First Look Page 3

I got the invite, several reminders, passwords etc. but it isn't something I feel I have time to get involved in. I had some very positive feedback from Jan in the past and think the idea and intentions are all good but the methods perhaps need a bit of fine tuning

If you are just starting out as a sitcom writer, this programme is an excellent resource. If you think you've written the next-big-thing then you are probably best off pitching it elsewhere. If it's a learning curve you want to ride, then this is the place. I've recently turned my hand to sitcom and have found this programme genuinely very useful indeed.

The Sitcom Trials used to run entirely on a peer-reviewed script-reading basis. On the old SitsVac Yahoogroup every writer would upload their entry to that month's Trials, and then every egroup member would be invited to read, review and vote on the scripts they'd read.

A simple mechanism by which a Yes vote was worth Two points, a Maybe was worth one point, a No was worth minus one point and a script you hadn't read remained unaffected, meant that within a week or so up to 60 scripts had been sifted through by dozens, sometimes a hundred, readers and we were able to draw up a shortlist which then went on to be read by actors round the table at a Sitcom Trials meeting, and from that we'd choose the scripts to perform in the show itself.

If anyone fancies reviving this simple, co-operative, interactive and free system, I'd love to see it happen again. It meant that, from its inception, I never had to read the bulk of scripts, many of which were inevitably dire, and only ever had to concern myself with the ones that clearly had something going for them. And, of course, there was a point to the process, namely the script's showcasing in the Trials (I can't see what you get at the end of the First Look process).

To see the old Sitcom Trials peer-review system in action, you can find the appropriate threads in the archive at: http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/SitsVac/messages/4675?viscount=-30&l=1
(this is a thread from 2001 where the group are voting on scripts with the following titles, anyone recognise one of their own?):

DEACON BLUE.
EVERYONES A SUSPECT.

AD NAUSEUM.
FABRIQUES.
GOD NO.
LOVELY.
ME AND NAN.
ME, HER, THEM AND US.
OVERPOWERING MUM.
PIZZA.
SLIM CHANCES.

CAFE ELEGANCE.
GREESE MONKEYS.
JAMAICA INN
McGILL.
MUD
PENTHOUSE.
SOUP OF THE DAY.
TOO MANY COOKS.
YOU'VE GOT TO REAP.
STORE DAYS.
WHY CAN'T DOGS GO TO HEAVEN.

The ethos behind First Look seems to be helping writers improve their skills, rather than a beauty contest. Inevitably, many scripts will be pretty bad. If writers can handle genuine feedback and are highly motivated, they will improve. If they are talented but need to hone their craft, they will eventually succeed. If they are deluded, they will eventually give up.

What do Screenplay do on a day to day basis? Their website doesn't really show much in the way of productions. No intention to knock them, but I am interested.

The website is not impressive.

Their use of English is poor and their understanding of copyright leaves much to be desired.

Also, any poor sod who has sufficient time on his hands to read three badly-written 30-minute sitcom scripts is unlikely to know much about writing (or anything else, probably). ;)

I tried this service out and scored an average of 4 stars, with 3 being the point where they read your script and contact you. They got in touch a few days ago to say that's they'd read my script and were impressed with the quality of the writing, but the actual setting (a greasy spoon cafe) was too unoriginal for them to pursue. I wanted to say "But what about Early Doors, set in a pub? What about the millions of flatshare sitcoms? Surely it's not the setting that matters, it's the characters that inhabit it!!!"

I didn't of course - I thanked them for their time and sent them a different script.

This truly is a huge problem for the aspiring writer. Everyone has different views. Everyone will tell you something different in terms of what they want, and what they think will sell. I used to think it was important to be malleable to different companies' needs. But increasingly I'm thinking the only correct thing to do is just write what you want to write and hope it lands on somebody's desk who thinks like you do.

Quote: Lee Henman @ October 22 2009, 11:15 AM BST

I tried this service out and scored an average of 4 stars, with 3 being the point where they read your script and contact you. They got in touch a few days ago to say that's they'd read my script and were impressed with the quality of the writing, but the actual setting (a greasy spoon cafe) was too unoriginal for them to pursue. I wanted to say "But what about Early Doors, set in a pub? What about the millions of flatshare sitcoms? Surely it's not the setting that matters, it's the characters that inhabit it!!!"

I didn't of course - I thanked them for their time and sent them a different script.

This truly is a huge problem for the aspiring writer. Everyone has different views. Everyone will tell you something different in terms of what they want, and what they think will sell. I used to think it was important to be malleable to different companies' needs. But increasingly I'm thinking the only correct thing to do is just write what you want to write and hope it lands on somebody's desk who thinks like you do.

Amen.

They got in touch a few days ago to say that's they'd read my script and were impressed with the quality of the writing, but the actual setting (a greasy spoon cafe) was too unoriginal for them to pursue.

So, you're a good enough writer. Why then complain about the premise? Why not say 'This bloke's a good writer, why not tell him what sort of sitcom we actually want and get him to write it?'

The fact that they haven't done that suggests they don't actually know what sitcom they want, just that it's not the one you've written.

It's not very encouraging, to be honest. All they seem to have done with this scheme is created a massive favour for themselves by getting the writers to dispense all the shite, so they can then reject all the better stuff! The writers don't seem to get too much from it. Now, I completely agree that reading and critiquing other people's scripts has helped my writing no end -- in fact, I actually quite enjoy doing it -- but I'm not completely convinced of the benefit of doing it for someone else, just for somebody to reject my script for being well-written!

:)

just write what you want to write

So, yes! Completely agree! More pertinently, I think the best way of looking at it is to forget about trying to make a career out of it -- do it for the love of writing comedy and then at least it's more fun as the pressure disappears.

Dan

Quote: swerytd @ October 22 2009, 3:24 PM BST

More pertinently, I think the best way of looking at it is to forget about trying to make a career out of it

Dan

No can do. Writing funny stuff is already my career. I'm just trying to further it.

Not you, obviously -- people like me ;)

Dan

I have spoken to Jan about the concerns raised in this thread and have come to conclusion that it is a fantastic opportunity that first time writers should grab with both hands and something I will now be diving into. Yes, you will get honest feedback that you might not agree with and no, there will be no copywrite issues from reading other people's scripts.

Plus, if you do get a dialogue with a producer such as Jan or (holy of holies) you get offered an option by Screenplay then you should grab it with both hands - from personal experience, he will work all hours God sends to do your script justice.

Quote: Stan Doubt @ October 27 2009, 5:59 PM BST

Plus, if you do get a dialogue with a producer such as Jan or (holy of holies) you get offered an option by Screenplay

Bloody hell he's not setting up a church of Scientology as well down there is he? :D

I've got my first piece of feedback for my script and I'm happy with it. It's mainly good with some interesting negatives. I think my average score is 3.33 out of 5, but am not sure. how do you calculate the average? :$

Quote: earman2009 @ October 31 2009, 5:13 PM BST

I've got my first piece of feedback for my script and I'm happy with it. It's mainly good with some interesting negatives. I think my average score is 3.33 out of 5, but am not sure. how do you calculate the average? :$

Add the marks together and then divide by the number of marks. So if you got

add them together and divide by three. :)

Quote: Roodeye @ October 22 2009, 10:39 AM BST

The website is not impressive.

I dunno. I quite like this bit; Whistling nnocently

http://www.screenplayproductions.ltd.uk/Talent/index%20talent.htm