Two Pints - Which is your favourite series? Page 2

Quote: hey_nonny @ July 17 2009, 4:03 PM BST

Yep, 2 specials this year then it's dead, according to mirror.co.uk

Yup. Party round my house?

(Sorry, I know it's not that bad, but I'm still struggling to find any love for this show)

We don't have BBC Three so it's never got in my way, no huge loss or anything.

1-5 were pretty good and the musical was excellent, then it went steadily downhill. Case of the actors getting older but the characters not.

Is there a series where they all die? If so, that one.

Quote: Nil Putters @ July 17 2009, 5:56 PM BST

Is there a series where they all die? If so, that one.

There is an episode where they all die.

Your post is typical of many people who deride a show in that they clearly are obviously fairly unfamiliar with. (Nil, I'm not singling you out, by the way, so please don't take it personally). This is evident when people say 'the blonde one' rather than using the character's name. To them this show is a bit like James Blunt or John Prescott in that it is shorthand for shite.

But in the same way that neither of those people are especially terrible at their jobs, neither is Two Pints especially bad as a sitcom. If you've watched every episode several times - as I have, thanks to a punishing BBC Three repeat schedule (double bill two nights a week) and private work deadlines you'd know that some of the episodes are actually rather good. The relationship between Donna and Gaz is the most satisfying and clearly interests Nickson the most. The playing is very good and you can see Natalie Casey and Will Mellor working very hard to get the most out of the lines and situations. There is also genuine chemistry between them. Given this it's rather surprising that it is the 'nothing-special' Sheridan Smith and the execrable Ralf Little who have gone on to do much more in terms of other shows.

At her best, Nickson's writing is unpretentious and folkishly profound and engaging, as exemplified by the titles of two episodes from the early days of the show - Angry, Wangry and Bone With the Wind (Gaz's attempt to fill in a crossword).

To answer the OP's question, the best series is probably one of the first three, before Johnny started dating Kate and Nickson became too distanced from the character's lives.

Some of the latter episodes not written by Nickson are also good. 'Fat' by Ariane Sherrine, for example is excellent.

Do I make any sense when I say 'Two Pints' is a good show with likeable characters but a terrible, terrible comedy?

I have watched a fair few of the earlier episodes just because of that likeability factor and for more shallow reasons regarding Sheridan Smith.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ August 11 2009, 12:35 PM BST

There is an episode where they all die.

Your post is typical of many people who deride a show in that they clearly are obviously fairly unfamiliar with. (Nil, I'm not singling you out, by the way, so please don't take it personally). This is evident when people say 'the blonde one' rather than using the character's name. To them this show is a bit like James Blunt or John Prescott in that it is shorthand for shite.

But in the same way that neither of those people are especially terrible at their jobs, neither is Two Pints especially bad as a sitcom. If you've watched every episode several times - as I have, thanks to a punishing BBC Three repeat schedule (double bill two nights a week) and private work deadlines you'd know that some of the episodes are actually rather good. The relationship between Donna and Gaz is the most satisfying and clearly interests Nickson the most. The playing is very good and you can see Natalie Casey and Will Mellor working very hard to get the most out of the lines and situations. There is also genuine chemistry between them. Given this it's rather surprising that it is the 'nothing-special' Sheridan Smith and the execrable Ralf Little who have gone on to do much more in terms of other shows.

At her best, Nickson's writing is unpretentious and folkishly profound and engaging, as exemplified by the titles of two episodes from the early days of the show - Angry, Wangry and Bone With the Wind (Gaz's attempt to fill in a crossword).

To answer the OP's question, the best series is probably one of the first three, before Johnny started dating Kate and Nickson became too distanced from the character's lives.

Some of the latter episodes not written by Nickson are also good. 'Fat' by Ariane Sherrine, for example is excellent.

I've watched an entire series, so I think I'm allowed to say it's shit.

Interesting and well-made points. But this sitcom is still, for me, just a shallow, demeaning exercise in souless, joyless misanthropy. The fact that I don't find it funny is irrelevant to my dislike for it.

Quote: Nil Putters @ August 11 2009, 12:42 PM BST

Well, you can say that that series was shit, but nothing more.

Well, I've seen other episodes too. But I'm not gonna watch the entire run just so I can justify it being shit to you.

Go on! Why should I be the only one on here who had to watch it all!

Laughing out loud

You're suffering from a form of Stockholm Syndrome, you see?

Quote: Nil Putters @ August 11 2009, 12:42 PM BST

Which one? It has changed quite a bit over the years.

BTW, bravo to Godot.

Thanks mate.

First one I think, and part of the second.