Sitcom-ish Idea

I am currently writing what I would call a quick sitcom, which at the moment has the name 'Anti-Social'. It is basically a series of about ten, 10 minute episodes based on the social lives of a husband and wife in their 30s. Each episode is based on a different social occasion, be it dinner party, wedding, accidentle babysitting. I wanted to have it last only a short time because I hate sitcoms that seem to drag on, instead I wanted one precise and too the point, similar to the short series 'We Are History'(Anyone remember that?). Just wondered what you thought of it as a basic idea and if you had any experiences of social occassions that have gone horribly wrong.

It sounds good, I can imagine it being on Paramount Comedy, they show shorts in between shows or late at night or late at night, between shows.

:P

I've just remembered it sounds like the animation 'Bob & Marget', which I really enjoyed.

Maybe it could be slotted into a sketch show. Otherwise I don't think you'll be able to place it - althoughwhat do I know?

Quote: David Chapman @ September 1, 2007, 12:07 AM

Maybe it could be slotted into a sketch show. Otherwise I don't think you'll be able to place it - althoughwhat do I know?

What you don't know, could be written on an infinite amount of monkeys, for an infinite amount of time.

And what I do know could be written within this box .... this one here!

It's hard to say without seeing an example to be honest. 'We Are History' was great, but then so are most things written by Marcus Brigstocke!

Quote: Simon Stratton @ September 1, 2007, 9:53 AM

It's hard to say without seeing an example to be honest. 'We Are History' was great, but then so are most things written by Marcus Brigstocke!

Even - 'What's with personalised number plates? It doesn't say BOSS - it says B-O-5-5. Isn't that a clever observation that I did?'

Awful, awful comedian. Poor, obvious studenty observations, delivered in a really irritating smug way.

I like him.

Cheers for the feedback. I agree the problem could be finding somewhere to send it and what they would be able to do with it. BBC 2 have had a few comedy shorts before, such as 'We Are History' and series one of 'Look Around You'. Ill post some extracts on here when I'm happy with them to give you an idea of the style I'm going for. I originally wanted to do a 'quickcom' about a teachers staff room because my mum works at a school and i have quite a bit of material to write about, but then realised that would just be like a combination of Teachers and The Smoking Room. So I have started writing this and so far am quite pleased with it, that said it will probably join my long list of unfinished projects when I go off to uni next month.

Quote: David Chapman @ September 1, 2007, 12:36 AM

And what I do know could be written within this box .... this one here!

!-! :P :P

Stella Street was a great 10 minute sitcom which seemed to be crammed full of information.

Let's see if we can turn this into a conversation on Marcus Brigstocke! I think he's really funny. Didn't he have a sitcom a few years ago?

The quickcom idea sounds good by the way.

Love the avatar earman! That bit always cracks me up, it's so f'n weird.

I think Denholm's picture is a little squashed, but yeah it's a funny scene.

I have toyed with writing a short sitcom myself. Five minute episodes that are put onto Youtube. If you become a cult favourite you may get some TV/Radio exposure since a lot of shows are cashing in on Youtube's popularity. Of course, you'd also have to produce it.