How A Writer Dies - Blog Page 8

Quote: Lbug @ July 17 2009, 11:16 AM BST

Nothing since July - did he die early?

How about a hint?

I didn't mean that I knew what the reason was, there just must be a good reason why his work isnt being accepted.

Quote: Jacob Loves Comedy @ July 16 2009, 3:54 PM BST

but seriously there is a good reason why he hasn't had any work accepted for years despite the odd TV/radio credit, I wouldn't like to be the one that says what that reason is though.

Do I hear the sound of furious back-pedalling, JLC?

Seriously, if Marc B reads this section. DON'T GIVE UP. DON'T. DON'T. DON'T.

Have I made myself clear, Sir?

Quote: SlagA @ July 18 2009, 10:20 PM BST

Do I hear the sound of furious back-pedalling, JLC?

No I just didnt word it correctly initially. I have no idea why he hasnt had anything accepted in years but common sense must tell all of us that their must be a good reason.

I once heard a saying that "you'll never be successful unless you enjoy what you do". Thinking about it, it makes some sense, since how can you call it success if you don't enjoy it?

On the other hand, in life it seems that the more you enjoy doing something, the less financial reward you will get. Hence the starving artist, compared to the rich accountant. I'm lucky in this respect, because not only do I enjoy what I do, but I find human trafficking pays very well.

It's frustrating definitely when things don't work out but everything I've ever done (school magazine, books, scripts) has been geared towards becoming a writer, I just never realised it until two years ago, I don't want to quit even though in two years I've got tons of rejections, I don't have any other plans even though I'm only 20. Rejections are part of the game but all it takes is that one yes.

I hope Marc Blake doesn't mind us discussing his career.

Anyone else stayed with this?
Looks like he's not even going to make the year.
Grim stuff and not for the faint-hearted.

Hasn't he died yet? He's dragging it out a bit. :)

Sounds very healthy to me.

Comedy doesn't owe any of us a living; if you don't love it, it's probably best not to do it.

Quote: Mark Norton @ September 17 2009, 12:12 PM BST

Comedy doesn't owe any of us a living. If you don't love it; it's probably best not to do it.

Dear Mark,

I take issue with this statement on both points.

Yours,

D. Cohen
BBC Three

Quote: Tim Walker @ September 17 2009, 12:20 PM BST

Dear Mark,

I take issue with this statement on both points.

Yours,

D. Cohen
BBC Three

Whilst I'm all in favour of a bit of Danny Cohen bashing, and in many ways he deserves it, but he has also commissioned Being Human, which isn't bad. And whilst at Channel 4 he commissioned Skins, which was okay. And, crucially, he commissioned The Inbetweeners, which I think most of us would agree is jolly excellent.

Law of averages... Unimpressed

Uhh.... Just discovered this thread today. Iinterrestinggg. Well - you may comment, but I couldn't possibly say...

Quote: Marc Blake @ September 20 2009, 9:57 PM BST

Uhh.... Just discovered this thread today. Iinterrestinggg. Well - you may comment, but I couldn't possibly say...

Good first name anyway! ;)

His blog is now about this thread that's about his blog....

I fear he needs to get out more.

Or, I do.