Registering and Copyright

First time poster, long time reader - almost works.

Just a quick one regarding what to do pre-submitting screenplays/sketches to prospective organisations/competitions.

I read (albeit on a US Writing site) that you should register every single piece of finished work before sending off somewhere to avoid plagiarism, is this true and is this the standard procedure?

Thanks for the help.

No.

I use an internet service where, whenever I finish a script, the complete text is tattooed onto the skin of a small Indian child working in a sweat-shop, who is holding a copy of today's newspaper during the procedure. Then, in the event of plagiarism, I can simply fly the child and his newspaper over to confront the thieving swine!

Quote: Tim Walker @ November 16 2009, 10:22 PM GMT

I use an internet service where, whenever I finish a script, the complete text is tattooed onto the skin of a small Indian child working in a sweat-shop, who is holding a copy of today's newspaper during the procedure. Then, in the event of plagiarism, I can simply fly the child and his newspaper over to confront the thieving swine!

Laughing out loud

What is going on here?

Quote: Migs @ November 16 2009, 10:16 PM GMT

First time poster, long time reader - almost works.

Just a quick one regarding what to do pre-submitting screenplays/sketches to prospective organisations/competitions.

I read (albeit on a US Writing site) that you should register every single piece of finished work before sending off somewhere to avoid plagiarism, is this true and is this the standard procedure?

Thanks for the help.

It's good policy to post your script to yourself using Royal Mail Special Delivery. Mark on the back the title of the script and when you sign for the item on delivery, don't open it, just file it. Then you can send other copies out.
If ever it got plagiarised you take the unopened letter/packet to a solicitor to open and the proof is there, you wrote it first

Quote: Migs @ November 16 2009, 10:16 PM GMT

First time poster, long time reader.

Then I wish you'd read the post about checking whether a thread has cropped up in the past. :D

There are several threads here dealing with this subject.

I'm not grumpy, I'm typing fast as I have a bun that needs his bedtime cwch.

:)

Oh and welcome Migs, btw. Wave