Total newbie looking for critique

Hi all,

As a lorry driver I get lots of time whilst driving to think up ideas for jokes and general comedy. Here's a few ideas I got just today whilst on a 9 hour drive back up the M1. I would appreaciate any comments, good or bad and won't take offence if you are too critical. Thanks.

Dunstable

They say Kent is the garden of England, if this is so, then Dunstable is definitely the sewage pipe. Really, I was parked up on the high street for 45 minutes and witnessed more thuggery and lawlessness in 45 minutes than in five 80’s action films. A scruffy looking girl with, I presume her boyfriend, but could easily have been her customer or pimp appears from this dark alley and after standing on the corner for 10 minutes comes over to where I’m parked and offers me a make up set, to TREAT my wife with. I’m sure my wife would have been thrilled with a Morgan make up set, that I bought off some lowlife on the street for a fiver. Now if we went to the department store at the weekend and spent 4 times that amount on the exact same thing, I’m sure she’d be over the moon.

M69

If anyone has been on the M1 around the midlands area, have you noticed the signs for the M69. I wonder if this motorway finishes in Cockermouth.

Foot & Mouth

I heard this week that there are more outbreaks of F & M in surrey. How do they test for this, I always imagine 2 men with beards and clipboards going round each cow and saying something like, “OK, now for the first cow, foot?” “check 4 of” “and mouth?” “check 1 of”

Trains

Why are trains the only mode of transport where technology has gone backwards. They used to be reliable, comfortable even luxurious, but now they are cramped, dirty and the amazing thing is, we pay the same amount for standing, sometimes unable to move an inch, as the bloke sat down at the table reading his paper in relative comfort, that was lucky enough to get on at the stop just before yours. The best you can hope for whilst in this crush, is a pair of large breasts being thrust under your chin, but at the other end of the scale is the pervert rubbing his cock between your arse cheeks and you can’t do anything about it. This problem is mainly a British thing though, in some countries their trains go hundreds of miles an hour without even touching the rails; they hover above them. We can’t even get ours to run properly ON the rails if it’s the wrong snow, wrong leaves. The only time our trains leave the rails, is when a team of railway workers clock off for the day and forget to put everything back as it was.

A comedian named Jeff Innocent has been doing a similar joke to your Dunstable one for years. "They say Kent is the garden of England which must make Essex the patio." I only mention it because he's a big bloke and prone to becoming enraged.

I think the trains one would make good stand up, it made me laugh, I didn't enjoy the others as much though.

We have a taxi driver on here too and another (anonymous) trucker! I used to be on the road 5 days a week too as a sales rep and would come up with ideas on the long motorway runs.

I think writing monologue/stand up is the hardest thing to make funny so you've picked a 'hard road'! I liked the M69 gag best.

Good luck and welcome to BSG! :)

Yeah - welcome. It does really need to be performed. Are you that man? Do you have a style?

Hi Wayne, Welcome to the BSG Wave

I thought the stuff was good. I have a motorway routine which is pretty poor but my personal favorite joke I refuse to leave out is 'I always know when I'm getting too tired to drive when I see the sign that says 'Tidiness Kills' It never gets a big laugh and once it got the reaction of collective puzzlement which was hilarious... afterwards.

Adam

Hi again,

Thanks for the feedback, much appreaciated. I wouldn't dream of going on stage, as much as I would love to be able to, I just think it takes more than a good joke to pull it off. People like Lee Evans, Billy Connolly and other top comics can make even the most mundane story sound funny and interesting, whereas if most people told the same gag/story, they would be met with a look of bewilderment. I'd be more than happy to write for other people and let them take the credit.

Loved the tidiness can kill joke btw.

Quote: Wayne Copley @ September 23, 2007, 11:26 AM

Loved the tidiness can kill joke btw.

You're the first Laughing out loud