Becker

Anybody else like Becker here?

I think it's good on the whole - sometimes hit and miss. I can't believe this is the same Ted Danson who played Sam Malone, though. A very good actor, and John is very much the anti-Sam. It owes a bit of a debt to Frasier, too, and in a sense forces comparisons to not just Cheers, but Frasier, too. I couldn't stand Reggie at the diner, I thought she was a desperate, complaining windbag. She was so plain she got air miles.

Not really given it a chance.

What's that other Ted Danson show? I recorded something the other night and Ted Danson was in it, I haven't watched it yet, called something like 'Please Help Me?'

Can't believe there's not been a thread about this show before.

Anyway, I love it. Quite possibly my favourite American sitcom - certainly up there. Have to disagree most strongly about Reggie though, and felt the show really went downhill after she left. Whilst I'd love to have seen more episodes, I'm kind of glad they didn't drag it out any longer without her. Nevertheless, I thought that the show was littered with witty retorts, biting remarks, and brilliantly clever observations - and that's not to mention being very funny. :)

Perhaps Becker's a bit too much like me.

Quote: Leevil @ October 11, 2007, 5:15 PM

Not really given it a chance.

What's that other Ted Danson show? I recorded something the other night and Ted Danson was in it, I haven't watched it yet, called something like 'Please Help Me?'

I believe it's called Help Me, Help You - oh and, DAMN, I MISSED IT! Excuse me [Composing himself. Sighs philisophically].

And Aaron, can I ask you what you like about Reggie, because from where I'm sitting she's a boring, painfully desperate, unattractive whingebag who keeps making "jokes" about Becker complaining all the time when she can't stop complaining herself! Damn, I hate Reggie!

Chris was great! Because she's the opposite of Becker, there's some excellent chemistry between them. Reggie and Becker were too alike. Every scene between Becker and Chris is wonderfully hilarious and edging on classic.

Becker: Can you stop saying how you love everything? Makes me sick.

From when Chris met Becker in the diner and she started correcting everything Becker said with, "I know I'm inturrupting but ... " It was just great. And it was thanks to Nancy Travis as Chris that the show didn't get cancelled after it's fourth season. Terry Farrell who played Reggie was fired, thank goodness!

P.S
All my sniping is aimed at Reggie, not you personally Aaron.

I didn't know Ted Danson was in it - you can't watchthem all - can you???

Anyway I loved him in Cheers so may give it a go.

Watched an episode during the summer and I liked it. You can't help thinking about Sam when he's there but it was all pretty sharply done. I think there was an Italian/New Yorker in it who was pretty good too.

Quote: David H @ October 11, 2007, 10:23 PM

Watched an episode during the summer and I liked it. You can't help thinking about Sam when he's there but it was all pretty sharply done. I think there was an Italian/New Yorker in it who was pretty good too.

That'll be Saverio Guerra.

Quote: Dave @ October 11, 2007, 6:32 PM

And Aaron, can I ask you what you like about Reggie, because from where I'm sitting she's a boring, painfully desperate, unattractive whingebag who keeps making "jokes" about Becker complaining all the time when she can't stop complaining herself! Damn, I hate Reggie!

*snip*

Well, I certainly wouldn't say she's unattractive. (Definitely more attractive than Chris, either way.) Desperate, whiney and all that - yes, fair enough, perhaps she was. But for me that was part of her 'charm', and all part of what I liked about her. More specifically than that, I've never really thought about it so am not sure. The dynamic between them, fuelled by both their similarities and their differences, I always enjoyed. I felt they had a good balance of different parts of the show, character exposure and so on. With Chris, she was too annoying and there was far too much screen-time devoted to her far too quickly.

And I've forgotten what I was saying now. Far too tired. :)

Theres an angry man, a blind black man and a sci fi lesbian. What's not to like?

Sci-fi lesbian? o_0

I loved Becker. There was this wonderful episode where he was accused of being racist for lambasting bad drivers... that one was superb!

Quote: Aaron @ October 11, 2007, 10:48 PM

That'll be Saverio Guerra.

Yeah, Bob was really funny. He didn't renew his contract for Season Six so was replaced by that big bloke who's now in Lost.

Quote: Ben Ripley @ October 12, 2007, 8:59 AM

I loved Becker. There was this wonderful episode where he was accused of being racist for lambasting bad drivers... that one was superb!

Yeah, that one was great. That kind of thing happens far far too much in real life, so I was glad to see the issue tackled in a TV programme.

Quote: Aaron @ October 12, 2007, 8:53 AM

Sci-fi lesbian? o_0

Jadzia Dax from Star Trek Deep Space Nine :$

Yes Terry Farrel the sci/fi not lesbian, she went out with Bashir and she was married to Worf. Maybe bisexual. But she is sexy and so is Shawnee Smith. Becker was the best Ted Danson sitcom of the 4 of them being Cheers, Ink(c), Becker and Help Me Help You.