Question about sample scripts

Okay, so I keep hearing people talking about sending Production Companies a Treament, and a 10-page Sample Script. Well, I was wondering, instead of 10 pages of one long scene, would they also accept, say, 2 different 5-page scenes, or even 5 different 2-page scenes? I'm asking because, let's face it, the thing people most remember about sitcoms is funny dialogue, so, shouldn't we as writers make sure these Production Companies get to read all of our best dialogue, even if much of it isn't even connected in the script?

Quote: catskillz @ September 19, 2007, 4:51 AM

Okay, so I keep hearing people talking about sending Production Companies a Treament, and a 10-page Sample Script. Well, I was wondering, instead of 10 pages of one long scene, would they also accept, say, 2 different 5-page scenes, or even 5 different 2-page scenes? I'm asking because, let's face it, the thing people most remember about sitcoms is funny dialogue, so, shouldn't we as writers make sure these Production Companies get to read all of our best dialogue, even if much of it isn't even connected in the script?

They just want ten pages of a script, regardless of how many scenes it is, not just one long scene. (In fact, certainly *not* one long scene!)

They want: characters set up, believable and for the audience to empathise with them; character dynamics/interactions believable and interesting and they want one or two plot lines (main and secondary) all within those ten pages.

Oh, and it has to be funny too (probably minimum three 'laughs' per page).

Basically, you want them to *want* to know what happens after those ten pages, forcing them to ask for the rest of your script.

The thing people mostly remember about sitcoms is character, not dialogue. They may quote dialogue, but it's the characters that make the plots interesting. Read the pinned threads at the top of the 'Critique' board for everyone's opinions of character/plot -- they're well worth it. In my opinion, dialogue/witty lines are the very last layer on top of good characterisation and sound plotting of a funny situation. It should still be interesting and funny without the dialogue/jokes -- they're just the icing on the cake.

Hope this helps

Dan

Thanks for that.

By the way, if a Production Company likes your Treatment and Sample script, do they expect it to be completely finished, and ready to go into production? Personally speaking, I'm at the stage where I've got a beginning and an end for my script, with sub-plots for every episode, lots of funny characters with their own back-stories, and loads of funny dialogue/lines, but I'm not at the stage where I've got the whole series printed out, sitting on a table, waiting to be read.

They never get scripts that are ready to go straight into production, so no, they don't expect this. Production companies work to commissioning briefs and are influenced by fashion within the industry. Writers usually are motivated by other things and are often influenced by writers and/or ideas that are not in fashion, so the two rarely agree.

A production company is looking for a great writer. Nothing else really matters. They will help you tie your shoe laces if you struggle with that, so long as you're a great writer.

Not an okay one. That's why most people don't make it. They're okay. Alright, not a bad writer. There are hundreds of thousands of 'okay' writers.

Hi. Treatment should be four pages giving: Title and contact details on front page, and a graphic/cartoon to sum the idea up would be good. Top of page two you need a "one-liner", summing up your idea in one (eye-catching) sentence. Then outline the basic story points. Next a list of characters and how they relate to each other. If there's any room left at the end - think of some great marketing points (a spinoff CD of music from the show for instance). As for your ten pages, be careful about long scenes. These days the motto of broadcasters seems to be "If you don't grab the audience in 20 seconds they'll be off". So scenes need to be short at first, relaxing later. Editing a scene is so important. Is every word absolutely necessary? Hope this helps a bit

That's great. Thanks.

A graphic/cartoon? Never heard of such a thing.

Yeah! You're going to have expand on that one.