Comedians who are surprisingly good actors Page 2

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ December 30 2009, 12:16 AM GMT

Edit: No my mistake, just read his wiki, he wasn't a proper stand up, he was a comic actor.

He played a stand up in one of his early films, Punchline, with Sally Field. Not a great film, but not a terrible one either. I have to say I always remembered him as having been a stand up in the days before his acting career too. Not particularly sure why...

Will Ferrall - Started out in the early days as a stand up, now a top class actor, I pretty much never miss a film with him in it (man crush).

With expception pretty much all stands ups can act to a degree - acting is about confidence and pretending to be someone else, that's basically all stand ups / comedians do, a vast majority have stand personas, it still makes me laugh when I hear about someone who's met Jimmy Carr or similair style comedian and expect to be punched and called a whore and how "Surprised" they are about them being nice or polite.

Jerry Lewis is very good in the King of Comedy. I also liked Richard Belzer in Homicide: life on the Street, and then later playing the same character in Law and Order: SVU. He's by far the best thing in the show.

Denis Leary is an ok actor and cool as ice.

Quote: Henrik Bengtsson @ December 30 2009, 3:26 PM GMT

Denis Leary is an ok actor and cool as ice.

Leary wasn't really a comic; he was an impressionist.

Billy Connolly has got good reviews for his acting. I don't think I've ever seen him in anything though.

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ December 30 2009, 4:19 PM GMT

Billy Connolly has got good reviews for his acting. I don't think I've ever seen him in anything though.

He played a nice little cameo in The Boondock Saints. Not a bad flick:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0144117/

He acted in Mrs Brown as well

He was quite good as a child molester in one film. Although the film was hard work.

And although I don't really like Robin Williams, he was very good in One Hour Photo.

Quote: chipolata @ December 30 2009, 4:30 PM GMT

And although I don't really like Robin Williams, he was very good in One Hour Photo.

That Chris Nolan film too, with Al Pacino. The name of which escapes me. 'Insomnia' maybe.

If we're going American, we could reel off pretty much all the big black standups. Guys like Chris Rock and Chris Tucker have had roles in "straight" movies, albeit often as comic relief.

The only one that springs to mind as a "surprisingly good" actor is Jamie Foxx.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ December 30 2009, 4:39 PM GMT

That Chris Nolan film too, with Al Pacino. The name of which escapes me. 'Insomnia' maybe.

Can't forget The Fisher King, either.

And Lenny Henry just won a best newcomer acting award for his Othello. Which I haven't seen.

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ December 30 2009, 4:44 PM GMT

If we're going American, we could reel off pretty much all the big black standups. Guys like Chris Rock and Chris Tucker have had roles in "straight" movies, albeit often as comic relief.

The only one that springs to mind as a "surprisingly good" actor is Jamie Foxx.

He's not a comedian surely???

Quote: zooo @ December 30 2009, 5:13 PM GMT

He's not a comedian surely???

Jamie Foxx is a stand up, yeah.

Is this another Tom Hanks situation, or is it real...
:)
Didn't know he was a comedian, can't imagine it somehow.