Has anyone on here had a sitcom make it to TV?

Hey Wave

I'm new round here and was just reading a few posts and wondered, has anyone from this forum ever had anything make it to TV?

Also, do most people make enough to live on by writing scripts or do most of you have day jobs and write for a hobby?

I'm very new to writing and stumbled upon this forum, but judging by some of the posts I've read so far, I'm rather glad I did Sick

Cheers,

CMB Geek

Seefacts had some stuff on E4's School Of Comedy pilot, when it was part of Channel 4's Comedy Lab. Others have had stuff on radio too, Matthew Stott on That Mitchell And Webb Sound IIRC.

Quote: Chicken Meets Basket @ October 27 2009, 11:18 PM BST

CMB

I knew it. :D

Quote: Nil Putters @ October 27 2009, 11:21 PM BST

Seefacts had some stuff on E4's School Of Comedy pilot, when it was part of Channel 4's Comedy Lab. Others have had stuff on radio too, Matthew Stott on That Mitchell And Webb Sound IIRC.

I knew it. :D

Yeah I didn't want to jump in with Meetbag just yet Whistling nnocently

Nothing on TV as yet mate.
Thats the hope...one day!
Only written a sketch show,some radio material,and some charity stuff. The sketch show was picked up by a Production company but never got further than a short demo.
Now onto a sitcom (same company are helping to develop)

But in a nutshell...not a penny to date my friend! Hence working a couple of part time jobs to put bread on the table.

Marc P writes for Doctors and is a published author. David Isaac (who doesn't post that much) wrote BBC Three's Lunchmonkeys and so has the much-envied and highly-elusive sitcom series under his belt. Another contributor (who I won't name in case he doesn't want me to) has been writing TV comedy for years and writes for Have I Got News For You. John Warburton makes a living as a stand-up comedian and is now fast moving into the hallowed halls of BBC Comedy since winning a place on Micheal Jacob's Comedy College. So all these people are making a living at it and there're probably more on the site I don't know about.

Personally I've won a couple of BBC competitions and had a few sketches on telly, scripts "in development" and so on, so no millions for me yet, although I am lucky enough to make a living as a greetings card writer.

It is possible to make a living in TV comedy, but very, very difficult to get people to trust you enough to give you wodges of cash. There are far easier ways to make a living that's for sure. But if writing's in your blood, so to speak, what can you do?

Quote: Lee Henman @ October 28 2009, 1:46 PM BST

if writing's in your blood, so to speak, what can you do?

Get a transfusion? I had my plasma switched for a recruitment consultant's in Harrow and I've never been happier.

Quote: Lee Henman @ October 28 2009, 1:46 PM BST

I am lucky enough to make a living as a greetings card writer.

That's so unlikely, it just has to be true. :D

Quote: Nil Putters @ October 27 2009, 11:21 PM BST

Seefacts had some stuff on E4's School Of Comedy pilot....

Whatever happened to Seefacts?

Quote: steve by any other name @ October 28 2009, 3:00 PM BST

Whatever happened to Seefacts?

Fell into a wheat thresher. Awful business.

Yeah, threshing wheat is the worst kind of business...

Dan

Quote: swerytd @ October 28 2009, 3:02 PM BST

Dan

Wait a minute, no, he fell into Threshers. Awful business.

Quote: swerytd @ October 28 2009, 3:02 PM BST

Dan

Not as bad as threshing iron. It just won't be threshed, no matter how much you thresh it. Stupid iron.

The thresh levels are weally high as a writer.

You can get cream for that.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ October 28 2009, 3:04 PM BST

Not as bad as threshing iron. It just won't be threshed, no matter how much you thresh it. Stupid iron.

Thresh Metal?