Ricky Gervais - Time for a backlash? Page 3

Quote: charley rance @ January 7, 2007, 10:19 PM

I dont embrace it as much as the office, i mean the Office was doubly bril being a first time ever docu comedy.

What about Operation Good Guys, I love the office But OGG got there first

Quote: Britcom Barry @ January 7, 2007, 10:24 PM

Sorry to report i have never seen Operation Good Guys. Where can i catch a glimpse. I cant comment therefore,*Face burning with shame *

I think in this country we build people up just to knock them down...just because Extra's isn't in the same league as The Office certainly doesn't make it poor...it's still very good compared to hell of a lot of dross on screen this year. Gervais will always have The Office tag around his neck even if he does change his style.

My feelings on Ricky are similar to my feelings about Michael Moore. When he first came on the scene he was a breath of fresh air, but over-exposure and starting to believe his own hype have started to grate. The Office is a work of genius, and Extras made me laugh a lot (although usually when Merchant was on screen), but the shows he did where he meets his comedy heroes were dire. And the way he constantly lambasts "catchphrase comedy" is frankly crazy. Blackadder, Father Ted, The Fast Show, I'm Alan Partridge were all comedy juggernauts which were quite happy to embrace catchphrases. And, ironically, Seinfeld and The Simpsons, two of fatboys favourite shows, were also heavy on the catchphrase.

Quote: chipolata @ January 8, 2007, 10:43 AM

And the way he constantly lambasts "catchphrase comedy" is frankly crazy. Blackadder, Father Ted, The Fast Show, I'm Alan Partridge were all comedy juggernauts which were quite happy to embrace catchphrases. And, ironically, Seinfeld and The Simpsons, two of fatboys favourite shows, were also heavy on the catchphrase.

Not really. I think it's fair to say that he is taking aim at Little Britain et al, shows that rely completely on catchphrases to get laughs, rather than something like The Simpsons where catchphrases are a small part of what makes it funny.

EVERY show has its own range of catchphrases. They always have and always will and there's nothing wrong with that. My angst has nothing do with catchphrases but more to do with the way RG has become the definitive last word on comedy. Gervais/Brent is a good partnership but it took Gary Shandling to not laugh along with a joke that really is wearing thin to point out the obvious.

[quote name="Britcom Barry" post="5580" date="January 7, 2007, 10:24 PM"]

I've been watching this thread roll on and agree and disagree with a number of the points made but felt compelled to put finger to keyboard where Operation Good Guys is concerned. They may have had a docu type comedy before The Office but they were defiantly not the first to use that style, what about People Like Us with Chris Langham? The only thing that Operation Good Guys got there first with, was making me piss on the telly for the first time.

Now THAT is a very good point and let's face it, guys like Chris Langham have a proven track record to stretch their abilities beyond just one character.

But just because people rate Chris Langham it doesn't mean they can't rate Ricky Gervais as well. Comedy isn't particularly a competition.

Quote: Nick @ January 8, 2007, 4:55 PM

But just because people rate Chris Langham it doesn't mean they can't rate Ricky Gervais as well. Comedy isn't particularly a competition.

Damn Right!!!!!!
What would comedy be like if this were true. Can you imagine!!!
Not funny for the majority.

I like RG/SM. they tickle me. I belly laughed at Animals & Politics.
I loved the books, podcasts,Office & Extras. I will continue to be a fan right up until they stop making my sides ache. So far repeated watching still leaves a stitch.

Everything turns to gold for them, and so it should.

Say what you will, this duo are massive both here & Abroad, & rightly so.

I am glad we dont all like the same. Imagine a world where there was no choices because we were the same. Same music, same films, same books, same comedy.

Urghhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!

Quote: Mark Rushton @ January 8, 2007, 1:25 PM

[quote name="Britcom Barry" post="5580" date="January 7, 2007, 10:24 PM"]

I've been watching this thread roll on and agree and disagree with a number of the points made but felt compelled to put finger to keyboard where Operation Good Guys is concerned. They may have had a docu type comedy before The Office but they were defiantly not the first to use that style, what about People Like Us with Chris Langham? The only thing that Operation Good Guys got there first with, was making me piss on the telly for the first time.

People like Us started on TV in 1999 (not sure about the radio) Operation Good Guys Started in 1997 So.......... long before the Office anyway

Is pissing on the TV, a Good or Bad thing?
Is pissing on the TV, better or worst than shitting in a video?

Quote: Britcom Barry @ January 8, 2007, 8:02 PM

Is pissing on the TV, a Good or Bad thing?
Is pissing on the TV, better or worst than shitting in a video?

I have just tried to do both. I guess pissing is easier for a guy tho. I missed the electrics at the back (good thing i feel).Luckily for me my hubbie blamed the dog for the poop. He did spend the last 3 hours thinking up scenarios for how our pet managed to poop in the DVD player. (I am too posh to do video in this day & age)
I must just add, it was wondrous to watch my husband clean up my very own poop. I feel all cleansed from revenge.
Well he did choose a Watford Fc game with his mates,over a day at the theatre with me. The selfish inconsiderate Wart Hog!!!!!!!!!!!1
Surprisingly my tv screen now looks remarkably clean. Stinks tho.
Eeeeeeeeeeek.

Laughing out loud Laughing out loud Laughing out loud Laughing out loud