Actor or actress changes Page 2

Quote: Tim Walker @ September 17 2009, 7:04 PM BST

BTW, which one do you think was better?

Great question. There could probably be a whole thread based on this question. I'd definitely say Grandad.

And (as has been mentioned on another thread here) don't forget Neil Stuke replacing Ben Chaplin as Matt in Series 2 of Game On, with Samantha Janus then commenting on Becky in Roseanne (but starring at Stuke): "Don't you just hate that when they keep the same character and change the actor?"

One replacement that upset me as a kid was when Tonpei Hidari replaced Toshiyuki Nishida as Pigsy in Monkey, though the same voice actor continued to dub the character, so it wasn't too traumatic.

Another change was in On The Buses. In the 1st Series Mrs. Butler was played by Dame Cicely Courtneidge before she was replaced by Doris Hare (who was original choice but unavailable for filming of the first series). ;)

I think there were three actors who played Malcolm in Terry and June. First, there was Terence Alexander in series 1 and 2, then Tim Barrett in series 3 to 7 and lastly John Quale in series 8 and 9.

Also a change in the father in Citizen Smith.

It started off with the great Peter Vaughan then Tony Steedman took over (appearance wise very similar but performance-wise there was no comparison).

In (70s show) The Fall And Rise Of Reginald Perrin Reggie's son-in-law (the "bearded prig") Tom was first played by Tim Preece, before being replaced in the last series by Leslie Schofield. (Preece was better IMO.)

In Cheers the elderly barman Coach was replaced by an insane, rapidly balding, drug addict.

The writers tried to con us by saying he was dead. What a lazy cop out.

I say thank goodness nobody else played Private Walker after James Beck's death. Likewise thank goodness nobody played Rangi Ram after Michael Bates death. Perry & Croft were right on two instances here as the performances of the two were quite strong.
On the subject of Vaughn being replaced by Steedman in Citizen Smith, these two were two of three actors to play Charles Johnson. In the pilot, he was Welsh and played by Antro Morris.

Quote: Aaron @ September 17 2009, 4:55 PM BST

I'm re-watching Up Pompeii! at the moment

:|

Quote: Craig @ September 17 2009, 8:19 PM BST

Also a change in the father in Citizen Smith.

It started off with the great Peter Vaughan then Tony Steedman took over (appearance wise very similar but performance-wise there was no comparison).

Actually there were 3 actors who played Shirley's dad; a Welsh actor called Artro Morris played him in the pilot.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ September 17 2009, 7:02 PM BST

I used to enjoy the time displacement of Neighbours. Somebody would leave when they were like 12 and come back a year later played by a different actor and would suddenly be 17 years old.

My favourite though was when Henry (Craig McLachlan) died on the show. They mentioned him being for dead for like two weeks and then he was never mentioned again.

'Sometimes, I still miss Henry.'

'Who?'

'Yeah, f**k 'im.'

lol, Henry didn't die.

Quote: zooo @ September 17 2009, 4:48 PM BST

Oh yes. They did that with Martin Fowler. Was a good move. Is more understandable with kids. When it's adults, I think they should scrap the character and replace it with a new one.

They had to replace Martin as the original actor died. And I see no one has mentioned Goodnight Sweetheart yet.

Quote: peter gazzard @ September 18 2009, 9:02 AM BST

And I see no one has mentioned Goodnight Sweetheart yet.

I was gonna :) Two changes at once, whoo-hoo. Not good.

And, yes, I hate it. It's just not the same.

It is less annoying when they change the actors for the recurring characters (Frasier's first wife, for example), or have the same actors playing different characters in related series (couple of actors guesting on Friends later went on to play recurring characters in Joey).
But it is still annoying. :D

And 2 Kochanskis, 2 Krytens, and 2 Hollys in Red Dwarf.

Ultimate example has to be Potter where Robin Bailey replaced the deceased Arthur Lowe in the lead. I seem to recall he was actually the better fit for the part.

Quote: Kenneth @ September 17 2009, 7:27 PM BST

One replacement that upset me as a kid was when Tonpei Hidari replaced Toshiyuki Nishida as Pigsy in Monkey, though the same voice actor continued to dub the character, so it wasn't too traumatic.

Yes, I remember that! I prefered the original guy.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ September 17 2009, 9:47 PM BST

In Cheers the elderly barman Coach was replaced by an insane, rapidly balding, drug addict.

The writers tried to con us by saying he was dead. What a lazy cop out.

Who was the first female lead (before Kirsty Ally)? My half sister looks like her.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ September 17 2009, 7:02 PM BST

I used to enjoy the time displacement of Neighbours. Somebody would leave when they were like 12 and come back a year later played by a different actor and would suddenly be 17 years old.

My favourite though was when Henry (Craig McLachlan) died on the show. They mentioned him being for dead for like two weeks and then he was never mentioned again.

'Sometimes, I still miss Henry.'

'Who?'

'Yeah, f**k 'im.'

He was in the original pilot for My Hero and was replaced unfortunately.

Quote: Kenneth @ September 17 2009, 7:27 PM BST

And (as has been mentioned on another thread here) don't forget Neil Stuke replacing Ben Chaplin as Matt in Series 2 of Game On, with Samantha Janus then commenting on Becky in Roseanne (but starring at Stuke): "Don't you just hate that when they keep the same character and change the actor?"

Actually that is an in in joke. Because on Roseanne when they did it Becky and the rest were watcing Bewitched with the new Husband appearing for the first time and Becky said the exact same thing!