Computer Help Needed Page 2

Quote: Matthew Stott @ December 12 2009, 3:35 PM GMT

Ok, cool, thanks.

Tis annoying, I was just about to write an e-mail to someone, and the electronics spam automatically pastes itself into the body of the e-mail! Spamming bastards!!!!

Hang on. It appears when your writing emails?

I sent Matt an email this morning and I got a reply about two minutes later with the subject "Vacation AutoReply" or something and then all the gubbins about electronics. Then I got a reply from Matt later on.

MADNESS!

Quote: Gavin @ December 12 2009, 3:36 PM GMT

Hang on. It appears when your writing emails?

Yeah, I click on the new thingy, so I can write an email, and it appears in the body of this new email suddenly, so I have to delete it. Weeeiird.

Quote: Ben @ December 12 2009, 3:39 PM GMT

I sent Matt an email this morning and I got a reply about two minutes later with the subject "Vacation AutoReply"

Yeah, I don't know what that was about, I had to turn it off.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ December 12 2009, 3:43 PM GMT

Yeah, I click on the new thingy, so I can write an email, and it appears in the body of this new email suddenly, so I have to delete it. Weeeiird.

It might not be to bad, check in signatures settings and see if it is in there. I'd still scan your comp though

Quote: Gavin @ December 12 2009, 3:47 PM GMT

It might not be to bad, check in signatures settings and see if it is in there.

Ah, see, that's so obvious but I hadn't thought about it. I'm a technical dunce, cheers.

I think it's quite unlikely to be a signature if it's in your (presumably automated) vaction replies. That's ... worrying, to say the least.

Is this webmail (Gmail, Hotmail) or a program (Outlook, Windows Mail)?

Hotmail. I've just downloaded some spybot search thing, so I'm running that, then I'll change my password again. Hopefully that might sort things. It's not been doing it all the time anyway, just the last two friday nights.

Probably not on your computer if it's Hotmail then. Sounds really odd.

What about that business some weeks ago when people's email info was published on a website? Any way of checking if yours is amongst them? I know this won't solve the problem but it could be useful to know how it's happened.

Try putting some of the notable points from the spam into Google e.g the website it's directing people too. You might be able to find others who are having the same trouble and perhaps a solution.

A little tip, from someone who has been involved in penetration testing in the past - don't open an email account with a password you use on some other site. It's a pain in the arris granted (having to remember extra passwords), but it's well well worth bearing in mind.

Have you thought of looking at hotmails help?

Quote: Moonstone @ December 12 2009, 7:21 PM GMT

A little tip, from someone who has been involved in penetration testing in the past

:O

Quote: Moonstone @ December 12 2009, 7:21 PM GMT

A little tip, from someone who has been involved in penetration testing in the past

You just ask for it sometimes don't you...

Where's ITDavid? (sarcasm).