Funniest British films? Page 4

The very fact that we see the holy family up the street from Brian's birth establishs that Brian is definately not Jesus.

The followers we see in the film are not Jesus' followers, so where does "the general message is that people who followed Jesus when he was alive the first time around didn't think for themselves" come from?

There is no suggestion that Brian's followers "just wanted a religion, and so hailed him as a messiah". Brian's followers already had a religion - they were Jewish. And 1st century Jews interpreted the prophecies of their holy book to refer specifically to a Jewish leader who would free them from Roman occupation, so yes, Jews at that time were looking for a messiah. Messiah, in a Jewish context refers to the anticipated king of the Davidic line prophesied by Isaiah, who will rule the Jewish people. If people were actively seeking their leader who's to say they wouldn't interpret every one of his actions as a sign?

"All the film's saying is that Christianity is nothing more than a mistaken interpretation of something witnessed first hand and it generally made a mockery of faith." - No, that's not all the film is saying. In fact is does not mention Christianity at all, as Christianity had not been invented at the time that the film was set. It does not mock faith, it mocks BLIND faith.

"It painted the followers - and, by association, Jesus' followers - as complete dunderheads and plainly suggested that not only could they not think rationally, but that they also promoted the religion to the extent that millions of humans would spend the next two thousand years chasing an illusion. " - It does nothing of the sort. It depicts Brian's followers as a group of people desperate for answers to massive questions, and grasping at straws when they believe they have found their leader. Again, Jesus' followers are not mentioned, but lets not forget that at that time Jesus only had 12 "official" followers, one of whom sold him to the Romans so that he could be nailed to a plank and another one who denied knowing him at all when it came to crunch time.

You have made big assumptions in your argument, and have flitted between Brian and Jesus as if they were the same character. Also, you only mention blasphemy once - "Brian's followers just wanted a religion and so hailed him the "Messiah" - and that's pretty blasphemous in itself" - and in doing so give it a new definition. Life of Brian does not defame God's name. FACT.

The reason I was talking about Brian and Jesus as if they were the same character was because I see Brian as a metephor for Jesus.

But Brian watches Jesus at the Sermon on the Mount! Brian is not Jesus. He denies repeatedly that he is the Messiah. There is no metaphor.

You have addressed none of my points re:the blasphemy issue. The bottom line is this - Life of Brian is not blasphemous. Saying that it is blasphemous does not make it so.

You can hold up an orange and call it an apple, but it's not one. It's a f**king orange.

I repeat:Life of Brian is not blasphemous (nor an orange).

Look, I'm not going to WASTE my time talking about this any longer. If we don't agree, we don't agree. And that's an end to it. All of this is off topic and EXTREMELY boring.

Hot Fuzz.

a) It's not off topic - we're discussing the content of a comedy film

b) It's not a question of agreeing - you are out and out wrong.

c) There is no point c

d) Why can't you just forgive them?

You don't have much in the way of maturity about you.

I say again - you have addressed none of the real points I have made. You cannot justify your position on this film with any type of hard evidence.
And you call me immature!

Look, I'm really bored of all of this. You have given twelve posts about this. I am no longer interested on who's right, who's wrong or even Life of Brian in general.

If you want to talk about Monty Python, let's chat about Holy Grail or Meaning of Life.

If that means that you admit that Life of Brian is not blasphemous, great.

Interestingly, God appears as Karl Marx in Monty Python and The Holy Grail.
Just an observation.

Talking of Monty Python, Michael Palin has a new series this Autumn. It's called Michael Palin's New Europe. I like those travelogues he does. My favourite was Around the World in 80 days because it was more of a challenge than his subsequence adventures.

Anyway, I say Hot Fuzz is the funniest British film. At least at the moment. I've never seen Shaun of the Dead, so I don't know about that, but Hot Fuzz was great. And what a remarkable cast! Bill Nighy, Jim Broadbent, Timothy Dalton ... The list goes on.

Shaun of The Dead is even better! In my opinion.
And also features Bill Nighy, and squillions of other lovely famous people. Including Keith Chegwin. Kind of.

I've watched SOTD half a dozen times and it's funny, but i've watched Hot Fuzz half a dozen times and I like it more. perhaps I just like swans, guns and violence more than zombies.

Quote: zooo @ September 1, 2007, 11:00 PM

And also features Bill Nighy, and squillions of other lovely famous people. Including Keith Chegwin. Kind of.

"And squillions of other lovely famous people."

I love that, it's dead funny!

By the way, everytime I click on a smiley face, nothing happens. Does anyone know why that is?

Quote: Dave @ September 1, 2007, 11:21 PM

Does anyone know why that is?

Poor coding ;)

You, as far as I know, have to enter them manually for now.

Hold your cursor over the smiley and it should tell you in your status bar, what the correct text is to type the smiley,

: ) = :) (without the space)

i watched LIFE OF BRIAN with my kids last night. they are 3 and 7 - and they both pissed themselves all the way through.

in my view it is the finest comedy film ever made.
slightly off topic - i would recommend ANCHORMAN - THE LEGEND OF RON BURGUNDY - as my favourite american comedy film.