Celebrity name game Page 2

Quote: Paul Shepley @ November 6 2009, 7:48 PM GMT

I'll never stop tryin to make people laugh. I'm 25 but I've just in the past 6 months started writing funny stories & things, this was my first try at a sketch. The support in this forum has been fantastic actually. I thought I'd be banished. I'm currently trying to work out if I'm 'man down the pub' funny or 'funny' funny. I think & hope I'm the latter.

Well, if it doesn't work out you can go back to catching monkeys.
;)

PS Hello.

It's just trying to find the work, it is quite a niche profession. The need for a monkey catcher isn't quite as high as you might expect. And hello to you.

Quote: Paul Shepley @ November 6 2009, 7:53 PM GMT

It's just trying to find the work, it is quite a niche profession. The need for a monkey catcher isn't quite as high as you might expect. And hello to you.

Ultimately, what kind of thing would you like to do in comedy? Sketches, sitcom, shorts, acting etc?

I've no ambition to be in front of a camera or on a stage what-so-ever. I've always enjoyed writing. Not necessarily comedy, just writing. Stories & scripts to be honest. I've a few good ideas & the things I have written have had a good reaction. I could do with some education or to do a course or something on how to put ideas into practice or script writing or something. I seem to lack direction but be full of ideas.

Quote: Paul Shepley @ November 6 2009, 8:10 PM GMT

I seem to lack direction but be full of ideas.

Buy a compass.
Best of luck with de ol' writing ting.
:)

Welcome Paul

It isn't the worst sketch or the worst idea for one by any means. There's something in it. I just think you need to go through it line by line to work out whether what you've written is needed, or could be funnier, or makes sense.

For example, this exchange:

Quote: Paul Shepley @ November 5 2009, 9:00 PM GMT

Dad: Who's that girl?

Daughter: Which?

Dad shows daughter the picture.

Dad: That one, the one with a dog in her handbag.

Daughter: That's Peaches.

Dad: Peaches?

Daughter: Yeah, she's called Peaches.

Dad: No sweetheart, not the name of the dog, the name of the girl.

doesn't make sense because we know he's asked "who's that girl" so he wouldn't assume her reply was about the dog. You could condense all the above to something like:

Dad: Who's that?

Daughter: That's Peaches.

Dad: No sweetheart, not the name of the dog, the name of the girl.