Gladiator (a sketch) Page 2

I ought to know better :D

Nice one. For a minute though I thought you were going to do the same sketch I wrote a while ago.

CLOSE-UP OF A GLADIATOR'S FACE. HE LOOKS LIKE RUSSELL CROWE.

SOLDIER:
My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, Commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor, Marcus Aurelius. Father to a murdered son and husband to a murdered wife.

CAMERA PULLS BACK TO REVEAL HE'S IN A TATTOOIST'S PARLOUR ABOUT TO HAVE A TATTOO DONE ON HIS ARM.

TATTOOIST:
(CAMPLY) I'll just put "Max", shall I?

I think yours is better though Cool

Quote: Lee Henman @ November 4 2009, 9:01 PM GMT

Nice one. For a minute though I thought you were going to do the same sketch I wrote a while ago.

SOLDIER:
My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, Commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor, Marcus Aurelius. Father to a murdered son and husband to a murdered wife.

CAMERA PULLS BACK TO REVEAL HE'S IN A TATTOOIST'S PARLOUR ABOUT TO HAVE A TATTOO DONE ON HIS ARM.

TATTOOIST:

That is great.
Laughing out loud

yea it's a good'n Lee

Excellent - a good runner, Lee!

Very good indeed - both the original post and Lee's.

Quote: Roodeye @ November 4 2009, 7:31 PM GMT

For me, the joke is more complex than that, and so both the entirety of his dialogue and the shot of him on the X spot are integral to the sketch. Cool

For me the joke was Laughing out loud - end of.

Next!!

Nice one Lee.

Quote: Lee Henman @ November 4 2009, 9:01 PM GMT

SOLDIER:

TATTOOIST:

Actually, assuming I can piece together the original sketch from the clues in the thread, the running joke could be that same character and speech done in a number of different situations. Off the top of my head, panning out to have him sitting at a speed dating table and have the woman opposite him staring aghast before answering simply, "Right..." or maybe just pausing for a moment before the bell rings and she gets up and leaves. Or maybe him turning very soft and asking "Too much?". I dunno. I'm sure there's one in there somewhere.

However, I assume the added subtext of the original sketch was a parody of the number of people who go on things like the X-Factor and present a sob story in the hope that it will garner them sympathy votes, which is also valid and doesn't carry through entirely. Though equally, I imagine someone going speed dating might also be happy to take a sympathy vote.

Quote: Ironhide @ November 6 2009, 11:14 PM GMT

However, I assume the added subtext of the original sketch was a parody of the number of people who go on things like the X-Factor and present a sob story in the hope that it will garner them sympathy votes

That was how I saw it, & I thought it was very funny & clever.

Ironhide it's a verbatim speech from the film Gladiator, the joke is the pull back reveal that he is an X factor contendor.

Did you know scenes from Gladiator were filmed in Bracknell Forest? My brother told me that.

Quote: Marc P @ November 6 2009, 11:30 PM GMT

Ironhide it's a verbatim speech from the film Gladiator, the joke is the pull back reveal that he is an X factor contendor.

And it works well just on that basis, but the sob story similarities make it even better.

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ November 6 2009, 11:33 PM GMT

And it works well just on that basis, but the sob story similarities make it even better.

Come on Roodeye has moved on a lot now, he's not pulling on our heartstrings so much anymore.

I think this is not working. Gladiator? Really? Nope.