Tom Petty
Ramones
Clash
Pixies
Tom Waits
Terrorvision
Megadeth
Girls Aloud

Be honest. Girls Aloud are only there because of the way they look.

Quote: moonvisage @ September 17 2009, 6:25 PM BST

I've always been a fan of the stranglers with hugh cornwell.When hugh left and came out with his solo stuff,i only then realized how much of him went into the stranglers that I liked so much.so,i am now a fan of hugh cornwell and his solo stuff.

I saw the Stranglers live last year and I have to say the new lead singer is very, very sexy. Lovey

But he's not Hugh Cornwell though is he. I gave up listening to them after the first album without HC. They sounded lightweight without him and The Stranglers were never lightweight before - so it's not really the Stranglers now is it. It's obvious that the best writing came from HC, I just wish he didn't have to leave to prove it. Then there was that lovely voice. I didn't know the old new guy had left, lots of people liked him, wasn't a bad singer in his own right. The HC Stranglers were always fantastic live, always a huge buzz to their gigs, especially in Guildford. Was it an ego clash thing with him and the massively overhyped JJBurnell? A very distinctive musician but not the creative force some thought he was. Is there still a lot of rancour between him and HC, I don't know?

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ September 18 2009, 10:05 PM BST

But he's not Hugh Cornwell though is he. I gave up listening to them after the first album without HC. They sounded lightweight without him and The Stranglers were never lightweight before - so it's not really the Stranglers now is it. It's obvious that the best writing came from HC, I just wish he didn't have to leave to prove it. Then there was that lovely voice. I didn't know the old new guy had left, lots of people liked him, wasn't a bad singer in his own right. The HC Stranglers were always fantastic live, always a huge buzz to their gigs, especially in Guildford. Was it an ego clash thing with him and the massively overhyped JJBurnell? A very distinctive musician but not the creative force some thought he was. Is there still a lot of rancour between him and HC, I don't know?

I might not have given it as much thought as you have :$ but I agree they lost their bite when Cornwell left, but I did really enjoy the gig with the new guy. It definitely was the next best thing!

Quote: Jackson Neil @ July 17 2009, 9:39 AM BST

Best live gigs I've been to: The Cramps,

I'm soooo jealous. :$

Beatles.
Elvis Presley.
Ben Folds Five.
The Divine Comedy.
Squeeze.
Billy Joel.
Barenaked Ladies.
And all the great Motown stuff.

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ September 18 2009, 10:37 PM BST

Ben Folds Five.

Yes.

Quote: zooo @ September 18 2009, 10:51 PM BST

Yes.

You like Yes as well? I didn't think they'd be your style.

Unimpressed

I'm listening to them now - Yes that is - not Them - and really I think they were the perfect band (apart from the lyeics (OK that doesn't make them perfect then)).

But they could really rock, do funk, jazz, pop, classical stuff and maybe disco. They really had musical geniuses in every department - Wakeman and Moraz on keyboards, Howe and Rabin on guitars, White and Bruford on drums, Squires bass playing and Anderson's voice. Not to mention....

Probably Bowie.

The Clash
Rancid
U.S. Bombs
Manic Street Preachers

Quote: Balf @ July 18 2009, 10:22 PM BST

Roy Orbison

Funny you should mention Roy Orbison; this site is quite interesting:

I like to write stories about Roy Orbison being wrapped up in cling-film.