Lost faith in new British Comedy? Page 2

I like having low expectations about British comedy. And as Sophie Ellis Bextor once said, a pessimist is never disappointed.

Quote: chipolata @ October 10, 2007, 10:12 AM

as Sophie Ellis Bextor once said

Huh?

My thoughts exactly. Laughing out loud

It's not only British comedy I have lost faith in, but British TV. Recently, I've been watching more US material. Shows like CSI, NCIS, Jericho, Boston Legal, to name four. The only comedy I watch is Two and a Half Men, and that is only funny because its becoming increasingly smutty.

I don't watch Doctor Who, or Robin Hood. Mainly due to what I would call over hype, and poor casting.

I tend to buy more and more classic shows on DVD. I don't know if thats a sign of the times, or maybe I'm just sad.

How do you know Doctor Who has poor casting, unless you watch it?

You are officially, a silly sausage.

don't leave out robin hood zoo, kieth allen is great in it.

True, he is ace.
I think I've just about got over being scared of him in Shallow Grave. It's only taken 15 years.

Quote: Charlie Boy @ October 13, 2007, 1:25 AM

I don't watch Doctor Who, or Robin Hood. Mainly due to what I would call over hype, and poor casting.

My avatar totally disagrees. Pirate
Mr Tennant is one of the finest British actors there is.

David Tennant is a brilliant entertainer, but in my opinion is an overrated actor. Dr Who is a role that gives no real emotional depth, and it will take a far more serious (I don't mean serious in tone, I mean serious in style) production to test his ability.

He's been in lots of other productions, have you seen him in any?
And btw I think there's quite a shitload of emotional depth in Dr Who the way he's done it.

Tennants a great actor, and perfect in the role of the Doctor; so bad casting? Er? Dr who has, on the whole, been pretty spot on with its casting, even if when a name is announced youve been a bit confused. I remember when it was announced John Barrowman was going to be in it, I thought they were joking as I only remembered him from a very shoddy stint on an old saturday morning kids show-but then he turned out to be perfect and now hes a big star!

Quote: chipolata @ October 10, 2007, 10:12 AM

I like having low expectations about British comedy. And as Sophie Ellis Bextor once said, a pessimist is never disappointed.

I love that album. So many terrible puns.

theaudience if anyone didn't know.

Quote: Badge @ October 10, 2007, 12:56 AM

Well said David. For me it might be more than 1 in 5, but I agree that the ratio hasn't changed too much. Instead of moaning about how crap British comedy is, maybe we should be reveling in how many outlets there are for new British comedy now? Back in the so-called golden age we only had 3 (count 'em) channels, none of which were able to repeat 2 Pints.

I can remember only having one station. Our TV couldn't receive ITV - or that's what my Dad told me.

Laughing out loud

Quote: zooo @ October 13, 2007, 6:02 PM

He's been in lots of other productions, have you seen him in any?
And btw I think there's quite a shitload of emotional depth in Dr Who the way he's done it.

I disliked Casanova - the entire production - but was impressed by his role in Stephen Fry's Waugh adaptation 'Bright Young Things.' In Dr Who the storylines and set-ups change so swiftly that it's impossible to build a believable character. He is forced to flit between manic and brooding. I think I can be justified into calling him overrated when he is hailed as one of Britain's best actors; that's hardly fierce criticism.

Quote: Cinnamon @ October 13, 2007, 7:34 PM

I think I can be justified into calling him overrated when he is hailed as one of Britain's best actors; that's hardly fierce criticism.

Fair point. Though I will still fight you with swords and that.

I didn't like Casanova either. He was ace in Secret Smile and Blackpool.
I think I'll try to see him in Hamlet on stage next year too. See what his acting's like in the flesh.