London Film Festival and drive-in movies...

As usual I searched for threads on this but couldn't see one - sorry if I missed it.

Has anyone been to any of the current 'crop' of films?

I saw Nymph yesterday...

Nymph - The supernatural intervenes in a failing marriage in Pen-ek Ratanaruang's wonderfully offbeat tale of a photographer who enters the jungle and emerges a changed man.

:S

Great to see something a bit different, although I was none the wiser by the end. :)

There have been lots of great films on which we couldn't get tickets for and interesting talks Q&As etc so what has anyone else seen?

Also found out about this yesterday:

http://www.pinewoodgroup.com/gen/z_sys_storyNews.aspx?intNewsId=357

Pinewood studios are hosting some drive in movies for about 6 weekends. Looks good fun and I've always wanted to go to one so will hopefully get along at some point. I may not have much say in what I see though - I suspect my hopes of a romcom will be dashed.

Not a cheap event but maybe one or two from here might be interested for that 'American experience'

:)

They've got some great films on as well. On Saturday they're showing The Omen and The Shining in a Haloween special. £35 a car, shared between (max of) 4 of you's good value I think. If only you going then it's expensive. It doesn't say what they charge for motorbikes. Yeah I like the look of that.

Thanks Alfred, maybe see you there!

I only mentioned cost as originally we were thinking of a double bill and that could be £70 between two. More for the VIP version.

But I'm now thinking of just picking one film. We weren't sure about four to a car in terms of people in the back seeing anything!

:)

I saw Mike Judge's new film: Extract. As a big fan of Judge, particularly Office Space, I had great expectations. And it sure delivered. It's freaking hilarious. He's a genius at making comedy from the mundane. Jason Bateman is great as the lead and there's also an excellent performance by Ben Affleck. And Gene Simmons as a contemptible attorney is a stroke of casting genius. Well worth watching.

That looks brilliant! A lot of those films I love or would like to see.

Why don't I live near there?! Angry

Quote: JuliaC @ October 29 2009, 12:27 PM BST

Shhhh!

Quote: Finck @ October 29 2009, 12:36 PM BST

Shhhh!

:D

Quote: JuliaC @ October 29 2009, 12:27 PM BST

That looks brilliant! A lot of those films I love or would like to see.

Because you live in the 18th Century.

Anyway. Some good films at Pinewood, but aside from the fact that I can't drive, I almost had a heart attack upon seeing the price. Far, far too much.

Quote: Aaron @ October 29 2009, 1:56 PM BST

Because you live in the 18th Century.

That'd be ace. Or 19th would be better. For a bit anyway, a time holiday or something.

Hopefully Jane, if I can persuade others. If I go I'll look out for that bird with the big shnoz from Love Soup, that right? I prefer the Omen really, it's a shame that's not the later film, sorry, movie. Yes I don't know how the other two would see it, now you mention it, if there's four of you, good point. Maybe an American could give us tips on how this works. And you're not allowed alcohol, but how would they know you've got any?

Hi Simon

I'll definitely be watching that film at some point - thanks for the heads up! :)

Julia - I thought of you as BJD is on - shame you're not closer. :(

Hello Finck Wave

and hello Moonshine and Aaron how can you put a price on such a cool film/ dating experience?

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ October 29 2009, 2:42 PM BST

Hopefully Jane, if I can persuade others. If I go I'll look out for that bird with the big shnoz from Love Soup, that right? I prefer the Omen really, it's a shame that's not the later film, sorry, movie. Yes I don't know how the other two would see it, now you mention it, if there's four of you, good point. Maybe an American could give us tips on how this works. And you're not allowed alcohol, but how would they know you've got any?

Be great to see you there - I wish I did look like her! But I'm sure we could communicate via car honkings during a quiet moment on screen.

We should definitely keep each other posted if we do make any of them.

Jx

Quote: Jane P @ October 31 2009, 7:50 PM GMT

Julia - I thought of you as BJD is on - shame you're not closer. :(

Awww, I know; and Notting Hill too!

Everyone should get the opportunity to go to a drive-in movie. Yes, it's kind of an American thing, but lots of fun. Over here, it's relatively cheap and my kids and I have a blast going. We pop lots of popcorn, put on our pajamas (hey, nobody will notice) and then have the joy at honking at smoochers who don't realize the movie has finished.

I re-create the effect in my home by putting my Xbox steering wheel close to the telly and groping myself on the sofa.

Seriously, it would be great to see a first run movie at the drive-in, imagine being able to sit in your car and smoke, fart, make noise, etc.

But this being petty Britain, I bet if I did go to the drive in and light a cigarette inside my own car, people would complain as they have f**k all better to do.