NBC's The IT Crowd

Here's a review I found of the American Version of "The IT Crowd".

Looks like they're using the same dialogue. I personally don't think surreal British Comedy will ever work in an American production. We like our comedy realistic. And mostly bland. :D

Only surreal thing I can think of is maybe "Strangers With Candy" or "Upright Citizen's Brigade", but those were on Comedy Central over here. They can do with experimenting.

http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2007/05/nbcs_the_it_crowd.html

-Erik

You make me laugh Erik, you're like our US correspondent.

Bland, yes I'll agree :P

Mr Show was slightly surreal and also brilliant. I would like to see what the US can do with The IT Crowd, remember when The Office was first remade it pretty much stuck to the same scripts as the UK one, but in Season 2 it really became it's own show and is great in its own right. It's now onto it's 4th Season.

Wow, that's an in depth look isn't it? Richard Ayoade is in it. That'll be interesting. I think this will go the same way as Coupling and others. Same dialogue, but deferent performances making it shit.

Actually, I thought as of last month this was canceled and NBC aren't going ahead with The IT Crowd?

It's mentioned as a mid season replacement, which probably means they didn't pick the show up for a series after the pilot and went with something else which has done shite in the ratings so they've scraped that show and have gone ahead with The IT Crowd anyway because they had nothing better.

Ayoade could become a big star over there, if he manages to get on T.V. They'll love the fact that he's posh and black, because it will be such a novelty over there. I remember years ago, the black guy from 'Hustle' was a guest on 'Oprah'. He was unknown over there, and seemed to have been asked onto the show by Oprah, simply because she'd never heard of a posh English black person before.

>> It's mentioned as a mid season replacement, <<

Initially, it was scheduled for the fall lineup. Shortly after that, NBC changed its mind and started calling it a midseason replacement.

Last month, the Hollywood Reporter published an article saying that the project was such a mess that production on the series (beyond the finished pilot) may not even happen.

So, it remains to be seen if THE IT CROWD will ever really see the light of day. Doesn't sound good.

-- Jerry

Welcome to the forums Jerry.

Wave

Quote: Martin Holmes @ October 4, 2007, 4:13 PM

...but in Season 2 it really became it's own show and is great in its own right. It's now onto it's 4th Season.

Ugh. How does it even make sense that a documentary film team would be following an office for four years? Rolling eyes I tried watching it and just couldn't.

I hope the American IT Crowd never sees the light of day.

Yes, welcome Jerry, and thanks for that info. :)

Hi Jerry, Welcome to the BSG Wave

Adam

Quote: Mick Dolan @ October 6, 2007, 9:40 AM

Ugh. How does it even make sense that a documentary film team would be following an office for four years? Rolling eyes I tried watching it and just couldn't.

I hope the American IT Crowd never sees the light of day.

You should really give it a chance, I disregarded it for ages because I thought it would just pale in comparison to The Office UK, but it really is brilliant and in a way better than The Office UK, the characters are a lot more rounded and the humour is not just restricted to 'cringe-worthy' and 'awkward' stuff. Really great show.

According to Graham Linehan this might now not make it to air...

Blog Post

It's an interesting read - Linehan points out the faults he made with the first UK series and offers suggestions to the American writers about what they should do to make the show a hit over there ("Try not to have any hugging or learning" made me laugh).

No Hugging No Learning was the tagline that Seinfeld had. Graham just really wants to make a show like Seinfeld doesn't he?