Sitcom films

Just would like to know what is the best sitcom flim made. My top 3 would be:

1. Holiday On The Buses

2. Steptoe And Son (the one with the stripper).

3. Porridge The Movie

I don't really like these to be fair - most of them don't work.

Although I would agree that Porridge is very good!

If it counts: South Park.

I don't know about the best but I'd have to rate Hotel Paradiso as one of the worst.

It's interesting how so few sitcoms work on the big screen. Even something as utterly fabulous as The League of Gentlemen didn't entirely work, though it wasn't a disaster the way many, many TV to film sitcoms are.

Tough call to expand a half hour sit-com and justify it as worthwhile. It's rarely done these days but In the Loop is one of the funniest spin-offs I've seen and the scope of its ambition justified its length (unlike the Grace Brothers off to the Coast Del Plonka).

Till Death Us Do Part is a well made spin-off which follows the cowardly and loathsome Alf Garnett through the war years.

They haven't made a Spaced film, but I very much like the movies that group have gone on to make. And I suppose Shaun Of The Dead came out of a Spaced episode.

Quote: David Bussell @ September 11 2009, 11:30 AM BST

I don't know about the best but I'd have to rate Hotel Paradiso as one of the worst.

I've never seen that one, but I do love Guest House Paradiso.

In The Loop.

The Dad's Army movie is very good, and the Steptoe ones are indeed highly entertaining.

Quote: Aaron @ September 11 2009, 1:32 PM BST

The Dad's Army movie is very good, and the Steptoe ones are indeed highly entertaining.

Agreed. Chuck in the Porridge film and you've got the best of the 1970s sitcom film versions by far.

And I have a soft spot for the On The Buses films.

The first Steptoe movie for me, a brilliant expansion of the half-hour series.

Poignant and hilarious.

The Bless This House film is a favourite of mine.

Has anyone other than me seen the big screen version of Father, Dear Father? No? You lucky f**kers.

Quote: john lucas 101 @ September 11 2009, 1:31 PM BST

In The Loop.

That was very, very good.