single commercial product and not to participate in the spirit of the site, equates to me as spamming - which is against the rules, as should this type of thread behaviour be. The OP has regularly bumped this thread purely to keep it up the list, which I gathered was also unacceptable. Hence, excuse me (and others) if we haven't been very receptive to the product. I'm sure it's the funniest film ever, OK, but this sort of tactic only puts me off watching it.

Us regular posters may be a bunch of miserable c**ts, but I for one am fed up with us getting the blame for everything around here. It's us old c**ts with nothing better to do that keep the forum alive.

That said, I think I'll go outside now... I may be some time. (Geddit?)

Yours grumpily,

Tim. x

Yep and I agree with you both, the poster has tripped themselves up without needing help from us. However, if it were only after constant bumping they began to attract the hostility then you'd be totally right but they were getting stick straight off their first post - before the bumping and the notion they were here for one thing only. So the bumping idea isn't an excuse.

BONZER - PLEASE READ THIS CAREFULLY
I've been making polite suggestions as to how you can increase your visibility here and maximise your presence without attracting hostility but you haven't really listened. So you need to refrain from bumping, please, or else you'll be bumped and the thread locked.

:)

oooh what a todo! is bumping and locking threads like really REALLY bad?